R. Stevie Moore

henry s

Street Fighting Man
here we go with another "where does one start?" thread:

Ariel Pink often name-checks this guy (or maybe critics do so on his behalf), who seems to be as prolific (and obscure) as Jandek. (Indeed, he's apparently only released stuff on his own label, going back to the late 60's).

Dissensians: who is this guy, and what would be my best introduction to his daunting catalog?

PeteUM

It's all grist
I've only heard a few bits and pieces but most people who habituate the music threads will find something to smile about in his tune "Records".

D7_bohs

had a record of his once, about which I remember nearly nothing except a note on the back announcing that 'this record was mixed digitally (i.e. using fingers)' reader, I chortled

john

Rsm

I can't seem to shake the thought that RSM is a privileged way of getting at it all, i.e., (to use Badiouian terms) he is the subject of Rock N' Roll par excellence. He is for Rock what the cantor from Leipzig was for the Baroque. Proof positive since about 1964.

Unfortunately, (though part and parcel with this position), he has been painfully overlooked ... And like so many other great 'subjects' of music his fidelity has been at the cost of nearly every comfort one can imagine.

Thankfully for us, as part of this fidelity, RSM has laboriously constructed http://www.rsteviemoore.com/.

In terms of Ariel Pink / RSM, the relationship is a very fascinating one. My contention is that we wouldn't have the Ariel Pink we know and love today without RSM. Case in point, Ariel's first two records (and everything before, e.g., Gorilla, The Appleasians, etc.) Underground and The Doldrums (also, Vital Pink, which really should have included Spiers In The Snow, The Bottom, and all the other magnificent songs he recorded between Underground and The Doldrums) are really Pre-RSM, whereas after THE MEETING (precisely, their collaboration: Stevie/Pink ((a wonderful song)); but then Scared Famous, FF>>, culminating in Worn Copy) the influence is unavoidable and incalculable, i.e., RSM is quite frankly Ariel Pink's biggest influence. Moreover, Ariel is probably the most acquainted person with RSM's prolific catalog aside from RSM himself and maybe his lovely wife, Kris.

As Henry S. points out, this influence-ing has paid off for both influence-er and influence-ee, as Ariel has never ceased using those less-interesting and unimportant aspects of record production and release (i.e., the interviews) to tout his patron Saint. But enough! Many great MP3's and records await you at RSM's website. (Including Hobbie's Galore, which Ariel has somewhere covered).

Last edited:

henry s

Street Fighting Man
thanks for the links...

talk about kindred spirits: that same gift for melody, that same transistor radio sound, that same tendency to break into ridiculous falsetto...the more I listen to both of these guys, the more I'm reminded of Todd Rundgren, A Wizard/A True Star specifically...like TR, AP and RSM manage to be ecstatic, playful, intimate and infuriating, all at the same time...(just like that long-lost first love, to get back onto hauntology turf)...

henry s

Street Fighting Man
well, that's egg on my face...didn't realize RSM had been threaded already...I'll do my homework next time...(I do appreciate the suggestions, though)...