Political Compass

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalcompass/index.php

They begin by explaining why "Left" and "Right" are hideously out of date. Adn then you answer some questions, and see how you relate to others in history.

I thought a lot of the questions were appropriate, some however seemed to assume a bit of social philosophy or economics background.

Also, I assume that they are conjecturing about historical figures' answers to these questions. Did Hitler or Pol Pot have a stance on gay adoption rights? How about the legalisation of Marijuana?

I found myself farther down and to the left of Gandhi.

Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Pretty interesting. I've often noted that left and right are outdated and simplistic terms but never thought of such a simple way to try and improve on it. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that the questions fit well to the graph but it's quite a fun quiz. I would have liked a neutral answer on some questions or more flexibility but that is always the problem in this kind of thing.
Given that it's fairly crude anyway I think it's fair enough to guess answers for Hitler or whoever; seeing as he put homosexuals in concentration camps I don't think he's going to be pro gay adoption.
I came out with coordinates at (-4.75,-5.90) which I suspect would be not a million miles away from most people on here but maybe I'm wrong, I would be quite interested to see.

jasonh

Just did the test, the results are in...

It only means that no-one except posters on Dissensus would ever vote for me if I was a politician...

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Yeah, most people I see on the internet (including me) who have taken such a test are in the bottom left quadrant. Makes you wonder how people like Bush are elected. I am aware that mine isn't not a representative sample. The strange thing is that of all the parties in the US right now I would probably vote Libertarian, even though they are not in the same quadrant as me. Not that I agree with Libertarians on everything but I didn't expect myself so far in the bottom left.

jasonh

We're in the hidden majority who don't vote for anyone as all of the parties (in the the UK at least) are pallid photocopies of '80's Thatcherism.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
DigitalDjigit said:
Yeah, most people I see on the internet (including me) who have taken such a test are in the bottom left quadrant. Makes you wonder how people like Bush are elected. I am aware that mine isn't not a representative sample. The strange thing is that of all the parties in the US right now I would probably vote Libertarian, even though they are not in the same quadrant as me. Not that I agree with Libertarians on everything but I didn't expect myself so far in the bottom left.

I didnt expec tto find myself there either. I expect I was so far away from the origin because of hte amount of times i used "strongly".

I wondered that about Bush as well, but then just take a road trip across the US. For each person in a big city getting their news online and questioning the media and the government, there are 100 little towns spread out across the landscape where they unquestioningly disagree about nationalism and trusting the government and questioning authority. We are not so much a nation as "united states".

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.87

This is not a surprise to me, but the questions are structured from a statist point of view and soem questions it's definitely the 'best answer' not the right one eg. the 'land should not be a comoditiy to be bought or sold' one.

D

droid

Nearly off the chart. No surprise there. :eek:

Economic Left/Right: -7.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.90

Least worst answers all the way. Best implementation of this idea that Ive yet seen though...

tryptych

waiting for a time
Yikes, economic -9.13, social -8.21

Too many of the questions presuppose some context - like "military intervention in against international law is always wrong" - does that mean under the international laws we have now, or any possible future international law?

D

droid

spackb0y said:
Yikes, economic -9.13, social -8.21

Too many of the questions presuppose some context - like "military intervention in against international law is always wrong" - does that mean under the international laws we have now, or any possible future international law?

Stop trying to wriggle out of it comrade... Just admit your a filthy red like the rest of us! :D

john eden

male pale and stale
Economic Left/Right: -9.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.21

I am becoming more authoritarian. Excellent!

owen

Bah! wanted to be authoritarian left, oh well...
Economic Left/Right: -8.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.10

btw, how on earth is the dalai lama 'left'??