i-Pod #**$%%

jenks

thread death
i knew i shouldn't have posted last week about my ipod cos saturday night my hard drive wiped 2000 songs.

so now i have a pod with more songs on it than my itunes library - so is there a way of loading my pod stuff back into my library so that both match again? Or ,failing that, a way of making sure that the next time i plug my pod into my pc that it doesn't delete those two thousand tunes from the pod also.

be gentle with me - i haven't got much of a clue about any of this stuff - i am seriously thinking of just sticking with what's on the pod but that seems to defeat teh object of having an MP3 player.

any tips gratefully received :confused:

O

Omaar

Hi Jenks, there's a setting in itunes somewhere that lets you choose whether itunes automatically syncs to your ipod - I'd recommend turning that off before you plug your pod back in, otherwise it may try and sync with your pod and wipe your songs.

I think the ephpod software mentioned above works fine for copying songs from a pc, but when i used it to copy songs to my ipod, in conjunction with itunes, i had some issues - so I wouldn't recommend it for day to day use. Others may have had more luck though.

You should be fine though - you're lucky you had your songs backed up on your pod before you wiped your hard drive! You can use your ipod as an external hard drive too if you want to back up the occasional file from your pc.

sufi

lala
i-Tunes #**$%%

finally succumbing to hype and pressures of data overload, i got a iPod at xmas :) really it's great and i thoroughly appreciate, however...

iTunes is a nightmare, the pod must use iTunes to load mp3s & iTunes conflicts with my PC horribly :mad: of course. They also seem to want to loot my PC for personal info & are constantly trying to sell me stuff i don't want.

it's my first time to have an apple product & i don't know why i really am surprised by their sharp business practise - e.g they don't give you a charger - you have to score one for £30/$30 :eek: ffs, the feedback for their products on their own website is really funny...99% moaning about advanced gouging tactics apple use on their customers. of course the sony mp3 playas are sexy too of course but my experience of sony products is broadly similar - a 25% pricehike, then the privelege of using shit namebrand software suites to interact with your device.

anyone succesfully linuxed a pod, or found an alternative to crap i-Toons? :mad:

dogger

Sweet Virginia
sufi said:
finally succumbing to hype and pressures of data overload, i got a iPod at xmas :) really it's great and i thoroughly appreciate, however...

iTunes is a nightmare, the pod must use iTunes to load mp3s & iTunes conflicts with my PC horribly :mad: of course. They also seem to want to loot my PC for personal info & are constantly trying to sell me stuff i don't want.

it's my first time to have an apple product & i don't know why i really am surprised by their sharp business practise - e.g they don't give you a charger - you have to score one for £30/$30 :eek: ffs, the feedback for their products on their own website is really funny...99% moaning about advanced gouging tactics apple use on their customers. of course the sony mp3 playas are sexy too of course but my experience of sony products is broadly similar - a 25% pricehike, then the privelege of using shit namebrand software suites to interact with your device.

anyone succesfully linuxed a pod, or found an alternative to crap i-Toons? :mad:

no, and i haven't had any problems with itunes at all. a bit memory-intensive, but nice interface, not too obtrusive and reliable.

what's your beef with it?

sufi

lala
what beef?

well it crashes a lot and as you say is memory intensive - why must i use it at all? why can't i just copy & play mp3s directly on & off the ipod HDD without clunky & intrusive proprietary software that duplicates a lot of what windoze does anyway, forces me to install quicktime which i resent & which integrates itself into my web-browser in a disruptive way.... then it keeps tryimg to connect me to apple's shit music shop with offensive pictures of bono :mad: :mad: ... now i can't get videos onto the pod without doing some sync thing which will delete all the mp3s, & i can't copy mp3s off the pod without buying yet another costly add-on... enough beef for now???

orson

sufi said:
well it crashes a lot and as you say is memory intensive - why must i use it at all? why can't i just copy & play mp3s directly on & off the ipod HDD without clunky & intrusive proprietary software that duplicates a lot of what windoze does anyway, forces me to install quicktime which i resent & which integrates itself into my web-browser in a disruptive way.... then it keeps tryimg to connect me to apple's shit music shop with offensive pictures of bono :mad: :mad: ... now i can't get videos onto the pod without doing some sync thing which will delete all the mp3s, & i can't copy mp3s off the pod without buying yet another costly add-on... enough beef for now???

yeah its tsupid that whole itunes i pod ...... get an i river .. it just shows up as an external hd and you can copy and move whatever files you wish 2

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
try the software listed on ilounge.com - there's plenty of alternatives.

I haven't tried any of these - I am quite happy with iTunes;
at least the very latest release (with no intrusion) and firmware (with smart playlists finally working again).

I am by no means an Apple fan - but the iPod mostly just works.

If it's any relief - the Sony programmers still haven't sorted out
the problems with their MP3 software (Sony's software have always been
shite - a fact which kept me off buying their MD-players) -
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2002482,00.html

jenks

thread death
had no problems with itunes until i had a go at updating and had a total mare - nearly losing access to 7000 tunes - had to get a techie friend to sort it.

then on friday it tells me i have to update my ipod software if i want to put some recently bought tracks from the istore on it - again total mare involving it renaming my external hard drive as F rather than E - may not sound like a problem but i store all my tunes on the E drive so had to round renaming everything and generally doing lots of stuff to sort it out.

this is the first major problem i have had with this and hope it's not the shape of things to come

btw went into the regents street store to ask about my battery and was told all appointments with iGeniuses were taken. iGENIUS i ask you - up themselves or what, as my wife would say

itunes crashes on me quite a lot. having to update it to transfer tunes sucks - good job i never buy anything from the iStore - why the fuck would i wanna pay good money for crappy 128kbps files?

but still, i've got in the habit of using iTunes as my media player for most applications - playing, copying, burning etc, so i guess they won...

[songbird is shaping up to be a really good open source media player. not sure how it will interact with iPod, but i'm sure it'll have some support. not released yet tho ;(

You can subscribe to get notification about exactly when the first release will be out.

I am having my fair share of iPod crashes, though it's due to my using an external drive to store the tunes.

on the whole iTunes has been a solid application on os x. The iTunes store is miles ahead of what any other desktop media players are doing.

D

droid

Anyone not yet convinced of the shitness of I-tunes should check out their processor usage when running it with another application.

It takes the piss.

There is a way to get tunes of an I-pod in windows without using any extra software though...

Last edited by a moderator:

johanek

My friends who use windows and don't like itunes use either ephpod or the winamp plugin. Personally, I found ephpod messed with my library when I also connected to itunes on mac.

Don't know why you're having crashing problems with itunes- it's been rock solid for me since I started using it 2 years ago. I think it's fab. You gotta "think mac" to learn to use it effectively though. It's library is better than any other player, and it organises your files nicely on disk too. It was a nightmare cleaning up all the id3 tags of my mp3s at first though, took a few evenings work.

sufi

lala
droid said:
There is a way to get tunes of an I-pod in windows without using any extra software though...
well yeah, view hidden files, but all yr tunes are unnecessarily renamed & shuffled into random folders :mad: and as your forced to use the crap itunes to add music wtf not be able ti use that.grrr.

nick said:
but still, i've got in the habit of using iTunes as my media player for most applications - playing, copying, burning etc, so i guess they won...
yeah i have to concede that it did manage to rip a cd that neither audiograbber, EAC, Nero etc could read from but it can't play dyam tunes off the dyam pod thru shite itunes when it's plugged into the pc, feck, shit, gah %*$$~#%!! :mad:

ml_ipod.jpg

this winamp thingy sounds fine, johanek, i'll try it, thanks

sufi

lala
Ffs...

... in fact, I would even go as far as to say i prefer the kack unupdatable windoze meeja playa bollix that i am forced to use at my workplace, shame shame shame :(
grrrrrr

hint

party record with a siren
sufi said:
well yeah, view hidden files, but all yr tunes are unnecessarily renamed & shuffled into random folders :mad:

It organises your library by artist > album

doesn't seem to be very random to me :confused:

sufi

lala
vexed vexed vexed

hint said:
It organises your library by artist > album
doesn't seem to be very random to me
maybe you misunderstood me, hint, i'm talking about browsing the 'hidden' files on iPod using windoz file manager.
so, there's 1 folder called 'music' with 50 sub-folders named F00-F49, within the subfolders the files are renamed & (dis)organised without rhyme or reason as far as i can make out so that although theoretically you can copy yr mp3s back to the computer, to find a complete album or particular track is a major task - especially as the titles are all removed so you can't even search thru the files by name = doh! + cha!
like so :

Last edited:

hint

party record with a siren
sufi said:
maybe you misunderstood me, hint, i'm talking about browsing the 'hidden' files on iPod using windoz file manager.
so, there's 1 folder called 'music' with 50 sub-folders named F00-F49

Ah - OK... I know what you mean now. That is indeed rrrrrubbish and annoying.

dsp13

GAMEBWOY
minikomi said:
i want a portable player which plays all the old tracker formats.. .xm, .s3m, .mod, .it etc..

I wouldn't be surprised if one of these appears for the psp in the near future and as I'm used to carrying an mp3 discman around in my pocket, I'm getting a PSP as my next mp3 player... wireless internet, network gaming, watching divx movies on a screen 3 x bigger and better than the movie i-pods... not to mention I don't have to look at that stupid F^&king "Chicago" font :)... and do you REALLY need 20 gig of tunes in your pocket at all times?