Do music producers who use pirated software...

D

droid

What about producers and labels who never clear their samples complaining about their tunes being on mix CD's?

we use cracked software and blatantly rip massive samples of copyrighted material...

...it seems only fitting that our stuff be bootlegged and shared around

we're the Dept of Hell Science, it's what we do :cool:

the only problem is when producers think they're missing out on $$$ by someone selling them mixtapes and not passing a percentage on...

...we all know theres no money in underground music unless you license it to films, games, adverts in which case just cut out the samples and replace em with legit ones

but people still have a right to complain about anything and have them complaints ignored or dismissed...

no one really cares anymore do they ???

of course sir...

bassnation said:
all music appropriates something from somebody down the line.

appropriation is one thing...stealing the means by which you create sound and then moaning when someone steals your sound (through burning, on d/l) is silly though imo...

I remember when I first started I made like 100 beats (hip hop stuff) back in 2000 and gave 'em to some friends...next thing I know they were being used by bare different mans and one even ended up being synchronised on Channel 4! Of course I moaned (sync dough is big bucks!) but then I realised my own fault in the chain. Therefore lesson learned.

Last edited:
D

droid

Tactics said:
next thing I know they were being used by bare different mans and one even ended up being synchronised on Channel 4! Of course I moaned (sync dough is big bucks!) but then I realised my own fault in the chain. Therefore lesson learned.

C4 didnt rip you off. This kinda thing happens all the time. If youd registered as an artist with your local musicians rights association you would have made some money out of that...

I know all about...

droid said:
C4 didnt rip you off. This kinda thing happens all the time. If youd registered as an artist with your local musicians rights association you would have made some money out of that...

MCPS, PRS, the MU and their roles and that...at the time though it felt like I had been cheated as a consequence of using cracked goods.....

bassnation

the abyss
Tactics said:
I remember when I first started I made like 100 beats (hip hop stuff) back in 2000 and gave 'em to some friends...next thing I know they were being used by bare different mans and one even ended up being synchronised on Channel 4! Of course I moaned (sync dough is big bucks!) but then I realised my own fault in the chain. Therefore lesson learned.

yeah i agree - i once had a producer (who was further down the line than myself) sample loops from one of my demos - don't mind that so much but he didn't bother to send me a copy of the ep or even an mp3. its all about having respect for other people and being reasonable imo.

nah thats long and wrong....

bassnation said:
yeah i agree - i once had a producer (who was further down the line than myself) sample loops from one of my demos - don't mind that so much but he didn't bother to send me a copy of the ep or even an mp3. its all about having respect for other people and being reasonable imo.

im sure I've armsed up man for less than that lol....what did you do when you found out?

bassnation

the abyss
Tactics said:
im sure I've armsed up man for less than that lol....what did you do when you found out?

i was disapointed, but didn't do anything - just decided never send him any music ever again.

the most annoying thing was, he said my tunes were crap - of course don't mind him thinking that and i'd prefer honest feedback - but then to go and use bits of them without crediting me.... well!

Last edited:

shudder

so true. so many kids have pirated copies of FL or Reason, and make really shitty beats for a week or two and then give up.

bassnation

the abyss
shudder said:
so true. so many kids have pirated copies of FL or Reason, and make really shitty beats for a week or two and then give up.

and conversly, buying the most expensive studio money can buy is no garuntee either - hence all those mid-nineties house jocks splashing their djing fees on studios and producing shit.

i buy most stuff now, especially ableton live because its not pricey and its a fantastic piece of software. can't afford things like cubase and soundforge though.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
bassnation said:
can't afford things like cubase and soundforge though.
Yes you can -- for Cubase anyway. The cut-down versions really do have 90% of what you need, i.e. no surround etc., but all the audio and midi editing. Under a ton. Just a thought.

bassnation

the abyss
2stepfan said:
Yes you can -- for Cubase anyway. The cut-down versions really do have 90% of what you need, i.e. no surround etc., but all the audio and midi editing. Under a ton. Just a thought.

really, didn't know that. thats more my kind of price range. still, i'm used to ableton now - a lot of people are using it as a fully fledged sequencer these days (although its definitely got its quirks). my mate matt has done all of his label releases using ableton, right through from conception to mastering.