next grime mc to get a deal?

petergunn

plywood violin
for me, it should be tinchy... the more i listen, the more i think he's like biggie played at 45rpm... dude has mad charisma, an amazing flow, and a style...

Constance Labounty

Down since 1999
Logan Sama said:
No one is getting an album deal for ages.
Everyone always says this but why not? Aren't labels always looking for the next big thing? Do they think not enough people listen to grime? Like, to me, grime is clearly one of the biggest developments in music recently. So is it actually not? I just don't get it... :confused:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i've asked several A&Rs and publishers and they all support logan's view - the majors think grime is unmarketable.

S

simon silverdollar

i could see Bashy being marketable- funny, clever, smooth and talented but not too 'weird' with his flow- could be the next kano...

bassnation

the abyss
Blackdown said:
i've asked several A&Rs and publishers and they all support logan's view - the majors think grime is unmarketable.

this is ludicrous. people buy shitloads of hip hop in this country, it doesn't take a genius to see that grime could be massive.

boomnoise

♫
Logan Sama said:
No one is getting an album deal for ages.

how on earth are wiley and skepta going to put their albums out then?

Fiddy said:
...they both have options open and neither are holding out for a major label deal but obviously you just need to explore all avenues before deciding.

what are these avenues? independents?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Independant releases are the way forward, because sadly we have seen that unless you fall into the boyband mould of marketing, UK A&Rs have no idea how to deal with anyone who makes Grime.

They have had years and years of releasing US Hip Hop yes, but the US acts have had years of marketing and releases before they ever set foot in the UK. UK labels have to do nothing more than sign cheques for licensing to Americans, nothing more.

But it is good because it will force us to take responsibility for ourselves and not allow majors to simply suck money out of the music due to our own artists inability to do things themselves and taking the easy route. There is no easy route now.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
2006 is the make or break year for grime. time for grime to build an infrastructure and take control of it's own destiny.

borderpolice

bassnation said:
this is ludicrous. people buy shitloads of hip hop in this country, it doesn't take a genius to see that grime could be massive.

hiphop has almost 30 years of marketing and infrastructure building behind it. and in the biggest unified music marked in the world too. mainstream hiphop sales elsewhere are parasitic upon this. in addition, vocal music by vocalists with non american accents is too unlikely to succeed in the US market long term, hence there will not be enough promotional efforts for grime to succeed in the US, and nobody else has the marketing muscle to push grime big time.

mms

sometimes
i'm optimistic but fexpecting to get signed to a major is not the one., not in this current climate anyway, with more and more larger indies acting like majors too its time for them to get d.i.r.t.y, do it right together yourself, networks, allies, infrastructures, soldiers, battle.

benjybars

village elder.
bassnation said:
it doesn't take a genius to see that grime could be massive.

standard. haven't any a&r's heard skepta on radio or at raves over the last 12 months?? how could he not be massive with some sensible backing? wtf!

C

captain easychord

i don't see the point of a major deal for grime MC's right now. there's room to grow throughout the UK on an independent level for these artists. when the NYC hip hop scene was starting up in the early 80's it took years for majors to get involved, they didn't really know what was up with the music. independents have to carry the load at first IMO.

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
hail

yeah, there needs to be a proper grime independent label, like hiphop had with tommy boy or def jam in the 80s, that's the point i see grime as being at now, there's definetely the talent for a label to start up and release a slew of classics. i'd start a label myself but i've got no money to invest in it... or any kind of business sense
i don't know why an established indie doesn't start a new imprint for grime.

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
big satan said:
yeah, there needs to be a proper grime independent label, like hiphop had with tommy boy or def jam in the 80s, that's the point i see grime as being at now, there's definetely the talent for a label to start up and release a slew of classics. i'd start a label myself but i've got no money to invest in it... or any kind of business sense
i don't know why an established indie doesn't start a new imprint for grime.

so what IS the deal with 679?

yeah, i think it's weird that a small indie couldn't cherry pick, say 1 hot track a month, 12 singles a year, from all the white labels out and make money selling them... a grime boutique label sounds to be like a money maker...

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
well 679 isn't a dedicated grime label, it's cool that they're putting stuff out but if there was a label dealing soley in grime firstly it would mean more stuff being released than just the odd thing here and there, and once the label had been established it would generate interest (maybe only among the hardcore, but still) in new artists who put stuff out on a reliably good label.
unless 679 starts dedicating itself to grime then i don't know it will be able to help create the kind of support the scene needs right now... or i could just be talking out of my arse, i don't know....

another thing grime could do with is getting some good cover art

does anyone know how many copies of white label 12"s tend to get pressed up for a big song? or is that wholey dependant on stuff like how much money whoever's pressing it could afford at the time?

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
petergunn said:
so what IS the deal with 679?

yeah, i think it's weird that a small indie couldn't cherry pick, say 1 hot track a month, 12 singles a year, from all the white labels out and make money selling them... a grime boutique label sounds to be like a money maker...

I would fucking happily do that

All day.

Indie labels give me a shout.

info@logansama.com