Slum Village

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Just listening to them now on the new Futurism Ain't Shit to Me* compilation, and their track Set It is absolutely fantastic. I like the mix of Trigger The Gambler-like stuttery rapping and GZA-like rolling abstract lyrics. Anyone a fan of their albums and can recommend something?

* isn't that title awful?

gumdrops

i actually love that futurism aint shit to me title. its as if theyre assuming the trend is towards futurism and theyre bucking it with one title (when really, they should have named it retro-ism aint shit to me).

slum village is an odd group as their lineup has changed several times since they first arrived.

check out the j88 and fantastic vol 2 albums for the original line up of t3, baatin and jay-dee/j-dilla.

im not sure what to recommend of their other stuff, i like the trinity album they had after jay dee left, mainly for its intricate (if slightly sedate) electronic production, but the rhyming almost washes over you/becomes part of the beat from what i remember of it (which kinda makes it more interesting in a way)

their new album is a bit of a hodge podge of vaguely fantastic vol 2-style production and decent underground boom-bap type stuff.

blunt

shot by both sides
gumdrops said:
check out the j88 and fantastic vol 2 albums for the original line up of t3, baatin and jay-dee/j-dilla.

It seems to me that J Dilla was the one that kept the Slum Village project together. His stuff is the bomb. There was a thread about him not long ago; and I see that he has a new record coming out next month - anyone heard it?