Felix Kubin?

Woebot

What's the score with this bloke? Who is he etc? Part of me thinks he's some 80s dude, part thinks he's prolly more recent. Seems very highly rated........!

john eden

male pale and stale
More recent I think. I reviewed a compilation Diskono put out with him on here.

Seem to remember there was a photo of him in The Wire looking very pretty and angular.

nochexxx

harco pronting
the guys a sleeping giant and should not be ignored!
nothing i write will bring justice to his style, everything should be heard and he is one of the best live performers i've come across. talent aside he's also a top class eccentric, the type of guy who will have a spare safety pin at hand if your buttons snap off, word.......

PeteUM

It's all grist
Jesus!

Hi Dave.

Bit difficult to know where to start with Herr Kubin but he did start making music as a young teenager in the 80s and is a very busy, manically focused artist and has done lots of great stuff. Uh...kind of twitchy, hyperactive new wave electronic art disco or something? And yes, he does carry safety pins for emergencies with trousers...

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Kubin actually managed to take part in Neue Deutsche Welle while still in his early teens. Some of this music, somewhat Der Plan-inspired, and obviously much more raw and punky than later efforts, but still clearly recognizeable as Kubin, is compiled on the Tetchty Teenage Tapes-album, just the kind of historical document that should appeal to NDW-enthusiasts like Woebot.

His mature style is developing this specific german tradtion further, based on Plan/Pyrolator/Hiller, even some Moebius/Plank, bot most of all Asmus Tietchens Sky-records. Elements of The Residents and Sakamoto/YMO too, but all of it resulting in a style very much his own, like twisted electronic cocktail or circus-music, simultaniously silly and strangely sad.

Unfortunately I've never seen him live, but I've heard from several reliable sources that he's a marvel on a scene. He also sometimes do more tradtitonal sound collages, and he own (I think) the label Gagarin, releasing a lot of other good stuff (including Patric Catanis brilliant Candie Hank-projekt). To get Kubin, Gagarin and related records, try: http://www.stora.de

Asger

Matki wandalki
Don't know that much about, although I did see him live once and read a bit about him after that.

He's (or was) app. part of a marxist music thing, his live perfomances are extremely nice, one track to check out is "hit me provider": "Hit me Provider, I lost my mouse, oh no, I've got a Loch im Gewebe.de" which is a "Internet sadist song about te wholes in tissues of flesh" hehehe. Unfortunately I missed the first part of his show but came in the door just as he started playing Hit Me, all live on old gear, synthesizers and stuff - very Kraftwerkish - read www.felixkubin.com for more stuff on him