Ladytron's "Destroy Everything You Touch"

dominic

Beast of Burden
ladytron are perhaps too big in england to attract much discussion on dissenus

but their "destroy everything you touch" song has been out for about 6 months now

i think this is a fabulous song -- have played it virtually non-stop today

any opinions?

and how does the rest of the "witching hour" album compare with this single?

mikeray

out of touch
Diggedy Derek said:
They're actually not that big in the UK- I believe they were dropped by their label recently.

Actually, i think their label, Emperor Norton Records, went bankrupt or something! I have been a fan of Ladytron since their Commodore EP came out in 2000. This was before the whole electroclash thing existed (i think) and they sounded amazingly fresh at the time. i am glad that they are trying to expand their sound more cuz the whole electroclash thing is getting a bit tired (yeah i still love it but its played out)

I have not heard The Witching Hour but this makes me want to listen to it!

don_quixote

Trent End
i actually spoke to reuben about this and their last label went bust (as was said, but wasnt it telstar?) and they were left to sit on "witching hour" for a year longer than they would have if things had been cool. so they had to approach new record labels with an album which is probably their strongest... maybe. they certainly pack a punch live, and their club in liverpool is meant to be hott.

dHarry

Martin Dust said:
Love all the early stuff...604 still does it for me :)

604 ("The greatest electronic LP since Dare" - Felix Da Housecat) & Light and Magic are both masterworks of serotonin-boosting synth-riffs, harsh drum machinism, and addictive pop melodies as I think I burbled on another thread around here, joining dots you didn't know existed between Marlene Dietrich, Abba, John Foxx and the Human League.

Witching Hour was unexpectedly rocky in places, with a hint of My Bloody Valentine, and not quite enough of those delicious anglo/eastern European dual vocal lines, but still maintained some of the sexy synthesized symphonic (p)sychotic sang-froid.

They are shining stars in a media-world of indie retro-mediocrity which fails to bow down and worship them. I can't think of many others I would say that about.

owen

Marlene Dietrich, Abba, John Foxx and the Human League.
wow, save Marx, Engels and Lenin, lists of personages get no more illustrious than that

do agree with much of the above, annoying somewhat how they tend to get subsumed in 80s revivalism because they, like, use synthesisers and dress up and stuff- the ladytronymy version of 'sugar' is in my hypothetical (and very short) greatest records released in 2005 list

mikeray

out of touch
i would like to add that i think light and magic was crap save for 3 or so songs. i think that is why i have not listened to The Witching Hour yet.