Lenky Appreciation Thread

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
Just selecting some dreamweaver versions for a mix im going to do tonight (girlfriend has a sore stomach, im bored . . heh. . . ) and I'm stunned by the detail and variation which runs through this riddim. What other riddims has the man done beyond Dreamweaver and Diwali ? I have another wayne wonder 7" which came out 2005 but apart from that not much else.

D

droid

Masterpiece, Time Travel, Hollow Point, Kingsize (almost a reversion of the 'Answer' Riddim), Z2010 (my Favourite), Spy (Ward 21s 'Y2k stylee') and most recently Bubble up, and I guess, anything else on 40/40

D

droid

Dunno if I have/there is enough of him to be honest. Got 1 or 2 pieces on each riddim and thats it... I tend to go more for the versions...

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
haha fair enough. didnt really dig bubble up that much . .

hmm heres another question . . from about 2002 onwards, did you notice that all of wayne marshalls versions had really cheesy, presety almost van-halen-ish synth in them? I always had visions of wayne bringing in this little casio keyboard and being all .. yeah its hot but what about THIS? and the producer(s) going.. sure wanye sure.. whatever, if you'll version it..

D

droid

minikomi said:
haha fair enough. didnt really dig bubble up that much . .

hmm heres another question . . from about 2002 onwards, did you notice that all of wayne marshalls versions had really cheesy, presety almost van-halen-ish synth in them? I always had visions of wayne bringing in this little casio keyboard and being all .. yeah its hot but what about THIS? and the producer(s) going.. sure wanye sure.. whatever, if you'll version it..

LOL.. I have actually... Ive also been waiting for him to pull out the 'Cher vocoder' - as hes definitely heading in that direction...

Apparantly one of Lenkys big innovations is the customisation of the riddims for each artist... I know people have been doing it for years, but it really seems to have caught on lately. Probably get bored recording those 30+ vocal versions otherwise...

minikomi

pu1.pu2.wav.noi
yeah... no doubt. he definitely kicked it up a notch.
i remember the caeser riddim being very good for this too... only one or two good versions and all in all not a great riddim on its own but all the changes really made it a lot of fun.

casiowayne9qy.jpg

D

droid

Forgot about Mo'Wax's 'Now thing' LP, which is chock full of Lenky versions and readily available.

From Molex:

$ham$ "Grass Cyaat"
Sly, Frenchie, Lenky "Dark Side"
Buccaneer "Warlord"
Ward 21 & Renegade "Aunty"
$ham$ "Baddis"
Lenky & Frenchie "Bad Moda"
Lenky & Frenchie "Space Invaders"
Slam "Jigga"
Steely & Clevie "Nightcrawler"
Ward 21 "Badda Badda"
Lenky "Z2010"
Goldfinga "Stress"
Sly & Lenky "Now Thing"
Annex "WWW.COM"

gabriel

The Heatwave
lenky also produced Send It On on the latest Sean Paul album. big tune.

and on 40/40 there's also the qv weaver mix, where lenky took all the vocals on dreamweaver, sped them up and put a soca-style beat under them. plus three singles from last year as well as the wayne wonder mentioned upthread (perfect combination) - assassin 'gangsta city', degree 'concentrate' and zumjay 'boys & girls'. none of them are very good though

I'll do a lenky mix at some point - I've got the diwali and masterpiece riddim albums and 4-6 pieces on his four other 40/40 riddims, plus a bit of his pre-diwali stuff like kingsize

Last edited: