ewan pearson- sci fi hi fi vol. 1

• Thread starter simon silverdollar
  • Start date
S

simon silverdollar

got this mix over xmas, and can't stop listening to it. there's some truly beautiful music on here (lots of lovely, tingly poppy electro, and filtered rushes of techno arpeggios) and it's put together so well. what's more, it resolutely avoids obvious track selection choices, so it's all a bit of an adventure.

anyway, i LOVE IT and highly recommend it. if you only get ONE electro-housey mix this year etc etc...

Tim F

Argh I still haven't gotten this yet... And I ADORE Ewan Pearson as any man on the street could tell you.

Although they haven't had the air of epochal eventness about them that his 03 remixes did, I love how shiny and trebly and plasticky his remixes are at the moment, they're total sugar rushes. He and Jacques Lu Cont and Richard X seem to be part of this troika of pro-80s-Wagnerian-pomp hardliners. And I love it.

S

simon silverdollar

yeah the third track on sci fi hi fi is a ewan pearson remix and it's incredible- it's got this hazy, spacey bassline that you want to go on forever.

juliand

I really like this mix, "Lovebass" and "Maraud Your Ears" especially: Attractive slabs of prickly, sweaty squarebass.

The last half gets too tracky for my taste; I lose it somewhere around 'Key Generator." It holds back when I want the sounds to get _really_ corrosive or wildly ethereal, and instead it sortof just buzzes along--somethings a little too conservative/SOMA tee emm to really get loose

The first 2/3 are solid though

juliand

You can really hear Pearson's love of stuff like "Hounds of Love" or 1985-era Ryuichi Sakamoto in it--you can almost picture Kate Bush singing over the first track--and those stuttering vocal stabs in "Broken Dream" remind me of Arthur Baker's [awesome] remix of "Big Love"

S

simon silverdollar

juliand said:
I really like this mix, "Lovebass" and "Maraud Your Ears" especially: Attractive slabs of prickly, sweaty squarebass.

The last half gets too tracky for my taste; I lose it somewhere around 'Key Generator." It holds back when I want the sounds to get _really_ corrosive or wildly ethereal, and instead it sortof just buzzes along--somethings a little too conservative/SOMA tee emm to really get loose

The first 2/3 are solid though

yeah after the techno arpeggio business half way through it does go down slightly, when it starts being more straight up clashy electro, but it's more than redeemed by the gorgeous final track.

Tim F

Simon, have you heard DJ Naughty's <i>One (Naughty) Night In Berlin</i> mix yet? It's on a bit more of a post-Gigolo sleazy electro tip than the Pearson mix appears to be, but I think you'd like it a lot. It's incredibly dynamic and colourful.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Tim F said:
Simon, have you heard DJ Naughty's <i>One (Naughty) Night In Berlin</i> mix yet? It's on a bit more of a post-Gigolo sleazy electro tip than the Pearson mix appears to be, but I think you'd like it a lot. It's incredibly dynamic and colourful.
Yeah both of these are great. To whoever mentioned it above, not sure what's wrong with the last third of the Pearson mix!

Tim F

This thread forced my hand into buying this (I was previously wavering between getting this and getting Rub'n'Tug's <i>Campfire</i> mix, which will have to be next). Only listened to the first half but it's exactly the glittering trebly balearic biznizz I was hoping for. The first three tracks are amazing.

Simon have you heard any of the Reverso 68 remixes - e.g. of Manhead's "Doop" and Juan Maclean's "Tito's Way"? I think you'd like them, their similar to the stuff at the beginning of this mix.

(David I would hope you had heard these by now too!)

S

simon silverdollar

Tim F said:

yeah i actually bought this for a friend's birthday, so i need to borrow it off him so i can have a listen!

S

simon silverdollar

Tim F said:
This thread forced my hand into buying this (I was previously wavering between getting this and getting Rub'n'Tug's <i>Campfire</i> mix, which will have to be next). Only listened to the first half but it's exactly the glittering trebly balearic biznizz I was hoping for. The first three tracks are amazing.

Simon have you heard any of the Reverso 68 remixes - e.g. of Manhead's "Doop" and Juan Maclean's "Tito's Way"? I think you'd like them, their similar to the stuff at the beginning of this mix.

(David I would hope you had heard these by now too!)

i've heard the mix of tito's way- BIG tune! have reverso 68 done anything except remixes?

am also intrigued by disco inc. records at the moment- heard a track on the luminfire stypod mix recently and was blown away by the sheer, shameless blissiness of it...

S

simon silverdollar

DavidD said:
Yeah both of these are great. To whoever mentioned it above, not sure what's wrong with the last third of the Pearson mix!

don't think that anything's wrong with it really, just that it's not quite so amazing as the first 2/3s- but then few things are!

Tim F

juliand said:
You can really hear Pearson's love of stuff like "Hounds of Love" or 1985-era Ryuichi Sakamoto in it--you can almost picture Kate Bush singing over the first track--and those stuttering vocal stabs in "Broken Dream" remind me of Arthur Baker's [awesome] remix of "Big Love"

Ha ha Pearson bigs up the new Kate Bush album on his blog!

ambrose

agree with whats ben said. the opening of this is all shimmery, colourful, spangly stuff, then it dips in the 3rd quarter. gets a bit tracky, and i dont like the "i love you/i dont want to have sex with you" tunes, sort of (thoughi hate to say it, cos i dont know how else to describe it) as though 2001 and electrclash had never happened. but i seem to remember the end picking it up a bit.

but yeah i like this mix, its a bit different to what i normall listen to i guess.

ok i hate hate the vox on the summertime cowboy tune. my housemate spends all her time listening to brighton nu jazz and nu funk/soul stuff (tru thoughts etc) and she was like, i this tune, i love the original of this! maybe that put my off a bit but although i like the music, i hate the vocals on that.

ambrose

ok i listened again, and this mix is pretty much gold, apart from those 3 tracks. the last track really drags it back into gorgeousness!

Tim F

Some of the mixing on this CD is quite amazing. Esp the first track into the second track and then the second-last into the last - the beginning of the transition in both cases totally sounds like a logical unfolding of the groove, like the producer decided to throw in some really nice variation towards the end of the track.

The fact that Pearson leads a double life as a electro-house producer/cultural studies lecturer fills me with hope.

S

simon silverdollar

for those interested, ewan pearson is playing at cargo in london this saturday, with jeans team as well- 'sing eins zwei drei vier! etc.