Oona and Me

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
This documentary about Oona King and the Bethnal Green byelection was made by a close childhood friend. One thinks it might be a complete whitewash, then, but on the other hand her friend was anti war, so it might be interesting. I wonder what Oliver Craner thinks? He might even be in it!

I'm tempted to go and see it at the NFT on saturday. Any thoughts?

Dir: Nora Meyer
United Kingdom 2005
72mins Colour Digibeta

Oona King entered Parliament in 1997, one of the most media-friendly of the original ‘Blair Babes’. But voting for the Iraq War alienated her from much of her constituency and prompted a challenge from former Labour party rebel George Galloway and his Respect party. The ‘Battle of Bethnal Green & Bow’ was the highest-profile contest of the general election, and King allowed her childhood friend Nora Meyer to make a documentary about it. But Meyer, like many of King’s constituents, was opposed to the Iraq invasion and wonders if ‘New Labour’ has dulled her friend’s youthful radicalism. Embedded within the Labour campaign, Meyer’s film is a telling insider look at local politics at its sharpest edge. It’s also a moving portrait of how politics, and film making, can test even the strongest friendships.