Breezeblock Dubstep Warz on Radio 1

Dubquixote

Submariner
Just wanted to say to those who missed that this was an absolutely massive, historic night of music. Please please make an effort to catch this in the archives. Two hours of dubstep's heavy hitters in the mix: Digital Mystikz, Skream, Hatcha, Loefah, Kode 9, Distance, Vex'd. Non-stop bangers from beginning to end. If you have your doubts about the sound or haven't given it a proper chance before make this the one set you check.

Massive respect to all involved!

Kuma

The Konspirator
Emotional.
Seriously, very, very big. BBC archive in real format in the morning and watch for mp3s I'm sure...

matt b

Indexing all opinion
listened to it today- very good too. not as good as youngsta/loafah/task on rinse, but there you go.

hardly revolutionary given the programme- 'unheard beats' are what breezeblock does every now and then.

ms hobbes' voice still grates though.

3underscore

Dubquixote said:
Jeez, I can't believe so few people have something to say about this show. The quality of music was just on a very high level throughout, with an incredible number of previously unheard beats.

It goes out midnight to 2am on a Monday night in the UK, and the Breezeblock is typically pretty mediocre nowadays. I would expect most people were unaware and missed it. I would count myself amongst that number, though I would have been asleep by then anyway!

bassnation

the abyss
3underscore said:
It goes out midnight to 2am on a Monday night in the UK, and the Breezeblock is typically pretty mediocre nowadays. I would expect most people were unaware and missed it. I would count myself amongst that number, though I would have been asleep by then anyway!

anyone know if theres an mp3 on the web somewhere? can't play real player unfortunately. sounds wicked though.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
bassnation said:
anyone know if theres an mp3 on the web somewhere? can't play real player unfortunately. sounds wicked though.

i'm sure one will turn up, but its not essential imo.

bassnation

the abyss
matt b said:
i'm sure one will turn up, but its not essential imo.

i picked up a copy of dubstep allstars vol 2 by youngsta - its good but its pretty much what he plays on the rinse shows, almost right down to the same track order - also felt it was missing some of his dj tricks, seemed like it was mixed end to end on pc - certainly smooth enough.

don't get me wrong, not dissing the cd cos it is worthwhile - just kind of hard to capture the feel that the live rinse shows have.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
bassnation said:
i picked up a copy of dubstep allstars vol 2 by youngsta - its good but its pretty much what he plays on the rinse shows, almost right down to the same track order - also felt it was missing some of his dj tricks, seemed like it was mixed end to end on pc - certainly smooth enough..

that's probably the problem at the moment- as 'dubstep' coalesces into a genre proper, the djs don't have huge numbers of tunes to choose from- last night a fair amount of the music (half?-at least) was stuff i first heard 6 months ago

bassnation

the abyss
matt b said:
that's probably the problem at the moment- as 'dubstep' coalesces into a genre proper, the djs don't have huge numbers of tunes to choose from- last night a fair amount of the music (half?-at least) was stuff i first heard 6 months ago

plus a lot is still unreleased - so when it is eventually out on vinyl don't feel like buying it cos it sounds old and the scenes moved on. the dubplate thing has been discussed to death on here, but it still bugs me not being able to buy what i'm hearing.

nomos

Administrator
bassnation said:
i picked up a copy of dubstep allstars vol 2 by youngsta - its good but its pretty much what he plays on the rinse shows, almost right down to the same track order - also felt it was missing some of his dj tricks, seemed like it was mixed end to end on pc - certainly smooth enough.

don't get me wrong, not dissing the cd cos it is worthwhile - just kind of hard to capture the feel that the live rinse shows have.

Yeah it definitely lacks the energy of his shows - just fading one track into the next really. Excellent selection but limited by Youngsta's policy of only playing Skream, D1 and DMZ stuff.

I'm really looking forward to Kode9 + Space Ape on Dubstep Allstars 3. Huge set list and, I'm guessing, Space Ape on the mic too...

Dubstep Allstars Vol.3
Kode9 feat. the Spaceape

1. Kode9 - Nine Samouri (hyperdub)
2. Pressure & Warrior Queen - Dem a Bomb We (dub)
3. Geneeus - U Know Me(dub)
4. Digital Mystikz - Haunted(dub)
5. Skream - I (Loefah remix) (dub)
6. D1 - Bamboo (dub)
7. Skream - Groovin(dub)
8. Digital Mystikz - New LIfe Baby Paris(dub)
9. Calenda - Forever(dub)
10. Digital Mystikz - Heartless Ninja(dub)
11. Skream - 0800 dub(dub)
12. Digital Mystikz- Molten(dub)
13. Skream - Tortured Soul(dub)
14. Digital Mystikz - Intergalactic(dub)
15. Loefah - Ruffage(dub)
16. DJ Krave - Minor Skank(dub)
17. N-Type - Way of the Dub(dub)
18. Skream - Colourful(dub)
19. Benga - Mammoth(Plasticman Remix)(dub)
20. Random Trio - Haunted Rmx(dub)
21. Skream - Korma (dub)
22. D1 - ET (dub)
23. Plasticman - Unhappy Shopper (dub)
24. Blackdown - Dis/east (dub)
25. Geiom - Overnight Biscuits(dub)
26. D1 - Cocaine (dub)
27. Random Trio - Rebel(dub)
28. Burial - Prayer(dub)

dogger

Sweet Virginia
"hardly revolutionary given the programme- 'unheard beats' are what breezeblock does every now and then."

well, it's not of course the first time dubstep dj's have played on radio 1, and yes, it probably passed by most people who don't follow the scene anyway. /but/ the more people on commercial radio sit up and take notice the better, and from small beginnings etc etc....

in terms of the quaity of the sets, i'd say good but not great. the tracks were all good, sure. but the very fact that all these luminaries were crammed into the studio at once actually seemed to work against the quality of the performance - no one had the necessary length of time to build a proper set. it did feel a bit bitty.

that's not to undermine the quality of the individual performances - the format was at fault, not the dj's. and hearing the space ape live was a real treat.

3underscore

bassnation said:
i picked up a copy of dubstep allstars vol 2 by youngsta ... also felt it was missing some of his dj tricks, seemed like it was mixed end to end on pc - certainly smooth enough.

It was certainly mixed Live.

Interesting to see the tracklist of dubstep allstars three. Spaceape should be interesting. Am still gutted you can't get their Ghost Town cover. Absolutely awesome when we put them on live.

tate

Brown Sugar
3underscore said:
It was certainly mixed Live.

with the ascendancy of Ableton Live the upper case there is a bit ambiguous . . . see Deep Blue's Ableton Live mix for Knowledge mag last year etc etc, not that I doubt Youngsta's DJ skills for one second, was just curious about 3underscore's meaning

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
dogger said:
"hardly revolutionary given the programme- 'unheard beats' are what breezeblock does every now and then."

well, it's not of course the first time dubstep dj's have played on radio 1, and yes, it probably passed by most people who don't follow the scene anyway. /but/ the more people on commercial radio sit up and take notice the better, and from small beginnings etc etc....

in terms of the quaity of the sets, i'd say good but not great. the tracks were all good, sure. but the very fact that all these luminaries were crammed into the studio at once actually seemed to work against the quality of the performance - no one had the necessary length of time to build a proper set. it did feel a bit bitty.

that's not to undermine the quality of the individual performances - the format was at fault, not the dj's. and hearing the space ape live was a real treat.

the format was 15 minutes each or something to showcase each artist so no wonder it was bitty as it swapped artists tracks every 15, seems like a good idea to me.
i think breezeblock has quite a strong following esp with the people who re-listen to the show via the net , its one of those shows that break smaller artists .

mms

sometimes
Tate said:
with the ascendancy of Ableton Live the upper case there is a bit ambiguous . . . see Deep Blue's Ableton Live mix for Knowledge mag last year etc etc, not that I doubt Youngsta's DJ skills for one second, was just curious about 3underscore's meaning

youngstas a strictly turntables and dubplates man.

mpc

wasteman
i listened to this.

i noticed skream has the best beats by far.

the digital mystikz set was pretty boring.

the rest was ok

Logos

Ghosts of my life
I thought it was a very good show, the 15 minute sets were there to showcase a spectrum of sounds and I think they achieved that. Loefah especially killed it.

After the utter joy of Saturday night's DMZ rave this was the perfect end to the weekend.

Dubstep allstars 2 was very similar to the rinse sets but it was/is a great way to hear the tunes loud in hi quality at home, you can't do that at 192kbps!

Anyway the vibe of the rinse sets is down to the tunes/mixing/MC Task/"shout out to the 813" etc etc which is hard to reproduce on a cd mix.