Blue Man Group

Woebot

This thing is fairly horrific. Did they do an Intel advert? Is this, like, "Performance Art for The Masses"- and is that actually (in spite of my whingeing) a good thing?

john eden

male pale and stale
They did a shockingly bad version of "I feel love" on the Royal Variety Show, with a histrionic opera singer. Bad.

Performance art for the masses? Can be good - "Stomp" is probably fine, as are some of the big events Test Dept did. Far better than most of the guff that passes for "transgressive" performance art, I would imagine.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
:mad: Blue Man Group makes me nostalgic for Mummenschanz...

BMG also put out a "techno" CD a few years back...I think Moby was on it...seems about right...

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
Coming from their home town, I felt I gotta say something.

The main thing is, with exposure, increased popularity, and extension to other markets (LA, Vegas, and a touring one that I think has hit Europe) their quality has gone down.

At the Briar Street Theatre where they began, and still are, the experience is more than just a show. From the talking bathroom stalls to the pipes and cables all throughout the bar, its supposed to be a complete immersion. The actual show seems less like something to watch and think about, and more like something to tune in and turn off to.

But then, I think they know theyre crowd: Broadway song and dance shows are less bout substance and more spectical, so theyve taken this to an "artsy" end.

Btw, here in Chicago, you can volunteer as an usher and see the show for free. You get there 30 minutes early, show people to their seat, and pick up the huge reams of paper at the end. not bad for a $30-40 ticket.

geto.blast

snap on rims
Rambler said:
Sorry, Arrested Development as ruined any chance of me taking this seriously :)

for those who missed that : AD had David Cross "join" the Blue Man Group as a plotline in season 2.

man i m going to have to watch that again.