Ethiopian Idol

sufi

lala
Ethi version of Pop Idols formula,
http://nazret.com/blog/index.php?title=ethiopian_version_of_popular_talent_show&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
capt.nai10101061113.ethiopia_ethiopian_idol_nai101.jpg

i'd love to hear it

Last edited:

PeteUM

It's all grist
confucius said:
I'd love to hear it too... maybe they'll find the next Mahmoud Ahmed.

I have a much treasured cassette of one of his albums but I'm presuming he's done tons of stuff. Any recommendations? (wanders off towards Google and Soulseek...)

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I think the comments after that article are pretty interesting as well... I don't have much to say about them, though. :eek:

PeteUM

It's all grist
I was tempted to leave a post pondering whether it was too early to start talking about a Big Beat revival. :rolleyes:

zhao

there are no accidents
PeteUM said:
I have a much treasured cassette of one of his albums but I'm presuming he's done tons of stuff. Any recommendations? (wanders off towards Google and Soulseek...)

I only have the 2 or 3 albums dedicated to him on the Ethiopiques series... Ere Mela Mela being the famous one. but I'm sure he is, was very, very prolific.

there is a new series called Zanzibara from the same label as Ethiopiques... which looks excellent.

big beat? what are you on about there Pete? isn't big beat just coffee shop breaks? (read: fat boy slim)

PeteUM

It's all grist
Sorry. I was being silly with the Big Beat comment. I read the comments thing on the Ethiopian Idol page and it seemed a world away from Dissensus.

Yeah, that cassette I have definitely has that Ere Mela tune. I love the weird basslines in his music.

zhao

there are no accidents
sufi said:
My mate has just come back from Tanzania with some Zanzibari Turab which i requested, & some mainland music as well...

Sufi, where are you located? and what do you do out there?

zhao

there are no accidents
ok enough of this international-man-of-mystery shit, Mr. Sufi.

Breakistan is NOT a real place. I just asked an Arabic friend of mine.

you better tell me where you are or else I will never leave a comment on your blog. ever.

zhao

there are no accidents
sufi your private message box is full or something. too much flirting with the other board members.

here is the reply I tried to send:

for some reason I was under the impression that you were based somewhere in the mid east and was a camel thief / wedding singer.

since 6, wow. I don't know anyone from when I was 6... hardly know anyone from art college... ha

but actually I do keep in touch with one of my best friends from High School, who now lives in Singapore with his Javanese wife, works in a Mosque during the day, and releases mid-eastern tinged drone work under the name Suleyman...

do you practice Sufism? what is your opinion of Muslim Gauze?

I ordered this thing recently:

and several other arabic / n. african pop box sets... none of it has arrived yet though...

thanks for the links. I'm still going through the first one... Mazikana. everything on there seems of about the same quality, I like it all but there's too much, and not too much variation... anyhow I'm mainly looking for things I can put on the 1's and 2's, and there is a lot that I can mix with on there.

Last edited: