The Residents

francesco

Minerva Estassi
I have "Meet the Residents" and "Third Reich'n'Roll" by The Residents, both I like but far from being my favorite records ever. Listened one time years ago to "Eskimo" but it didn't, in that occasion, catch my attention. Now I have seen two double CD reissued by Mute, "Mark of the Mole/Intermission" and "Tales of two cities/Big Bubble" and i was at the point to buy those just out of curiosity (and i liked the covers, main reason). Then i stopped and said to me: "ask first at dissensus, so if those album are crap you don't waste too much more money". So any comment, recommendation, description of those two double, are those worth, and also any talk about The Residents in general? Too me they seem an overrated group, but...

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Thank you hamarplazt, i loved your description of the albums, and definitely i'm going to buy those reissues, let you know what i think about on the old thread.

to the moderator: this thread can be cancelled as there is just a The Resident thread. Next time i will use the search before submitting threads, really!! :rolleyes:

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
I wasn't particularly impressed with the Mole LPs at the time (ca. 1982?), though I've not heard them since

love the earlier ones though: Meet the Residents, The Third Reich 'N Roll, Fingerprince, Not Available, and especially Eskimo

but if you're not so keen on those, maybe you will like the Mole ones, who knows? :D

chava

Their latest "Animal Lover" is simply fantastic and hilarious cutup electronica of the highest order, and definately one of the best records of last year. Criminally overlooked in all the usual end of year charts, no idea why.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
Don't forget The Commercial Album!

hmm, nice idea, but I didn't much like that either.

then again, it's been 20+ years since I listened to it (and the Mole records). maybe I should give them another go :)

petergunn

plywood violin
francesco said:
I have "Meet the Residents" and "Third Reich'n'Roll" by The Residents, both I like but far from being my favorite records ever. Listened one time years ago to "Eskimo"

funnily enuff, these are the only 3 residents records i own...

i have listened to Meet The Residents a ton, to me it's one of the most amazing records ever... i got it for like 5 bucks (shrimp cover) when i was 15 or 16 and it blew my mind... i liked most of their stuff un til they start getting slick sounding in the mid 80's, but that's just me...