Matias Aguayo

run_time

Have enjoyed his album but seeing him play live last night was a treat. Loved the live use of vocals and the low slung sound was great for a Sunday night (Bar Music Hall, Curtain Road, London) particularly with room to move. If you get the opportunity, he's worth checking out and they definitely looked like they were having fun...

owen

he's very sultry, is he not?

a case should be made for Closer Musik as a bit of a great lost group- the luxuriant narcissism of 'you don't know me' never fails to put several shivers up my spine. that said i haven't heard much of the post- break up stuff (save for the kylie thing with michael mayer, which was also awesome)- must check this out at some point

S

simon silverdollar

are you really lost, the song-not the album- is fantastic. it's like sparse grime or dancehall techno or something. it's really unexpected and i love it.

Tim F

"So In Love" is awesome too - so eerie and involving. And the version of "De Papal" with the ridulous(ly great) raps! Actually that final 3 song stretch is a total victory lap of brilliance.

DavidD

can't be stopped
This and Fraximal were both albums I liked a lot. They seem sorta ave. looking back on them, but I think that might just be high standards. Yeah they're both great. And as usual Tim's named my favorite tracks, haha. I can't say I was following what Phil Sherburne saw about the drums n feathers track as much though, cool textures and all but I might not have heard it in the right context. (on drugs)

S

simon silverdollar

run_time said:
Have enjoyed his album but seeing him play live last night was a treat. Loved the live use of vocals and the low slung sound was great for a Sunday night (Bar Music Hall, Curtain Road, London) particularly with room to move. If you get the opportunity, he's worth checking out and they definitely looked like they were having fun...

is it a regular thing to have decent music on at the bar music hall on a sunday night, then? if so i may have to pop down some time.

micmack

My Little Pony
simon silverdollar said:
are you really lost, the song-not the album- is fantastic. it's like sparse grime or dancehall techno or something. it's really unexpected and i love it.

Secconded, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I wonder if more techno/dubstep hybrids will start to be released

run_time

wanted to reiterate, take every opportunity to catch these guys live (saw them at a Kompakt showcase a couple of months ago), their sound is much fatter and sexier live without resorting to musical cliches...would love to see them in London again but doubt that's likely given the poor attendance last time

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Loved his album last year, thought it was really evocative and followed up on the best bits of Closer Music... it would seem that Junior Boys were listening at the time cos their new one is at times a bit like a sugar coated version of "Are You Really Lost". "So In Love" is a great Lynchian sleaze dance track, its the way Aguayo takes familiar electro conventions and some how stretches them out into more psychotic realms, whilst delivering grooves of Kraftwerkian classicism sonically, but with their Apollonian innocence diverted somewhere more sinister. And yes, at times his stuff sounds like its in an adjacent room to grime or dancehall, not quite there in terms of syncopation but next door perhaps... Does anyone know if he's doing a new album any time soon?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
So Matt- tell us about the new album then- given that your blog is the only site I could find on the entire internet with any info on it...?

N

nomadologist

wanted to reiterate, take every opportunity to catch these guys live (saw them at a Kompakt showcase a couple of months ago), their sound is much fatter and sexier live without resorting to musical cliches...would love to see them in London again but doubt that's likely given the poor attendance last time

can you really improve on "Are you REally Lost?" which is hands down one of the best albums of the 00s

why doesn't he ever play the US??

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I dunno about best album of the 00s but it is exceptionally underrated, and Aguayo's work both solo and with Closer Music is sexy in an appealingly sinister way. He also manages to synthesize 80s-ish influences with modern sound design without getting too caught up in the modishness of either exercise.

N

nomadologist

i said "one of". but sadly, i can't think of too many i like much more. his production is very sleek but still has a lot of deep reverby bass tones and saturation

Chris

fractured oscillations
I haven't gotten around to checking him out yet. Is "Are You Really Lost?" the best thing to start with, or are there better examples of his sound?

N

nomadologist

his sound is pretty consistent on AYRL with his earlier stuff with Closer Musik, which is also definitely worth checking out, though not as good imo

Chris

fractured oscillations
Right on... I wish I thought of him yesterday when I did my obligatory record-binge. Put quite a hole in my pocket as usual. :confused::rolleyes:

DJ PIMP

I went nuts over that album. There are very few techno long players I sit and listen to in their entirety but thats one of them. Perfect for coming up or down and I love the sleazeyness... great beep-boop push-pull repulsion-attraction stylings. I've been waiting and looking for more Aguayo? I crave it. Gus you lucky bastard, I'd possibly combust if I saw these guys live.

Drums and Feathers is hot. Wormy acid b-line. Nice simple clean drums. The woo vocals with the deep delay. Singing/humming along to the beat ala Aguayo or Timbaland - I thought everyone did that?

I love how most of the album is relatively technically simple, but the eq/mix is great and it sounds lo-fi big money... they totally nailed the lowlight latin crooner drugfuck electro sleaze niche to death.

AWESOME WORK GUYS, YOU'RE AN INSPIRATION.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yeah nice flat fat sounds, chugging relatively low tempos, sleaze- he's got that Kraftwerkian skill of pulling together a few simple elements into something effortlessly funky. The Closer Music stuff he vocals is just as good, if slightly less chunky production wise and rather more pointillist.

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

I liked bits of Closer but like you say, Lost is fatter and groovier... much more my style. Blends well with the likes of Romboy et al.

It's all textbook voodoo - how to work hypnotic tracks from few elements.
Classic stuff... and bits like The Green and the Red are great; funny, quirky tracks.

The album is effortlessly smooth and "cool".