PDA

View Full Version : khat

luka
04-12-2004, 12:23 AM
its alright this is. got a somalian workmate to get some for me. goes nice with sweet tea and weed. would probably go good with conversation.

sufi
04-12-2004, 12:28 AM
definitely up for a chew http://www.dissensus.com/images/icons/icon8.gif !

infinite thought
04-12-2004, 12:29 AM
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/African_Studies/Hornet/qat.html

Sounds alright! More like speed than weed, that true?

luka
04-12-2004, 12:37 AM
nothing like weed at all. sufi is the expert, i just tried it tonight for the first time. i brought a bundle for 3. my mate told me typically someone will go through about three bundles over the course of an evening, but you feel the effects from one. its in no way overwhelming, just a mild stimulant. you feel a bit charged, head feels a bit clearer, mind moves a bit quicker, body a bit jumpy. not altogether dissimialr to caffine. long talks into the night type thing i think...

nick.K
04-12-2004, 12:41 AM
one night a bloke from somalia gave me a newspaper filled with khat. you chew the roots, leaving the stalk in your cheek and chat. it's bittersweet. where can i get some.....

satanmcnugget
04-12-2004, 01:16 AM
i live smack-dab in the middle of a neighbourhood composed mostly of recent arrivals from Africa/the Middle East...ive been meaning to try it for years...maybe now ill finally remember...damn weed ;)

sufi
05-12-2004, 09:08 PM
http://inglistan.net/blog/qat.htm

polystyle desu
05-12-2004, 10:56 PM
I think some of these reggaetone makers must be using ...
I heard a track in the studio the other day by these Mexican, Dominican and Puerto Rican guys who were in before us , the music had a cracked Somali guitar sample they got from "BlackHawk Down" ,
a big rock power guitar chord , the Latin Twister's rapping an all together anxious edge to it

luka
06-12-2004, 11:29 AM
i liked it though i didn't really know what i was doing. i followed the link and people were going aw its shit its not nearly as strong as speed but i wasn't really anticipating some tripped out fucked up rush thing, i just wanted to smoke weed and stay awake and alert while i was at work.

i just chewed the soft bits, leaves buds a bit of tender stalk but i found it impossible to get a big lump all together, you have to go really fast, theres a bit of a knack to it.

nick, i dunno where you get it the easiest thing is to ask a somalian.

rewch
06-12-2004, 02:16 PM
there is a bit of a knack...it helps if when getting going you drink very little, get a fair bit in to establish a cheekful & then add gradually masticating gently...in yemen they quite like to drink coke with it...the caffeine enhances it...and cold water, which tastes deeply delicious...the smoking of cigarettes is de rigeur, but if you really want to start rushing a shisha/mada'a is essential...there are different varieties...i remember one which keeps you up for a couple of days...not unpleasant - or particualrly wired for that matter - but sleep impossible...yemeni devotees often have one cheek saggier than the other due to their ability to get a tennis ball of qat in...quite odd when you see them without it...i only used to manage to get one going that was about half that size...good stuff qat

haven't chewed for ages...used to buy it in cable street...