dogville

robin

anyone seen this?
i saw it last night after one of my friends spend two weeks going on about it...
wasn't sure what to think of it,it seemed so unrelentingly nasty in a way that even taxi driver or whatever wasn't...
appearently its all a big allegory for how america treats immigrants or something...
it was certainly a film that made me think,but i don't really know what to make of it to be honest...

It's been a while since I've seen Dogville so I'm trying to remember my initial impressions.

I did love it. The use of a stage with only lines signifying walls was unique and powerful.

It is not only an allegory for America's treatment of immigrants but specifically commenting on the US response to 9/11: At one point Chloe Sevigny's character says to the main character "you're either with us or against us."

I have not seen Taxi Driver but Dogville is certainly "unrelentingly nasty" - Lars von Trier loves to make his characters, actors, and audience suffer. But I like when a director plays with my expectations in a disturbing way, much like P.T. Anderson in Boogie Nights. Actually, if anyone is interested you can find a joint interview with Lars von Trier and PT Anderson here (hopefully that worked).

I also found Nicole Kidman's character far stronger than von Trier's previous heroines/victims. At least she didn't drive herself to her death. In terms of the ending, I loved when she got revenge but then had to question whether her actions were any better than the town's. I like films that end with a question rather than an answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

robin

agreed that the way it was filmed was great,some of the overhead shots were incredible...
the (initial) shot where nicole kidman is in the apple truck is one of the most beautiful shots i've ever seen,although what happens afterwards is maybe an example of the director's famous (ive never seen anything else by him) desire to punish the audience,and somewhat ruins the beauty that precedes it...

i didnt really understand what was meant by the conversation with her father either,or what the significance of him being a gangster was ,unless it wa merely a plot device...