Palais Schaumberg

Jim Daze

Can anyone enlighten me more about these. I just read something quickly and it sounds incredible, Maurtzio involved etc wow !
Where can i get hold of this?

craner

Beast of Burden
I actually went into Rough Trade (honestly!) to buy their CD because SR promised on his blog that they were like the German Associates, which sounded too good to be true. It wasn't really true, though.

Skittish but opaque. Nothing addictive enough.

Really smart cover art, however.

I sold the CD, I didn't really have enough time for it, and I needed money for important things (cigarettes, I think), but I may have been too hasty.

I reckon they'd be good to dance to.

Last edited:
J

jimbackhouse

their single 'telephon' is a mini masterpiece! has some of that kind of plastic bertrand-ish euro-goofiness, but way more edgy and with stabs of abrasive synthesizer. pogo-tastic!

Woebot

sapstra said:
Palais Schaumburg are from Hamburg. You can buy their first two records here: www.tapeterecords.de Their first (and by far their best) is the untitled Palais Schaumburg from 1981, with their genius singer Holger Hiller, their second is Lupa from 1982, produced by Coati Mundi but without Holger. Thomas Fehlmann is on both, Maurizio on neither (he only joined later on). They also made some singles in 1980 and 1981, on which F.M. Einheit (Mufti) from the Einsturzende Neubauten is the drummer. I liked the music very much then and still like it now, i'd say the best from the continent of the period (the first album that is)
(remembers) i used to have luna. it was so-so. bas also sent me an eps worth of stuff "Das Single Kabinett" which is as excellent as the first lp.

mms

sometimes
Jim Daze said:
Can anyone enlighten me more about these. I just read something quickly and it sounds incredible, Maurtzio involved etc wow !
Where can i get hold of this?

maurizo is on loads of early 80's german things as a drummer etc, holger hiller and that, he's old timey

Andy K

"______"
He's on some later Associates -- he and Fehlmann also produced some Billy Mackenzie solo-in-name, too.

MiltonParker

the first record is classic for me (later records smoothed the edges off a bit). very bent, dissonant, squalky angular pop. DAF is a comparison point, but PS are far more in tune with the early Residents. Matthew's line about DNA rings true for me too.

They're bruising, but incredibly catchy.

Holger Hiller's solo records replaced the live band with very noisy, early sampling work. 'A Bunch of Foulness In The Pit' is still fairly close to Palais Schaumberg, sampling keyboards loaded with noise, and tracked live, wild, loose, still about live performance. It was reissued as the bonus tracks to 'Oben Im Eck': http://www.discogs.com/release/203070 and it's essential if you like the first PS album...

MattRobotn1k

I've been into Neue Deutsche Welle for awhile, though I can't understand any German, so tracking stuff down can be a little... interesting.

I've loved the Palais Schaumberg / Holger Hiller / DAF / Der Plan stuff I've heard so far, I guess to throw some more band names in here, I'd recommend Grauzone (dubby synth driven post punk), Pyrolator (experimental electronics), Fahlbarben (Talking Heads in German), Neonbabies (can be very hit and miss, but very Raincoats / Slits with Sax when they get it right).

Last edited:

cortempond

Holger Hiller did some stuff with Wire membs

I'm pretty sure Holger Hiller did some stuff with Colin Newman and Bruce Gilbert from Wire. He was Mute at the same time Wire was. I had some of his solo stuff and it was alright, synths and drum loops and stuff of the like - nothing quite captivating, as I sold the CD's soon after. I do like the Palais records, as I worked backward from the Hiller pieces to them. I remember they were included in the German Post-Punk renaissance of the Mid-80's, Malaria, Liliput/Kleenex (from Switzerland, though they were lumped in). DAF, Die Haut and Einster Neu, maybe Propaganda.

I don't know if Conny Plank produced Palais, but his stuff with DAF was incredible. Gold Und Liebe, especially. Their latest stuff and the Robert Gorl album is not so good.

Fehlmann also worked with the Orb, if somebody hasn't noted it yet. I liked his work with Billy MacKenzie on Outernational. Boy do I miss him.

Woebot

MattRobotn1k said:
I've been into Neue Deutsche Welle for awhile, though I can't understand any German, so tracking stuff down can be a little...

This from an article in an old zine called Strange Things on Krautrock, which promised a second article on the eighties German scene:

"And did it all end when das spiken-toppen punken came along? Well not at all. I'll need a separate issue to rave about the the young new German rock acts who took over, some of whom carry their torches. The glory that belongs to DAT, Abwarts, Trio (yes, Trio), Palas Schaumberg, Der Plan, The Vampyrettes, Neubauten, Heavy Kremls, The White House Devils and Emma Mylendberger remains to be told another day."

No idea who the last three are at all, but obv intrigued.