is anyone here on myspace???????

petergunn

plywood violin
i is...............

www.myspace.com/axischemical

screens_feature2-1.jpg

Woebot

what is it about myspace? what exactly is appealing about it as a service? seems extremely trendy, i just don't get what makes it more useful than anyother form of web-space/medium...

tryptych

waiting for a time
WOEBOT said:
what is it about myspace? what exactly is appealing about it as a service? seems extremely trendy, i just don't get what makes it more useful than anyother form of web-space/medium...

I think it's just the most popular of the friend/networking websites. It's certainly seems to be important in the indie music biz - lots of people I know use it to find new bands or spread the word about their band to a wider audience. The built in music player thing definately helps.

Personally I hate the bloody thing, with its endless parade of hipsters listing as many cool references as possible. But it does have its uses.

petergunn

plywood violin
WOEBOT said:

it's a easy way to network and to have people hear your music. people who wouldn't neccesarily find out about your band website may find your myspace one. also a good way to find people interested in your little niche, whether it's grime, breakcore, etc etc...

i was anti-myspace for a while, but it's def. a good tool for bands. i don't think i could ever have a personal page, seems a bit too egocentric for me!

nomos

Administrator
myspace seriously hurts my head - all the wonky backgrounds, heavy code, bad formating, awful colours, music and videos starting and stopping... gah! it's like 1996-style homepages + blogging reborn in multimedia hell.

plus, from what i can tell the bulk of the conversation on there goes something like "hey sweetie, thanks for the add. did you go on friday?" etc.

maybe i'm just jealous because i can't relate and i know that if i start using it, it'll turn into one more unhealthy internet obsession. blogs, perpetually updated news sites and forums are enough for me. maybe it's because i recoil at the thought of putting that much of my personal life online and then feeling compelled keep it looking dynamic, make it bigger, acquire new 'friends.'

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
My most common site leaches are people using the Crass or Conflict logo in their myspace profiles.

They all seem to be teenagers though, so I let 'em off. But they wouldn't have been born when these bands were at their best... :confused:

nomos

Administrator
WOEBOT said:
seems extremely trendy
like the media arm of the american apparel/hollertronix/MIA/post-electromash whatever you call it now/nu-"80s"/uber-ironc pastiche/self-explotive/vicemag/etc. zeitgeist.

i know there's loads of varied stuff going on there (like the sites ^above^) but to me the system as a whole has this air about it. maybe it's just because the people first drawn to it were of that post-subcultural ilk. or because it's so obviously geared to marketing, market research, and acquisition of social space on the part of the user and the host.

Last edited:

adruu

This Is It
bigger than google apparently...

of course the blatant datamining for FOX is the worst part. the brutally ugly ui is pretty bad as well.

but i have to disagree that its just hipster types, there is a world of beer swilling fratboys and sorority broads on there.

tryptych

waiting for a time
autonomicforthepeople said:
myspace seriously hurts my head - all the wonky backgrounds, heavy code, bad formating, awful colours, music and videos starting and stopping... gah! it's like 1996-style homepages + blogging reborn in multimedia hell.

'

What is it with that? I saw someone's profile with falling objects (in this case their name) raining down across the screen.. and those tiled garish backgrounds. It's so horrible.