PDA

View Full Version : Parrots in Hyde Park

Woebot
17-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Saw these on Sunday:

(blinking) the photo doesnt really do them justice but these are green parrots.

One for Luka innit.

worrior
17-01-2006, 11:36 AM
There were occasional parrots (and parakeets) in my garden growing up in deepest West London. Local myth suggests they escaped from Syon House during the 87 storms.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/3869815.stm

Lichen
17-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Richmond park is teeming with parrots. They are agressive and a threat to local birdlife. If a grey squirrel is a rat with a tail, a green parrot is a squirrel with wings.

labrat
17-01-2006, 12:32 PM
aside from their vivid hue parrots are hilarious aren't they-who amongst us hasn't wasted a school dinner hour trying to teach a pet-shop parrot to say "f***" ?
following last years CLASSIC sweary parrot tale (vicar called wanker-check ,policeman told to fuck off - check) todays Guardian has a fine tale of Ziggy the parrot's expose of infidelity...http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1688149,00.html
Let's Dance though! cloth ears.

Gido
17-01-2006, 11:20 PM
i live in amsterdam and we have hundreds of them in our parks, and they're all green.
also green and exotic, there's a number of turtles living in the wild in our city.

and recently i saw on the telly that there's a pelican living quiet happily in a area just outside of the city. i was a strange sight, swimming there in the 'polder' with the ducks etc. :)

simon silverdollar
19-01-2006, 09:03 PM
yeah they arrived in clapham last summer.

there's loads of them on hampstead heath. they make a fucking racket.

luka
21-01-2006, 02:29 PM
i like 'em.
mgpies are aggressive too, no one says we should get rid of them.

Lichen
21-01-2006, 04:44 PM
That depends on whether one considers any non-indigenous species a fundamentally bad thing; is toady's exotic novelty tomorrow's grey squirrel?

Spanielzworld
24-01-2006, 11:27 AM
i think these are the green parakeets that myth has it

a. escaped from the set of "the african queen" at shepperton studios

b. are descended from a pair that jimi hendrix had in in his pad in london.

Woebot
25-01-2006, 06:39 AM
i think these are the green parakeets that myth has it

a. escaped from the set of "the african queen" at shepperton studios

b. are descended from a pair that jimi hendrix had in in his pad in london.

cool, they have pedigree ;)