when was the last time a song choked u up?

mms

sometimes
it was a song and a film, and it was live at the barbican, but a short film by brothers quay called "In absentia" about a woman in an asylum repeatedly writing the word "darling come" combined with music specially recorded by stockhausen set me off, followed by a film about mexican pilgrims by werner herzog , with music by john tavener.
Destroyed me completley.

Last edited:

grimly fiendish

i can't remember the song, but i had a lump-in-throat moment listening to something on headphones on the bus on the way to work the other week ... mind you, *anything* sets me off. seriously: i'm a right girl ;)

redcrescent

I'll admit it happens with frequency, and it's usually stupid things, or very profound things. The lyrics get to me, mostly. Off the top of my head...
"I wish I knew how it feels to be free" by the late, great Nina Simone, just after she passed away... Innocuous Aaliyah tracks, even ones I would skip over, turned into emotional minefields for me after she died...
Anything by Jorge Cafrune and other South American/Spanish political folklorists (lyrics in Spanish to "Yo soy el dueño de todo" here -- a song about how working men build palaces while their children sleep in shacks, how their hands "make miracles with wood", yet they have no place to sit, how they have no right to tire... it devastates me when I hear it. I guess the same subject theme is treated in Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Don't look now (it ain't you or me)", which is a fantastic song, lyrically and sonically.)
Albert Ayler's "Ghosts" off the ESP-Disk Trio, especially, but anytime Albert starts testifyin', really...
"Just another soldier" by the Staple Singers, but probably because it reminds me of a friend dying when we were doing compulsory Austrian army service together...
"Hummingbird", the final track on B.B.King's Indianola Mississippi Seeds...
John Peel's Tribute Program...
"Kapiti Dream" off Recloose's genius Cardiology...
Most recently, and it makes me wonder because it's not spiritual at all: Thomas & Dettinger's mix of "Jackpot", off K.O.O.K. Variationen, the album of Tocotronic remixes.
Dunno, maybe sometimes when you're off guard a phrase or a little melodic hook can absolutely floor you... but it's great to admit these things.

Backjob

Marz's "the river" listened to on headphones because the repeated refrain "If we return we will live here forever" combined with images of jumping in rivers and oceans and the pastoral melancholy of the glockenspiel (?) melody made me think of my ex and all our fantasies of escaping the city and the world of work.

Music usually only chokes me if it makes me think of something in particular - very rare for it to choke purely on its own terms.

recently listening to Nina Simone's "Wild is the Wind" on my backporch with the sun setting on my view of the Appalachians here in Virginia I admit that I got a bit of something in my eye.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Hurt - Johnny Cash - so much so I wrote to him and the fella that made the video - amazing and so very moving. It will take a long time for something to knock that one off the top...

martin

----
Probably the Scuba Mix of King Britt vs Michelle Shaprow "If I Lost You". The fact I heard it when coming out of the clouds above Mongolia helped. You know when you've just heard the most amazing song ever (this month) and you identify with every note? Apart from that, the Dubliners' version of "The Town I Loved So Well" gets me every time