5. Pulp - Woody McBride
6. Lathe - David Myers/Arcane Device
7. Industrial Ambients - Laibach
8. Slogan - SPK
9. Free Music #1 - Percy Grainger
10. Imagination - Sun Ra/The Arkestra
11. She's Too Much For My Mirror / My Human Gets Me Blues - Captain Beefheart

terrific stuff!

the other two volumes are on their way :)

mms

sometimes
subrosa is excellent
very interesting releases all the way
burroughs,todd docktstader, buddhist monks, gypsy brass, jojouka music, luk ferrari, angus maclease, dada. duchamp, philip jeck, excellent stuff.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Volume one is incredible. Volume 3 had yet to buy it, and volume 4 will be in shops in the next weeks...
... Sub Rosa had reissued John Levy Tibetan Monks chans, unbelievable beauty, and had in plan to reissue more John Levy recordings and a series of Fields Recordings, Secret Museum, from the archivies of David Toop.
Also in that volume 2 was written they wanted to issue more Alan Splet (of Eraserhead fame) recordings :)

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
francesco said:
and volume 4 will be in shops in the next weeks...
icon_yippee.gif

francesco said:
Also in that volume 2 was written they wanted to issue more Alan Splet (of Eraserhead fame) recordings :)

yes I read that :).
Tnd the short track on Vol.2 was amazing — "a combination of the air conditioning vent and slowed down voices recorded in St. Oran's chapel on the Scottish island of Iona", according to Ann Kroeber.

subvert47

Vol.3 just arrived :)

Disk: 1
1. Matieres Induites - Bernard Parmegiani
2. The Sackbut Blues / A Noisome Pestilence - Hugh Le Caine
3. Stereo Music For Serge Modular Prototype - Keith Fullerton Whitman
4. Last Largo, The - Ilhan Mimaroglu
5. Room Pieces: Excerpt - Michael J. Schumacher
6. Ovipool - Justin Bennett
7. Reciprocal - Scott Gibbons
8. Flume - Fred Szymanski
9. Untitled #148 - Francisco Lopez
10. Execution Of Intelligence - Zbigniew Karkowski
11. Birds And Warhouse - Masami Akita
12. Dies Irae From Requiem - Michel Chion

Disk: 2
1. Sahkosoittimem #4 - Erkki Kurenniemi
2. Time.. Dot - Carsten Nicolai
3. Early Work 6 - Peter Rehberg
4. Klangstudies II - Herbert Eimert/Robert Beyer
5. Eve - Gunther Rabl
6. Teilmenge 35 C - Asmus Tietchens
7. Feuerland - Michael Rother
8. The Faust Tapes #16 & #17 - Faust
9. Contacte - To Rococo Rot
10. Phauss Eternal Love #3 - CM Von Hausswolff
11. Opus 205 - Rune Lindgrad

vache

Rambler said:
Is this the same guy as Michel Chion the film critic?
yes, and author of Audio-Vision which is well-worth reading. Yeah, Requiem has to go hands-down as one of the most unsettling pieces of post-war music recorded.

I like the idea of this series combining old and new work together. However, my one complaint is the exclusion of Herbert Brun or Milton Babbitt from this series as well as older computer-composed music. Somehow the definition of electronic music and noise chosen ignores pre-1995 computer-synthesized compositions. Am I missing something?

Pretty funny that Woody McBride is on volume 2!

Last edited:

Rambler

Awanturnik
Thanks. I've just read his book on Kubrick's 2001; I'll have to revisit what he says about the music...

subvert47

and now Vol.1 :)

Disc 1:
1. Corale - Antonio & Luigi Russolo
2. Wochende - Walter Ruttman
3. Cinq Etudes de Bruits: Etude Violette - Pierre Schaeffer
4. Scambi - Henri Pousseur
5. The Dresden Interleaf 13 February 1945 - Gordon Mumma
6. Trance #2 - Angus MacLise, Tony Conrad, John Cale
7. Untitled #1 - Martin Tétreault, Otomo Yoshihide, Philip Jeck
8. October 24, 1992 Graz, Austria - Survival Research Laboratories
9. Ragout: Küchen Rezpt - Einstürzende Neubauten
10. Aspekt - Konrad Boehmer

Disc 2:
1. Hommage à John Cage - Nam June Paik
2. Rozart Mix - John Cage
3. Audience - Sonic Youth
4. Poème Électronique - Edgard Varèse
5. Concret Ph - Iannis Xenakis
6. FTP > Bundle/Conduit 23 - DJ Spooky
7. A Little Noise in the System (Moog System) - Pauline Oliveros
8. One Minute - Ryoji Ikeda

zhao

there are no accidents
these look like curatorial fucking nightmares. in fact, I wake up screaming in the middle of the night having dreamt that I was in charge of some delusionally grandiose and ludicrously over-ambitious project and turning out hydra headed monsters like these...

not to mention the royal mess of a listening experience they must make!

I have way too much respect for the works of most of these artists to see tiny excerpts from their albums arbituarily slapped next to something completely different. to homogenize the specific thinking and tragectories of these artists is just criminal, considering the singularity, uniqueness, and sheeer scope of their vision.

and side by side with selections which are dodgy at best - Edgar Varese next to Sonic Youth??? WHAT THE FUCK???

francesco

Minerva Estassi
bruno said:
why are scanner and dj spooky on these? are the tracks any good?

the tracks of others and older musicians are so great (and also not always easy to find at all) that you don't fucking care about scanner and dj spooky. The sonic youth piece is nice, is simply a recording of the audience! But ok, after there is Concrete Ph, one of the 10 greatest pieces of music of all time, and that incredibly and until this cd issue inedit 30 minute pieces by Oliveros made in the '60 (also recently pressed by Table of Elements in a limited deluxe vinyl) that destroy almost anything done by label like Mille Plateaux in the '90.... (not that i don't love many of those MP releases!).
... ok some discutible tracks there and here but the compilations are great, expecially the first. Wish to know the tracklist of volume four.....

zhao

there are no accidents
Martin Dust said:
Interesting point, if you've heard all the other albums...

I guess as a post modern shopping mall, however garish or tastelessly presented, these comps may have their uses... I'll grudgingly admit. there are some names that I've never heard (Konrad Boehmer? asse Steen?) , and I guess it would satisfy some curiosity to hear randomly picked 3 minutes from their entire body of work...

bruno

est malade
francesco said:
the tracks of others and older musicians are so great (and also not always easy to find at all) that you don't fucking care about scanner and dj spooky. The sonic youth piece is nice, is simply a recording of the audience! But ok, after there is Concrete Ph, one of the 10 greatest pieces of music of all time, and that incredibly and until this cd issue inedit 30 minute pieces by Oliveros made in the '60 (also recently pressed by Table of Elements in a limited deluxe vinyl) that destroy almost anything done by label like Mille Plateaux in the '90.... (not that i don't love many of those MP releases!).
... ok some discutible tracks there and here but the compilations are great, expecially the first. Wish to know the tracklist of volume four.....

thanks, francesco. ah, the oliveros pieces i would love to hear! i'm torn between confucious' position and your enthusiasm for these comps, i suppose it boils down to what you want from a release. i have the xenakis electronic music cd because i wanted to hear all of the pieces, from the shorter (concrete ph) to the ridiculously long (bohor), but had i never heard a xenakis piece i might have shelled out for a sub rosa compilation like the ones above. and as a kid i bought a compilation for the throbbing gristle track and ended up discovering can through it, so i suppose it's all good with compilations.

geto.blast

snap on rims
confucius said:
I'll grudgingly admit. there are some names that I've never heard (Konrad Boehmer? asse Steen?) ,

well lasse steem (choose, p.serve, fields of defacement etc etc) was probably selected to represent that extreme form of hardcore techno from labels like Hordes/Hangars liquides , fischkopf and the likes.

imho La Peste would have been a better inclusion or maybe mouse or fraktal.

subvert47

geto.blast said:
imho La Peste would have been a better inclusion or maybe mouse or fraktal.

you couldn't put Mouse on there.
she'd make all the rest of them seem totally lightweight

:)