PDA

View Full Version : i-Pod #**$%%

jenks
26-07-2005, 06:44 PM
i knew i shouldn't have posted last week about my ipod cos saturday night my hard drive wiped 2000 songs.

so now i have a pod with more songs on it than my itunes library - so is there a way of loading my pod stuff back into my library so that both match again? Or ,failing that, a way of making sure that the next time i plug my pod into my pc that it doesn't delete those two thousand tunes from the pod also.

be gentle with me - i haven't got much of a clue about any of this stuff - i am seriously thinking of just sticking with what's on the pod but that seems to defeat teh object of having an MP3 player.

any tips gratefully received :confused:

alex_tea@r107.co.uk
26-07-2005, 06:50 PM
There are programs that allow you to get at the files on your iPod for Mac & PC... For Windows I think Ephpod is the most used, and for OS X I use iPodRip.

Check out http://www.ipodlounge.com for links to software etc.

Omaar
27-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Hi Jenks, there's a setting in itunes somewhere that lets you choose whether itunes automatically syncs to your ipod - I'd recommend turning that off before you plug your pod back in, otherwise it may try and sync with your pod and wipe your songs.

I think the ephpod software mentioned above works fine for copying songs from a pc, but when i used it to copy songs to my ipod, in conjunction with itunes, i had some issues - so I wouldn't recommend it for day to day use. Others may have had more luck though.

You should be fine though - you're lucky you had your songs backed up on your pod before you wiped your hard drive! You can use your ipod as an external hard drive too if you want to back up the occasional file from your pc.

sufi
21-01-2006, 03:35 PM
finally succumbing to hype and pressures of data overload, i got a iPod at xmas :) really it's great and i thoroughly appreciate, however...

iTunes is a nightmare, the pod must use iTunes to load mp3s & iTunes conflicts with my PC horribly :mad: of course. They also seem to want to loot my PC for personal info & are constantly trying to sell me stuff i don't want. (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060119-6011.html)

it's my first time to have an apple product & i don't know why i really am surprised by their sharp business practise - e.g they don't give you a charger - you have to score one for 30/$30 :eek: ffs, the feedback for their products on their own website (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70603/wo/PK7UWAkrsPOk2fXJT0mXoaxMuMG/1.SLID?mco=BA09CEDA&nplm=MA093G%2FA) is really funny...99% moaning about advanced gouging tactics apple use on their customers. of course the sony mp3 playas are sexy too of course but my experience of sony products is broadly similar - a 25% pricehike, then the privelege of using shit namebrand software suites to interact with your device.

anyone succesfully linuxed a pod, or found an alternative to crap i-Toons? :mad:

dogger
21-01-2006, 04:40 PM
finally succumbing to hype and pressures of data overload, i got a iPod at xmas :) really it's great and i thoroughly appreciate, however...

iTunes is a nightmare, the pod must use iTunes to load mp3s & iTunes conflicts with my PC horribly :mad: of course. They also seem to want to loot my PC for personal info & are constantly trying to sell me stuff i don't want. (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060119-6011.html)

it's my first time to have an apple product & i don't know why i really am surprised by their sharp business practise - e.g they don't give you a charger - you have to score one for 30/$30 :eek: ffs, the feedback for their products on their own website (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70603/wo/PK7UWAkrsPOk2fXJT0mXoaxMuMG/1.SLID?mco=BA09CEDA&nplm=MA093G%2FA) is really funny...99% moaning about advanced gouging tactics apple use on their customers. of course the sony mp3 playas are sexy too of course but my experience of sony products is broadly similar - a 25% pricehike, then the privelege of using shit namebrand software suites to interact with your device.

anyone succesfully linuxed a pod, or found an alternative to crap i-Toons? :mad:

no, and i haven't had any problems with itunes at all. a bit memory-intensive, but nice interface, not too obtrusive and reliable.

what's your beef with it?

sufi
21-01-2006, 05:55 PM
well it crashes a lot and as you say is memory intensive - why must i use it at all? why can't i just copy & play mp3s directly on & off the ipod HDD without clunky & intrusive proprietary software that duplicates a lot of what windoze does anyway, forces me to install quicktime which i resent & which integrates itself into my web-browser in a disruptive way.... then it keeps tryimg to connect me to apple's shit music shop with offensive pictures of bono :mad: :mad: ... now i can't get videos onto the pod without doing some sync thing which will delete all the mp3s, & i can't copy mp3s off the pod without buying yet another costly add-on... enough beef for now???

orson
21-01-2006, 10:41 PM
well it crashes a lot and as you say is memory intensive - why must i use it at all? why can't i just copy & play mp3s directly on & off the ipod HDD without clunky & intrusive proprietary software that duplicates a lot of what windoze does anyway, forces me to install quicktime which i resent & which integrates itself into my web-browser in a disruptive way.... then it keeps tryimg to connect me to apple's shit music shop with offensive pictures of bono :mad: :mad: ... now i can't get videos onto the pod without doing some sync thing which will delete all the mp3s, & i can't copy mp3s off the pod without buying yet another costly add-on... enough beef for now???

yeah its tsupid that whole itunes i pod ...... get an i river .. it just shows up as an external hd and you can copy and move whatever files you wish 2

Ness Rowlah
21-01-2006, 10:52 PM
try the software listed on ilounge.com - there's plenty of alternatives.

I haven't tried any of these - I am quite happy with iTunes;
at least the very latest release (with no intrusion) and firmware (with smart playlists finally working again).

I am by no means an Apple fan - but the iPod mostly just works.

If it's any relief - the Sony programmers still haven't sorted out
the problems with their MP3 software (Sony's software have always been
shite - a fact which kept me off buying their MD-players) -
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2002482,00.html

jenks
22-01-2006, 06:03 PM
had no problems with itunes until i had a go at updating and had a total mare - nearly losing access to 7000 tunes - had to get a techie friend to sort it.

then on friday it tells me i have to update my ipod software if i want to put some recently bought tracks from the istore on it - again total mare involving it renaming my external hard drive as F rather than E - may not sound like a problem but i store all my tunes on the E drive so had to round renaming everything and generally doing lots of stuff to sort it out.

this is the first major problem i have had with this and hope it's not the shape of things to come

btw went into the regents street store to ask about my battery and was told all appointments with iGeniuses were taken. iGENIUS i ask you - up themselves or what, as my wife would say

Nick Gutterbreakz
22-01-2006, 07:45 PM
itunes crashes on me quite a lot. having to update it to transfer tunes sucks - good job i never buy anything from the iStore - why the fuck would i wanna pay good money for crappy 128kbps files?

but still, i've got in the habit of using iTunes as my media player for most applications - playing, copying, burning etc, so i guess they won...

joanofarctan
22-01-2006, 10:11 PM
[songbird (http://www.songbirdnest.com/) is shaping up to be a really good open source media player. not sure how it will interact with iPod, but i'm sure it'll have some support. not released yet tho ;(

You can subscribe to get notification about exactly when the first release will be out.

I am having my fair share of iPod crashes, though it's due to my using an external drive to store the tunes.

on the whole iTunes has been a solid application on os x. The iTunes store is miles ahead of what any other desktop media players are doing.

droid
23-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Anyone not yet convinced of the shitness of I-tunes should check out their processor usage when running it with another application.

It takes the piss.

There is a way to get tunes of an I-pod in windows without using any extra software though...

johanek
24-01-2006, 11:00 PM
My friends who use windows and don't like itunes use either ephpod or the winamp plugin. Personally, I found ephpod messed with my library when I also connected to itunes on mac.

Don't know why you're having crashing problems with itunes- it's been rock solid for me since I started using it 2 years ago. I think it's fab. You gotta "think mac" to learn to use it effectively though. It's library is better than any other player, and it organises your files nicely on disk too. It was a nightmare cleaning up all the id3 tags of my mp3s at first though, took a few evenings work.

sufi
25-01-2006, 09:29 PM
There is a way to get tunes of an I-pod in windows without using any extra software though...
well yeah, view hidden files, but all yr tunes are unnecessarily renamed & shuffled into random folders :mad: and as your forced to use the crap itunes to add music wtf not be able ti use that.grrr.

but still, i've got in the habit of using iTunes as my media player for most applications - playing, copying, burning etc, so i guess they won...
yeah i have to concede that it did manage to rip a cd that neither audiograbber, EAC, Nero etc could read from but it can't play dyam tunes off the dyam pod thru shite itunes when it's plugged into the pc, feck, shit, gah %*$$~#%!! :mad:

http://download.nullsoft.com/customize/component/2004/2/5/P/small_image/ml_ipod.jpg
this winamp thingy (http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=138888) sounds fine, johanek, i'll try it, thanks

minikomi
26-01-2006, 12:39 AM
i want a portable player which plays all the old tracker formats.. .xm, .s3m, .mod, .it etc..

sufi
27-01-2006, 04:30 PM
... in fact, I would even go as far as to say i prefer the kack unupdatable windoze meeja playa bollix that i am forced to use at my workplace, shame shame shame :(
grrrrrr

hint
27-01-2006, 06:52 PM
well yeah, view hidden files, but all yr tunes are unnecessarily renamed & shuffled into random folders :mad:

It organises your library by artist > album

doesn't seem to be very random to me :confused:

sufi
27-01-2006, 08:43 PM
It organises your library by artist > album
doesn't seem to be very random to me
maybe you misunderstood me, hint, i'm talking about browsing the 'hidden' files on iPod using windoz file manager.
so, there's 1 folder called 'music' with 50 sub-folders named F00-F49, within the subfolders the files are renamed & (dis)organised without rhyme or reason as far as i can make out so that although theoretically you can copy yr mp3s back to the computer, to find a complete album or particular track is a major task - especially as the titles are all removed so you can't even search thru the files by name = doh! + cha!
like so :

hint
28-01-2006, 10:20 AM
maybe you misunderstood me, hint, i'm talking about browsing the 'hidden' files on iPod using windoz file manager.
so, there's 1 folder called 'music' with 50 sub-folders named F00-F49

Ah - OK... I know what you mean now. That is indeed rrrrrubbish and annoying.

dsp13
20-02-2006, 10:07 AM
i want a portable player which plays all the old tracker formats.. .xm, .s3m, .mod, .it etc..

I wouldn't be surprised if one of these appears for the psp in the near future and as I'm used to carrying an mp3 discman around in my pocket, I'm getting a PSP as my next mp3 player... wireless internet, network gaming, watching divx movies on a screen 3 x bigger and better than the movie i-pods... not to mention I don't have to look at that stupid F^&king "Chicago" font :)... and do you REALLY need 20 gig of tunes in your pocket at all times?

Buick6
11-03-2006, 11:59 AM
I just got a 30gig Zen Vision:M...because I tried I-Tunes/Ipod and didn't like it's locked-down format.

But they all go on about this PodCast revolution, and I still can't find some killer mixes, since to me a DJ mix seems the perfect thing to podcast.

dsp13
11-03-2006, 03:14 PM
does it have to be a podcast? can't you just download a good dj mix from somewhere? Anyone know why so many people's podcasts are so short? surely if anything mp3 players offer the opportunity for mixes longer than 74/80 minutes (although 60 minutes is usually long enough for a good set) Anyway, I highly recommend www.blentwell.com (http://www.blentwell.com) for mixes & dj sets.

bassnation
12-03-2006, 04:58 PM
does it have to be a podcast? can't you just download a good dj mix from somewhere? Anyone know why so many people's podcasts are so short? surely if anything mp3 players offer the opportunity for mixes longer than 74/80 minutes (although 60 minutes is usually long enough for a good set) Anyway, I highly recommend www.blentwell.com (http://www.blentwell.com) for mixes & dj sets.

i thought podcasts are mp3s - its just an annoying rebranding of a long-established audio format for people who think digital music begins and ends with the age of the ipod.

Ness Rowlah
13-03-2006, 02:39 AM
i thought podcasts are mp3s - its just an annoying rebranding of a long-established audio format for people who think digital music begins and ends with the age of the ipod.

That's rather like saying RSS-feeds are nothing more than text rebranded.
An RSS-feed IS text, but it's a hell of a better way to read and follow blogs than to
check 50-60 websites for new content.

I agree that the name is unfortunate
(the pod part has nothing to do with Apple apart from that they produce
the dominant MP3 player and the podcasting term was chosen almost a year before Apple got involved).

The innovation is not in the MP3-format, but the use of enclosures (ie MP3s for sound)
within an RSS-feed (subscription). So as podcast-episodes are updated (as new MP3s),
they are delivered directly to your MP3-player (without you ever having to go to a
website to check for new MP3s). The wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting) is now overlong - but as usual a good place to start.

bassnation
13-03-2006, 10:08 AM
The innovation is not in the MP3-format, but the use of enclosures (ie MP3s for sound) within an RSS-feed (subscription). So as podcast-episodes are updated (as new MP3s), they are delivered directly to your MP3-player (without you ever having to go to a website to check for new MP3s). The wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting) is now overlong - but as usual a good place to start.

ah, ok i stand corrected - thanks for explaining that.

i guess part of the problem is that a lot of sites have regular mp3s without the syndication labelled as podcasts - becoming more of a catch-all term for digital audio.

i might sign up for some and see if its good.

Asger
13-03-2006, 10:30 AM
i might sign up for some and see if its good.

I quite enjoy radioclit's podcasts - check out those

gabriel
14-03-2006, 02:26 PM
i would unreservedly recommend the iAudio mp3 player (successor the now discontinued iRiver). no need for any software at all - like the iriver, it functions just like an external hard drive - you drag and drop eitehr onto or off it. what's more, you can record a line out directly into it as mp3 and it's got a built in mic which is wicked for dictaphone type use.

sufi
14-03-2006, 03:26 PM
i strongly suspect itoons of sabotaging winamp by hijacking relevant drivers
http://brikistan.org/winampvsitunes.jpg
or something.......... :mad:

bassnation
14-03-2006, 03:54 PM
i strongly suspect itoons of sabotaging winamp by hijacking relevant drivers

i agree - if you install i-tunes after winamp, it totally screws winamp up, steals file associations - its very difficult to get it back the right way again because the next time you run i-tunes it does the same thing again without asking.

also the fact its bundled with the abortion that is quicktime is enough to make me avoid it forever. luckily i don't use an ipod otherwise i'd be stuck with it.

having said all that, there are things i like about i-tunes, but its a peeve of mine when companies release agressive invasive software like this.

johanek
15-03-2006, 03:05 PM
having said all that, there are things i like about i-tunes, but its a peeve of mine when companies release agressive invasive software like this.

Thats windows software for you... Most of these media players give options about file associations when you install them. iTunes should also have an option to turn off the checking of file associations when you startup. But as always there's too much fiddling to get something simple like this the way you want

bassnation
15-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Thats windows software for you... Most of these media players give options about file associations when you install them. iTunes should also have an option to turn off the checking of file associations when you startup. But as always there's too much fiddling to get something simple like this the way you want

you can reset, but the bastard thing keeps reclaiming them every time you use it on the sly. its well known for doing this - its a "feature". quicktime is even worse.

i think mac users would be more likely to use the apple formats as a default, so maybe it never comes up as an issue?

johanek
15-03-2006, 09:14 PM
you can reset, but the bastard thing keeps reclaiming them every time you use it on the sly.

in itunes ... edit - preferences - advanced - uncheck "Use iTunes as the default player for audio files"

jenks
15-03-2006, 10:02 PM
maybe i'm being dumb, but what does anybody use quicktime for?

itunes, yes i can understand - it's good, it works but every problem i have with new updates involves quicktime.

surely someone out there can defend it?

gabriel
16-03-2006, 09:07 AM

surely the only thing people use quicktime for is to watch quicktime movies?! that's all i need it for at least...

droid
16-03-2006, 09:10 AM
maybe i'm being dumb, but what does anybody use quicktime for?

itunes, yes i can understand - it's good, it works but every problem i have with new updates involves quicktime.

Its the Macintosh's native video format. Comes in very useful when editing and re-codecing video bits.

Its a shit 'media player' though...

bassnation
16-03-2006, 02:42 PM
in itunes ... edit - preferences - advanced - uncheck "Use iTunes as the default player for audio files"

this didn't work for me. in the end had to uninstall both i-tunes and winamp, and then reinstall winamp only.

sufi
22-03-2006, 09:09 PM
hahaha in your FACE (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=internetNews&storyid=2006-03-22T015826Z_01_N21354430_RTRUKOC_0_US-APPLE-FRANCE.xml&rpc=22,) !!! :D :D :D

michael
23-03-2006, 01:06 AM
i would unreservedly recommend the iAudio mp3 player (successor the now discontinued iRiver). no need for any software at all - like the iriver, it functions just like an external hard drive - you drag and drop eitehr onto or off it. what's more, you can record a line out directly into it as mp3 and it's got a built in mic which is wicked for dictaphone type use.
Do you mean iriver is over or just their big memory players? My wife bought a really nice little 1gb thing last week. I was helping with the selections and we were looking at a 2gb iAudio that was even tinier, but it was twice the price...

I've had the chunky H-340 for a few years and it does look like that's being discontinued. Which is a pity. Despite its bulk, the fact that iPods are only just catching up to what I can do on a 3 year old machine is kinda lame. The Mac nerrrds at my work are like "yeah, got rid of my older iPod and bought a new one cos I wanted to be able to play movies".. I only had to download a free update from iriver's site!?

michael
23-03-2006, 01:07 AM
I guess one of the big things with Apple is that it's set up to work really, really easily out of the box. But as an IT nerd I want flexibility and opportunities to do things the way I would like over that stuff... I can deal with having to hack a bit and try things out.

But I guess for iPod users this is where those alternative OSes (goddamn plurals of acronyms!) come in. All hail Rockbox for the iriver! I can now record uncompressed WAV files... nice cheap hard disk recorder. :D

gabriel
23-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Do you mean iriver is over or just their big memory players?

i dunno really, i guess maybe it's just some models that they've discontinued... when i was buying my iaudio the dealer bloke gave me the impression that iriver had become iaudio, but then again i guess he was just blagging me innit :D

Brian Spence
05-04-2006, 09:41 AM
here my problem ! my 2 kids have ipods set up on pc Windows xp been working fine for while so smiles all round.. Bought ipod for wifes birthday, loaded software problem is that itunes is no longer showing the ipod in the soarce list on anybodys account :( have downloaded latest itunes updates but no luck have reset ipods and tried other usb ports. Can see ipod on my computer but itunes just not recognising

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thought about using the XP delete to get rid of itunes I know can save library but how do you import back to itunes

brianspence@talktalk.net

Thanks

sufi
05-04-2006, 10:01 AM
yeah in windoze you can enable checking 'hidden' folders, then add columns to filter the tunes by artist name, album, genre whatever...
iToons unhelpfully changes the name of yer mp3 files, but you can change them back using some free software that will copy the tags onto the filenames...
does that help at all, jenks?

Brian welcome to dissensus, i got my iPod & my girl's working off one installation of iTines, so it should be possible, otherwise try another PC or doing a complete reinstall... blame that shabby software see also: :mad: i-Tunes #**$%% (http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=3049) thread

definitely syncing iPod & iTunesis to be avoided ... my bro managed to somehow get videos to play on his video pod... i had no joy wid that so far.... anyone have any idea about that???

jenks
05-04-2006, 10:34 AM
cheers for that sufi - i'll have to check out the software

my battery is pretty much blown now - 25 minutes and it's out. Does anyone know if the music gets wiped when they put a new battery in? This is a particular concern as the pod is now the only place i have certain things - my external hard drive, where i store all my music, has taken to making whirring and clicking noises and freezing!!!

Jezmi
05-04-2006, 11:03 AM
I seem to be experiencing the 1 year lifespan of the battery, as its lasting shorter and shorter. Anybody had this, and what can be done about it (with what costs)?
Thanks

johanek
06-04-2006, 04:32 PM
I seem to be experiencing the 1 year lifespan of the battery, as its lasting shorter and shorter. Anybody had this, and what can be done about it (with what costs)?
Thanks

Replacement ipod batteries for 20 http://www.ipoddoctor.co.uk/ ... kinda fiddly to take apart but worth it... mine is two years old and the battery only lasts an hour now.

Oh and I've not done it but... the battery is just the battery, you're not going to lose anything from the hard drive!

sufi
06-04-2006, 10:47 PM
i was asking on tha other thread about itoons alternatives which apparently there are a few, tho i couldn't find any free ones & that iwinamp plugin was not ok for me for some reason...

so, when will someon hack the OS of tha Pod?? in these days of increasing win/mac intercompatibility it would be a lush piece of hardware with linux or summat,
please somebody tell me it's possible

(haha i remember i used to post up this question on forums back when i had a sony peesashit minidisc with it's lousy proprietary software)

matt b
07-04-2006, 09:07 AM
so, when will someon hack the OS of tha Pod??

i have a feeling Rockbox are nearly there
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/IpodPort

Omaar
07-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Last I heard linux was possible with up to 3rd generation ipods:

http://ipodlinux.org/Main_Page

jenks
31-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Oh and I've not done it but... the battery is just the battery, you're not going to lose anything from the hard drive!

Sorry to resurrect this thread.

decided to pay Apple to replace the battery. Very good service involving UPS coming to the door with dedicated packaging.

A week later another UPs man came back with a box - excellent!

Inside, not my old ipod with new battery and 7000 tunes but a brand new ipod with ... no tunes. I should, of course, be pleased but i'm not cos now i've lost all manner of tunes that were only on the pod

There's a moral in there somewhere - back up on disk

now i've got to find someone who will find a way of getting all my tunes off an frozen external hard drive. :mad:

Lichen
31-07-2006, 06:32 PM
I recently 'lost' thousands of tunes and all family pics. from hard drive on laptop.

Paid unspeakable amount of cash to have data retrieved by men with magnets in Reading.

Re: ipod: I'm onto my 3rd. It is a hand-me-down first generation for 4gigger. Yet to break it.

HMGovt
31-07-2006, 06:41 PM
I recently 'lost' thousands of tunes and all family pics. from hard drive on laptop.

Paid unspeakable amount of cash to have data retrieved by men with magnets in Reading.

Re: ipod: I'm onto my 3rd. It is a hand-me-down first generation for 4gigger. Yet to break it.

Roughly how much for the data retireval? Same predicament myself.

jenks
31-07-2006, 06:51 PM
Roughly how much for the data retireval? Same predicament myself.

I've had two quotes of about 500 which is more than i can afford. I'm going to see 'a man who knows about these things' this week who claims he can do it for much less. We'll see.

soundslike1981
01-08-2006, 04:07 AM
Goodness does this thread ever confirm every reason I've always disliked the iPod/iTunes. Pushy, buggy, mistrustful, invasive, cryptic, simplistic. . .

I got a 100GB player that cost me $300 two years ago, shows up as a hard drive, has a digital line-in record, no DRM/copy protection, lasts 22hrs per recharge, has an FM radio, and has a better amp than any iPod-type player.

Buick6
01-08-2006, 04:37 AM
Goodness does this thread ever confirm every reason I've always disliked the iPod/iTunes. Pushy, buggy, mistrustful, invasive, cryptic, simplistic. . .

I got a 100GB player that cost me $300 two years ago, shows up as a hard drive, has a digital line-in record, no DRM/copy protection, lasts 22hrs per recharge, has an FM radio, and has a better amp than any iPod-type player.

What is it? Model, make etc..?

soundslike1981
01-08-2006, 05:22 AM
What is it? Model, make etc..?

X-Clef 500 something or other. Real ugly thing, which I personally like as it's meant to function not be a bit of jewelry. Bought it through www.digmind.com, but it seems to be down. I'm not sure they're still making them, but if you want something that over which you have total control (ie you organise the tracks in a tree like any normal hard-drive) that doesn't rely on tags and intermediating software--it might be worth searching it down. Run a search for "100GB mp3 player" and you'll probably find it. I've had two of them for over two years and been well more than satisfied.

You used to be able to buy just the player, and put any 2.8" HDD in it, so for my girlfriend I put together a 40GB. The shell ran $150 I think, so it could be quite inexpensive to get to say 80GB.

Lichen
01-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Roughly how much for the data retireval? Same predicament myself

Around 800.00

Very painful, but not as painful as losing all record of our daughter growing up.

alo
01-08-2006, 06:21 PM
X-Clef 500 something or other. Real ugly thing, which I personally like as it's meant to function not be a bit of jewelry.

I've got one of these, 40gb-- unfortunately, i dropped it with the import cable in and now i can't really use it to transfer data!!!! no one seems to be able to fix it either....really frustrating..

Still, great for recording while on the move, and its also quite industrial looking so you don't look (too) much of a twat. Got some great sounds aswell: the insides of industrial bins, a sea shanty festival, fans, gas cylinders, the inside of caves...

alo
01-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Forgot to mention, I'm thinking of buying an iaudio if i can't sort it. Anyone know anything about that? I know you record on it.

soundslike1981
04-08-2006, 09:12 PM
I've got one of these, 40gb-- unfortunately, i dropped it with the import cable in and now i can't really use it to transfer data!!!! no one seems to be able to fix it either....really frustrating..

Still, great for recording while on the move, and its also quite industrial looking so you don't look (too) much of a twat. Got some great sounds aswell: the insides of industrial bins, a sea shanty festival, fans, gas cylinders, the inside of caves...

I've always been a bit paranoid about that--seems like if you screw up the USB port, it's junk (unless you can fish out the drive into some other player that takes 2.5" HDDs, and maybe even then you're screwed.) I like mine so much I almost bought a "spare" empty player, just in case. There doesn't seem to be any replacement on the scene for a protection-free, quality line-in record, massive quantity, good battery life, non-fashion-accessory player. And I don't understand what use an mp3 player would be without all those things. I literally wouldn't take an iPod for free (unless I could sell it on eBay directly).

Rambler
02-12-2006, 03:23 PM
Just about to join the mp3 player herd ... I think I'm going with an iAudio, for these reasons:

I don't want an iPod
But I do own a Mac (which rules out a surprising number of options, :mad: )
35 hour battery life
read lots of good things about it, including build quality which is not something iPods are renowned for
good sound quality
supports ogg and flac
FM radio
radio and line-in recorder
DRM free

Apparently the interface is a bit clunky (but they're working on a software update for this), video transfer is not the best, and you need an extra little adapter to plug it into things, but I can live with all of this.

dHarry
04-12-2006, 11:03 AM
so it seems that iriver & iaudio are neck in neck as the best mp3 players out there - anyone have a preference? I'd like:

no proprietary software restrictions
usb flash drive style drag & drop on my PC
line-in recording & playing of all formats including uncompressed wav
audiophile sound quality

too much to ask for?!

matt b
04-12-2006, 12:05 PM
i've got one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/iRiver-H340-MP3-Player-Multi-Codec-Jukebox-40-GB-HDD_W0QQitemZ260060483403QQihZ016QQcategoryZ73839Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260060483403

terribly ugly, a bit big and has clunky controls, but it does all that you require (except .wav recording, although rockbox may have changed that).
sound quality is terrific.

my girlfriend has one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-ZEN-Vision-Video-Player/dp/B000EU8D3C/sr=1-2/qid=1165237384/ref=sr_1_2/202-9980161-1871000?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

which are ace, especially if you want to watch films etc- excellent picture quality and a big screen. controls are very sensitive though

michael
04-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Yeah, like matt b I have a chunky old iriver H340, which I think I already wrote about somewhere upthread... I chose iriver because iaudio didn't exist at the time, and because it had a colour screen, audio in etc. and free upgrades.

I run this alternative operating system on it called Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/). This is available for recent iaudio and iriver players (as well as iPods and so on), so if you're happy to give this a shot don't fret about the features of the software, just the hardware, when choosing a player.

With Rockbox you can play and record uncompressed WAV, can play MP3, OGG, and FLAC among others. You can make on the fly playlists that you can save / edit / merge / reorder / etc. really easily; the thing works as a flash USB drive if you want to drag crap around; you can view pics; you can read text files; and you also get dinky little games (I'm addicted to sudoku at the mo).

You can also skin it if you're into that kind of mallarky. You could even make it look like iPod's OS, just with way more options... :rolleyes:

Man, you can even change playback speed if you're feeling oh so zany... I've been listening to all kinds of things at different speeds recently, pretty good times... make your own impromptu screwed versions of tracks. :D

Anyway, I think Rockbox is pretty ace. It's also a dual boot thing, so if you ever want to switch to the original player's OS you can do so just by holding down a button when you turn it on.

dHarry
04-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Man, you can even change playback speed if you're feeling oh so zany... I've been listening to all kinds of things at different speeds recently, pretty good times... make your own impromptu screwed versions of tracks. :D

- sounds like you could almost DJ with two of them! Or just one, if Rockbox added a simultaneous dual cue/playback feature... I thought of this as a joke, but surely this is imminent if it hasn't happened already?

thanks for the info MattB & Micheal!

dHarry
05-12-2006, 09:40 AM
iAudio is getting a lot of good press, mainly for its sound quality as well as file support, usb drag'n'drop, line in recording etc., but here's an "audiophile" review suggesting its line out quality is actually worse than the ipod:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009Q4UBK/ref=pd_cp_e_title/002-8639046-9659202#RDAI6L3GJ0BIO
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009Q4UBK/ref=pd_cp_e_title/002-8639046-9659202#RDAI6L3GJ0BIO)

For using as a sound source plugged into an amp (vs. headphones/earbuds on the go), does anyone have any other opinions on this? Is the iriver better for pure sound quality?

matt b
05-12-2006, 10:17 AM
For using as a sound source plugged into an amp (vs. headphones/earbuds on the go), does anyone have any other opinions on this? Is the iriver better for pure sound quality?

i use mine in the living room, plugged into a ecler mixer and through harmen kardon speakers and in the kitchen through a cambridge amp/ wharfedale speakers.

can't tell the difference between (good quality) mp3 and vinyl in the living room, sounds fine in the kitchen

Omaar
05-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Rockbox will run on ipods too, but last I checked it didn't support audio recording (either compressed or umcompressed ), though I think this feature is being developed. Ipod linux (which works on a dual boot system too) supports uncompressed audio recording , kind of ... Just in case anyone wants to rig up their ipod for audio recording without having to buy extra hardware.

Leo
04-05-2007, 12:22 PM
i have about 1,000 tracks from hundreds of artists on my iPod, yet when i use the shuffle songs option it seems to repeat the same dozen or so artists (not repeating the actual song, but the artist, that is). i've toyed around with the shuffle setting but don't really know how to best achieve shuffle that rotates thru all artists (ie, play one artist and then not repeat a song from them until the entire catalog of artists has been play once).

anyone familiar with how to make such a setting? if this has been addressed elsewhere, just let me know where.

thx.

Edward
04-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Put this in Google and have a read:

ipod shuffle random illusion

not 100% what you were sking but interesting....

zhao
29-05-2007, 12:55 AM
left my pod on the fucking airplane... i try to think of it as a $450 (including nice headphones) gift to someone who really needs it... not to mention filled with amazing stuff but they'll probably just delete it. guess i'll have to buy a new one :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Mr. Tea
29-05-2007, 02:32 PM
left my pod on the fucking airplane... i try to think of it as a $450 (including nice headphones) gift to someone who really needs it... not to mention filled with amazing stuff but they'll probably just delete it. guess i'll have to buy a new one :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yikes, that sucks! Sorry to hear that.

bruno
29-05-2007, 03:07 PM
wow, i would never spend that amount on a portable music player. i would on a pair of headphones, though :confused:

Mr. Tea
29-05-2007, 03:49 PM
wow, i would never spend that amount on a portable music player. i would on a pair of headphones, though :confused:

But would you take them with you on holiday, or would you leave them in your house under lock and key, and preferably armed guard?

bruno
29-05-2007, 05:38 PM
i wouldn't use huge expensive headphones on the metro or walking through a shantytown but not because of the cost, it's just rude to everyone else (and it's not right to flaunt wealth).

Mr. Tea
29-05-2007, 05:57 PM
i wouldn't use huge expensive headphones on the metro or walking through a shantytown but not because of the cost, it's just rude to everyone else (and it's not right to flaunt wealth).

The wealth-flaunting aside, I'd say it's far less rude to wear decent headphones than crappy ones (like the shitty little white buds you get with an iPod) as they actually project most of the sound into your ear, rather than into the ambient space where it annoys everyone in earshot.

bruno
29-05-2007, 06:29 PM
you have a point. they're also very ugly, i always feel like yanking them off.

nomos
21-08-2007, 04:26 PM
#**$%%! :mad: mine just crapped out right before a long plane trip.