Big up glitch crew

woops

is not like other people
Nobody else feels that OVAL were a big break with contemporary post-rock of the time.
I personally rate "DOK" as a mega dope album.
Sounds like listening to a bunch of suits accepting modern experi-glitchnoise as the real soundtrack of expenses paid airport lounges.
All that background chatter was a MAJOR remedy to dirgeful guitar 'n' vibes eXpReSsIvEnEsS
er... does anyone else feel that the "glitch!!!"iness of todayzzz digital sounds is a new age remix of a well topical de-remix of a badly packaged beat onslaught?

HOLD TIGHT THE OVAL 1ST ALBUM TRACK TITLE CREW -
"Politics of digital audio"
"Mediation"
"Compact disc"
"Post-post"
"Gabba nation"

Post script - original thread name - "OVAL - how to quit lurking [sorry no grime]"

Last edited:

borderpolice

woops said:
HOLD TIGHT THE OVAL 1ST ALBUM TRACK TITLE CREW -
"Politics of digital audio"
"Mediation"
"Compact disc"
"Post-post"
"Gabba nation"

Hi fellow oval lover! "94 Diskont" is probably my all time favourite album. anyway, oval's first album is called "Wohnton" and according to www.discogs.com from 1993, although i have the feeling that it might be older.

woops

is not like other people
i've never heard that cd, all though i've heard about the home-tone.
it has vocals on it, which is hard to imagine.... although the follow-up, systemsich does have regular beats.

Markus Popp's music was conceptually and aesthetically miles ahead of the pack in the mid-nineties.

It's not an understatement to say that his sensibility and attitude to technology and art have touched most aspects of my life.

His music has aged well and is still for me the most important ouevre of software art ever created. I will be listening to Popp well into the next decade.

I could ditch everything in electronic music to date aside from Eno & Popp and i'd be a happy man.

Sure, i'd miss the techno parties.

But i'd get over it.

That's just me though. ;)

ambrose

yeh oval slew all the others. after "systemisch" i think i stopped listening to electronica. there didnt seem much point.

vache

woops said:
Nobody else feels that OVAL were a big break with contemporary post-rock of the time.

I don't think if Oval ever positioned themselves as a break from post-rock only partially because post-rock wasn't coined as a concept until after the release of "Wohnton," "Systemisch," and "94diskont." The impression I got from interviews is that Oval were more interested in making music contra to what they perceived as the rigidity of a kind of cartoon strawman version of techno and the software that produced it.

That said, yeah, the three releases I mentioned above were really excellent and ground-breaking. However, keep in mind that during this period, Oval was more than Markus Popp but also included Sebastian Oschatz and Frank Metzger. Personally, I do like the post-group releases--"dok" and onwards--but the first three were certainly the strongest. It is true that the music does hold up well, but I wonder how well the theory that Popp used to excellent marketing effect is/was relevant.

woops

is not like other people
alrigjt vache, i was on your oval fan page way back.

Microstoria are WELL worth a look. I rate their album "_snd" above any oval stuff actually,
all the oval discontinuitousity - but some indefinite melodic mouse mars melodies too. and some bass.

'sjust for me - i'd heard all the post-sTudiO peRform on Tape and advanced cOmposItionS sExtets, the mentioned dok was literally a brand new one. well radical.

carmen

 
JME. top glitch artist!!

neckle16.jpg

borderpolice

speaking of oval, there was/is an outfit called SND, that tried to combine
Oval sounds with a bit of UK garage. they were published on Force Inc
and Mille Plateaux. Played at Plastic People a few years back.

i think they are great, but somehow they seem to have been ignored almost
totally.

dHarry

borderpolice said:
speaking of oval, there was/is an outfit called SND, that tried to combine
Oval sounds with a bit of UK garage. they were published on Force Inc
and Mille Plateaux. Played at Plastic People a few years back.

i think they are great, but somehow they seem to have been ignored almost
totally.

Funnily enough, being ignored completely was almost what snd's music demanded! I'd like to think they'd approve.

A bit like Basic Channel remixed (=refined out of existence) by Alva Noto, with just a hint of Timbaland beats limping through the thinned-out glitch 'n' drone-scape. Very nice in a kind of aural wallpaper-ish way (slightly corroded metal wallpaper, with a faint geometric design).

vache

DigitalDjigit said:
Didn't SND tour with Autechre last year or was it a different SND?
Same SND. Mark Fell and Mat Steel. Also recorded under the name Blir.

Were they completely ignored? It seems to me that Makesndcassette and Systemsmedley made a big impression in certain circles when they came out. They took minimalism to the point of stasis.

Mark Fell's solo release on 12k is pretty nice.

Woebot

i must have said this a thousand times (so excuse me for being a bore!) :)

however if you rate oval you should definitely check out the monoton: monotonprodukt07 CD from (gasps) 1982......

borderpolice

WOEBOT said:
however if you rate oval you should definitely check out the monoton: monotonprodukt07 CD from (gasps) 1982......

i know, i know, been trying to download that work for a while now.
so far to no avail. maybe one day i'll be lucky.

woops

is not like other people
WOEBOT said:

I guess that's what you get for calling things radical on this forum.
MERKED.

vache

WOEBOT said:
i must have said this a thousand times (so excuse me for being a bore!) :)

I've been trying to track this one down for ages....

mms

sometimes
snd/ blir who toured with autechre last year are stunning - their last album on Alva Noto was great - everything on that label is consistently good imo .
love that stuff.