khat

luka

its alright this is. got a somalian workmate to get some for me. goes nice with sweet tea and weed. would probably go good with conversation.

sufi

lala
definitely up for a chew
icon8.gif
!

luka

nothing like weed at all. sufi is the expert, i just tried it tonight for the first time. i brought a bundle for £3. my mate told me typically someone will go through about three bundles over the course of an evening, but you feel the effects from one. its in no way overwhelming, just a mild stimulant. you feel a bit charged, head feels a bit clearer, mind moves a bit quicker, body a bit jumpy. not altogether dissimialr to caffine. long talks into the night type thing i think...

Reactions: sus

nick.K

gabba survivor
one night a bloke from somalia gave me a newspaper filled with khat. you chew the roots, leaving the stalk in your cheek and chat. it's bittersweet. where can i get some.....

satanmcnugget

i live smack-dab in the middle of a neighbourhood composed mostly of recent arrivals from Africa/the Middle East...ive been meaning to try it for years...maybe now ill finally remember...damn weed ;)

polystyle

khat raps

I think some of these reggaetone makers must be using ...
I heard a track in the studio the other day by these Mexican, Dominican and Puerto Rican guys who were in before us , the music had a cracked Somali guitar sample they got from "BlackHawk Down" ,
a big rock power guitar chord , the Latin Twister's rapping an all together anxious edge to it

luka

i liked it though i didn't really know what i was doing. i followed the link and people were going aw its shit its not nearly as strong as speed but i wasn't really anticipating some tripped out fucked up rush thing, i just wanted to smoke weed and stay awake and alert while i was at work.

i just chewed the soft bits, leaves buds a bit of tender stalk but i found it impossible to get a big lump all together, you have to go really fast, theres a bit of a knack to it.

nick, i dunno where you get it the easiest thing is to ask a somalian.

rewch

there is a bit of a knack...it helps if when getting going you drink very little, get a fair bit in to establish a cheekful & then add gradually masticating gently...in yemen they quite like to drink coke with it...the caffeine enhances it...and cold water, which tastes deeply delicious...the smoking of cigarettes is de rigeur, but if you really want to start rushing a shisha/mada'a is essential...there are different varieties...i remember one which keeps you up for a couple of days...not unpleasant - or particualrly wired for that matter - but sleep impossible...yemeni devotees often have one cheek saggier than the other due to their ability to get a tennis ball of qat in...quite odd when you see them without it...i only used to manage to get one going that was about half that size...good stuff qat

haven't chewed for ages...used to buy it in cable street...

sus

Natural cathinones! Sounds great TBH, only ever tried synthesized Cats, and the experience of chewing... Wow. Can you ship me some Luka?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I bought some of this from an Internet cafe or something years back, just asked if they had it and he produced a load with a grin and said "You will like" - guess I bought it a few more times in fact but this is going waaaaaay back now. Remember it as being a mild speedy feeling I think.

sufi

lala
Sorry this is a bit old, i posted all this on another forum just pre-dissensus, & copied it over to my now-defunct blog, so i don't think these wise words are available any more
1/2
urban75 forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.9
Last Thread Next Thread

qat2.gif

laf
visitor

cat, khat, Catha edulis info
after doing cat quiet a few times now, i am wondering what u guys can tell me about it? experiences or so.

what i found out about it, its mostly sold in the plant form. we get it in powder form and i heard that alot of other things are added with the powder.. anyone know?

its also said that cat is in the same category as coke and heroin, is it true? i dont see cat as a hardcore drug, but i think coke and heroin is hardcore. how dangerous is cat compared to other drugs?

anyone got something to say about this?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-02-2003 01:24 PM

Xantrix
resident

Last edited by Xantrix on 02-02-2003 at 04:21 PM

02-02-2003 04:17 PM

khat1.jpg

METH LAB
resident

Its a stimulant / mild halucinagen ide say...... dont get you anywhere near as high as speed, its like ephedrine and cannabis mixed.... gotta a wierd sensory effect to it in my experiance but its basically just a shitty stimulant..... 'real' fresh proper KHAT is probably very good but you be lucky to get that...... ive had it in leaf and liquid form, wassant impressed. Same catagory as coke and heroin?? HELL NO!

02-02-2003 04:36 PM

tom k&e
Libertarian libertine

Fresh khat contains cathinone, a milder form of methcathinone but you'll only get this from some african grocers who ship in in fresh. However, it it's dried or powdered it will only contain cathine, which isn't nearly as strong. www.salvia-divinorum-supplies.co.uk stock dried khat, which means it won't be srictly illegal.

02-02-2003 06:07 PM

khat3.jpg

METH LAB
resident

You can score KHAT in some bong shops / hippy-shops..... beanfreaks used to sell it in a liquid form. Its not illegal, the samalians flog it aswell, did i mention open air markets?? Loads of the stuff available from those places.

Its bollocks though, u need the super fresh stuff and you aint gonna get it.... u be buzzin alot more off standerd whizz.

02-02-2003 06:23 PM

qat1.jpg

sufilala
visitor

Qat!
I've had some great experiences with the old privet...
it's as much the ritual of having a good session as the high , there are 3 main types - ethiopian, yemeni & kenyan, each with slightly different properties and appearance , but the main folk that have it in uk are the somali community, although as it has to be grown in the mountains they can't produce it at home, throughout the war qat was flown in regularly without disruption, and trucked in by landcruiser daily across the deserts from ethiopia and kenya

In yemen apparently the whole country runs on it, the cabinet meet in the afternoon for a chew, the economy is getting ruined because farmers prefer growing it to hard currency crops like coffee.

i've chewed in kenya, somalia and ethiopia, (also eritrea where it's actually illegal..whooo) - somalis are really into it, session goes like this, someone goes off to market and scores the freshest available, you have to chew within 48 hours so you have to check it to make sure and haggle like a fiend, it costs about 40p a bundle, usually it's wrapped in banana leaves to keep it moist, there are loads of different varieties ethi is long and juicy, kenyan(which is called miraa in swahili) short and red, yemeni (which i never tried) is more leafy, my favorite is ethiopian and the acknowleged champion in ethiopia is qat from Harar a beautiful walled town in the mountains of east ethiopia , mmmm, then eat some spicy food and get ready to settle down.
stuff you need for your session: chewing gum, hot milky tea, coca cola, many, many cigarettes, preferably a big bong full of arabic tobacco, iced water, spitoons, some incense,
put mats and cushions all round the floor with all your stuff in the middle, close all the doors and windows, take off your shoes, by this time some of your mates will have turned up, hopefullly they've scored as well so you can compare crops and diss one another affectionately.

so you start to chew, there is much debate about how exactly to chew, some use chewing gum(kenyans), some don't, some people masticate the whole branch, others just the tips or leaves or bark, some spit some er don't, the arabic word for chewing is khazn, which means to treasure, so basically your trying to get a big lump of masticated pulp stuck in your cheek so it looks like youve got a tennis ball in there. try not to dribble too much.
while youre chewing youll get stuck into some really intense conversations, sipping soda and tea and water and smoking epic amounts, as the afternoon goes on visitors drift in and out you'll feel pretty high, you may sweat and have some very animated conversations, in a speedy sort of wired way, until the room gradually quietens and suddenly you notice it's 3am youre surrounded by debris, and proabably it's late to get home thru the streets of nairobi, addis ababa, mogadishu, wherever you are without getting taxed by ak47-wielding qat heads of the night.....

often at this stage i'd have a swift drink or 3 and pass out

next morning - no hangover, maybe your mouth feels a bit ruff, but your ready to get down the market and score again...

the story continues... since somalia started getting nasty in the 80s somalis have developed networks to transport qat for the diaspora around the world, it is apparently a significant social problem amongst refugee communities, where the guys never manage to adjust to exile as they spend every day chewing & discussing somali politix in dark rooms . so you can get addicted, i've also heard it can make you impotent or drive you nuts

as someone said, you can find qat in london, about £4 a kilo/bundle, if you can find the yemani grocer in whitechapel your laughing, i don't know anywhere in brixton these days tho, i've had some really good sessions in london, i've checked a somali qat house in wembley that really took me back to the indian ocean, tho it did also kind of resemble a crack house. i'd recommend getting an invite from a somali chewer in london, i've received the most hospitable treatment in many countries whilst indulging in sociologocal gat chewing

the logisitics are awesome, imagine the qat is picked in holy mount meru kenya, landcruisered to one of nairobis airports at high speed and sent on to somali or airfreight to europe, so it can be chewed within 2 days, it's illegal in quite a few european countries, particularly scandinavia, london is pretty much the centre of trade outside africa & yemen. back i the early 90s me and some mates got involved with some somali dealers in london, they paid us to courier for them, back then it was pretty much unknown in america and was only dodgy in that you're not allowed to import fresh products!!(it's illegal properly now i'm sorry to say) i travelled to new york a couple of times where i stayed with the local somali mafia, some mates went to italy, one went to norway where he got busted and spent a while inside so we knocked that one on the head, though it was excellent while it lasted + quite lucrative, i got busted by customs in heathrow one time with about 100 kilos, i couldnt carry the cases they were so heavy, they didn't do me, but wouldnt let me on the flight, i taxied it back home and flew out with my cargo the next morning, it was a bit old by the time it arrived in harlem, but still woth about $40/kilo

so that's my qat experiences....
i don't know any good website but there's a good book by shelagh weir - qat in yemen. i haven't had a chew for a long time, must get one together soon....

i've also seen a goat with a henna beard eat it,

editted for spellling

Last edited by sufilala on 03-02-2003 at 12:09 AM

02-02-2003 11:21 PM​