"Big Beat"

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
what was this genre all about? hip hop for those who didn't like rap?

listening to the go team (big beats for 06 - yorn!) made me think about this - it was hip hop without verses - at most a sampled hook?

henry s

Street Fighting Man
I think Trip Hop was hip hop for those who didn't like rap...

Big Beat was Trip Hop for those who had ADD...

dominic

Beast of Burden
a return to 91/92 breakbeat for those who didn't like jungle or 2-step

anticipates breakcore -- another "rockabilly" movement in some respects

the other aspect is psychedelic "mash up" culture, such that chemical bros' beatles-over-a-breakbeat sound is seen to be mash-up

dominic

Beast of Burden
big beat also had a lot to do with the rave sound of florida and the american west -- which is probably where the "frat boy" slur comes from

mms

sometimes
confucius said:
as I said in a different thread, big beat is coffee shop friendly breaks.

it was the only form of dance music that indie stations like x fm etc played at the time, its not got much chic or drugginess about it, i remember going to a club once to check it out and finding it very white and beery, very laddish.

hint

party record with a siren
dominic said:
lots of classic material on the compilation hint links above

if that's big beat, count me in

I guess that comp is a pretty good representation of the kind of music that was played by the DJs and inspired the producers at the beginning.

mms

sometimes
dominic said:
lots of classic material on the compilation hint links above

if that's big beat, count me in

alot of those tracks are pre-big beat, a knife and a fork is classic brooklyn, there is some acid house on there, depth charge who was kinda weirdie early hardcore at the time when hip hop and techno stuff was really linked in britain, derrick may... there aren't really actually any tracks on that comp which really represent the big beat records that came out at the time...

hint

party record with a siren
mms said:
a lot of those tracks are pre-big beat

Indeed - sorry. I didn't make it clear that those tracks represent the roots of the scene rather than what it eventually produced.