m.r. james ghost stories bbc4

mms

sometimes
Did anyone see these over christmas - they were the greatest treat, all twighlight English Countryside and quiet tense fear, a warning to the curious based in the norfolk coast was the highlight, just an blurred figure following the lead character along the coastline where the sea meets the sky for the most part, really capturing that strange feeling in your chest you get when you're walking down a dark country lane at night alone.
Minimalist really.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/cinema/features/ghost-stories.shtml

mms said:
Did anyone see these over christmas - they were the greatest treat, all twighlight English Countryside and quiet tense fear, a warning to the curious based in the norfolk coast was the highlight, just an blurred figure following the lead character along the coastline where the sea meets the sky for the most part, really capturing that strange feeling in your chest you get when you're walking down a dark country lane at night alone.
Minimalist really.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/cinema/features/ghost-stories.shtml

I walked around Kelvedon Hatch 'secret nuclear bunker' pretty much on my own last week - there was a couple about 5 minutes behind me and some pensioners about 10 minutes in front (there's a route through the place - it's huge by the way). Well, it felt pretty uncanny most of the time. Whatever was left of London after a thermonuclear attack would have been 'governed' from there. In fact, the place is only mothballed and could be reoccupied by my namesake at any time. It struck me how arrogant it would be for the govt. to even consider continuity after failing in the duty so much that the country had been destroyed. The entrance tunnel had been designed to maximise the effect of defensive fire by the occupants if any enraged locals happened to break in, so a certain amount of guilty realism is built into the place.

It wasn't the mannequins, the gloom or the corridors that were the problem. It was the feeling that had the worst happened, it would have been intolerably miserable and crowded in there. An utterly banal, piss-stinking, muggy end for the British state. Ghosts of the future and unhappened pasts seemed to be pawing at the veil of reality. But at the same time, it was fucking cool to have the place to myself.

Last edited:

k-punk

Spectres of Mark
The M.R. James adaptations were indeed fantastic (bit galling actually as only a couple of weeks before they were broadcast I'd shelled out for a DVD of A Warning to the Curious). I can just about remember when they were a regular part of Christmas.... ideal for TV, stripping out much of what is annoying in the stories (the 'harrumphing colonialism' as the Guardian put it), capturing the brooding stillness of the landscape in a way that James' prose can only allude to...

btw, great post HMG... is that hatch now open as a tourist attraction then?

k-punk said:
btw, great post HMG... is that hatch now open as a tourist attraction then?

It is, but it doesn't attract many tourists on a bleak Thursday afternoon. The free audio handset supplies a blackly understated and mildly seditious commentary. The entrance fee is a fiver in their honesty box on the way out, but you have to take cash. Despite sitting atop one of the best-connected nodes in the nation's infostructure, the management no longer accept card payments thanks to chip and pin.

One of the best jokes is left until you're on your way out into the open. It's along the sames lines as the Strategic Air Command dutifully replacing the CFCs in nuclear warheads to protect the ozone layer.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Did anyone see these over christmas - they were the greatest treat?"

I didn't (I haven't got a tv) but I'm curious. I've seen clips of Whistle and I'll Come to You before and I thought that it looked really good/creepy. Strangely enough I was looking it up yesterday and it looks as though it is easily available to buy though people seemed to have mixed opinions about it. Was it actually any good?

mms

sometimes
bunkers are very interesting -the whole premise is interesting
i used to know know a guy who's done some in depth exploring at rudloe manor, he reckons it's all still kept pretty much guarded by secret services, and is protected as rudloe computer centre, even though pictures and experience of 'bunker busters' says different.

'In the 1950s, in response to the Soviet Union's explosion of the atom bomb and subsequent development of the more powerful Hydrogen bomb, the British government began a frantic programme of hardening and building underground facilities to try to ensure the survivability of the government and establishment. The Corsham area, with its already extensive underground areas, was chosen as the wartime seat of power in case of nuclear war.

Utilising the London to Bath railway which run through the base, through the Box tunnel, the government could evacuate quickly from Whitehall to the Hawthorn Central Government War Headquarters. An underground siding was constructed so trains could come straight into the underground base.

All of this was kept secret. News of construction of underground bunkers throughout the country, known as RSGs (Regional Seats of Governments) for local government officials as well as tunnels and bunkers under London had leaked out, causing a major row and acute embarrassment for the government, with MI5 called in to track down the culprits, who were known as the "Spies for Peace" group. No money was being put forward for large scale construction of deep public shelters, confirmed Harold Macmillan in a speech to the Commons.

In fact, the government was secretly building one very large deep shelter for itself. Chapman Pincher, a defence correspondent who claimed to have been taken into the governments confidence, was calling for the Spies for Peace group to face the gallows, but he also stated:

"There is a bomb proof underground citadel for the central government, including quarters for the Royal Family, somewhere in the west."

His informant's vague hint of "the west" was a reference to the Hawthorn Central Government war headquarters, to which the cabinet, central government and defence staffs would retreat early in a crisis, leaving London to its fate as the bombs fell. '

It's apparently a huge complex, very deep, but then there are tunnels to post ww2 tunnels all over the place to protect civil servants etc , there is one down the road from this office, all totally conspiratorial but taken as mythiction, exciting nevertheless.
especially when you consider :
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/,

Last edited: