What do you do for a quid?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I notice a few people here mention how they often go on trans-global flights or are English speaking and based in exoitc locales/ So I'm curious to know what some of you do for a quid to afford such mobility. Me? I'm am the IT equivalent of a plumber. Unfortunately, no woprk sponsored trip to Japan, New York, Berlin.

blunt

shot by both sides
Me, I'm a Flash designer/developer for an agency in London. So no jetset lifestyling for me, neither.

Nice thread. Intrigued to see how many people declare themselves, and how many prefer the relative anonymity of their handle ;)

jenks

thread death
as i have mentioned before - i am a teacher

i pay for my flights! let's not mention the holidays or dissensians dreadful memories of school. and no i don't have leather patches or a knitted tie

nomos

Administrator
phd student living on a teaching assistanceship, research jobs and scholarships. i spend my 'vacations' working and don't have a lot of extra $ for travel. i did make it over to london this past summer but a fun trip for us usually consists of a train ride to toronto or a day in montreal. big up the ISIC card.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
research. I sometimes get funded travel for conference presentations etc ... last year I got to Barcelona, Berlin, Paris, several places in Japan, Philly, etc for talks. it's a good deal.

john eden

male pale and stale
I am a charity bureaucrat. I get to go to Portsmouth tomorrow. Wooo.

In 1999, after saving up for 2 years, I went to South America for 3 months (Brazil/Bolivia/Peru).

Last year my partner worked her arse off with a corporate rather than charity client and I did some overtime. That financed our trip to Uganda.

tox

Factory Girl
Student scum here I'm afraid.

Its a good life and I'm studying japanese so at least I'm not wasting my time on a mickey mouse degree. No idea what to do afterwards though.

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
I'm now (as of December 1) an academic journal publisher. So a couple of free flights in my future, although mostly not trans-global.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
me teacher.

only working 9 months of the year potentially allows me to go away quite a lot, although this is limited somewhat by my girlfriend who is not a teacher and therefore has to work all year round :-0 .
i don't get to travel for free though, unless you count work trips to manchester and liverpool every now and then. which i don't

you know, its tough- i've got to work 4 1/2 more weeks before my next break!

i do own a jumper with (faux) leather patches. the only ties i own are ones that i have found but none of them are knitted, more's the pity.

martin

----
I've been a hack since 1997 - funnily enough, I got my first piece published the same week Diana pranged her car -when Lord Spencer showed up at the funeral, lambasting the media as existing at " the opposite end of the moral spectrum", I knew I'd found my calling in life. Been doing it full-time since the end of '99.

On the plus side, bagged loads of free trips to places like the Philippines, Hong Kong, Germany, Italy, Dubai, Scandinavia, Malta, Latvia,Cyprus (shithole), Southampton, Portsmouth, Falmouth, Newcastle and Liverpool. Also got given 2 free tickets to Tokyo for a week, just for meeting someone from a communications company who did some installation for Virgin. Subsequently, my family and friends think I am a smug, jammy snot who just gallivants around the world, and is much richer than he lets on - sadly, this isn't the case.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
i work in a biochemistry lab.
it's attached to a large hospital.
you go into hospital your blood ends up in my claws.
i sometimes get to go to A&E or maternity to fiddle with their machines.

a few years ago some collegues got to go to Birmingham but I didn't (wasn't really bothered tho...)
nb; photo ain't me!!!

Last edited:

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
I'm a business analyst. I work in finance, so this means that I spend my days looking for new ways in which to move imaginary money around with computers. No travel to exotic locales, but I did travel some for a previous job and found that all I ever really got to see were hotels, conference centers and identikit offices. In locales that weren't all that exotic.

zhao

there are no accidents
motion (and otherwise) designer. I've been trying to save up to travel, and maybe move to a new place all together. I've turned 30 and don't want to rot away in LA for the rest of my life.

maybe Berlin, maybe Beijing, this firm in Leeds offered to sponsor me if I moved there but I think if it was England London would be more my speed.

if I take a trip sometime this year would be lovely to meet up with one of you limeys for a, um, pint or something.

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
i'm a lazy stude, wasting time on the internet at the tax payer's expense -and i study art so i won't even graduate with a worthwhile degree!

geto.blast

snap on rims
i did the world traveller hobo thing from about 7 years now you can t make me leave my basement anymore , drives my wife nuts.

Grafta

I'm a signwriter. I get to put stickers on things for a living. Not overly glamorous or jetsetting but plenty of time to mess around online.
Its interesting to know how people get to spend time posting in here.

I'm a muthfuckin pimp you better axe somebody...

...seriously though I'm a self employed entertainment and production technician mostly doing rigging/flyman for theatre/rock n roll and some art dept stuff for movies/ads/tv when it's on . I also do a bit of grafix for my screenprinting biz and produce music in my sparetime. My lady is props mistress for the opera and lighting technician who does vision switching for TV

seen so many bigname gigs from behind the scenes can't remember em all but it's just another job really...