etymology of "grime"

it's that smelly shit you get under your fingernails that you just can't help sniffing ;)

...but there was the rehplex compilations and before that I think dillinja was bandying it about to describe his sound I just thought it was UKG rebranding itself after the bad press it got about violence and beef

sorry dunno, but like you keen to find out...

chur

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Matt Jam Lamont and EZ started calling the beats "Grimey" on EZ's show on kiss. And grimey became a regularily used word to describe the music.

And that black stuff u get under ur nails is prevalent on most decks and mixers and microphones in every pirate radio studio or basement recording studio. It's quite a fitting description of the surroundings from whence the music came and is performed in contrast to the shiny new West End studios being used and the Luminar/First Leidure clubs being played in by the "old school" garage pioneers by that time.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
NORE's tune 'grimey' might've played a part - I remember it being on heavy rotation when grime mcs started saying things like 'it's grimey out here'

tryptych

waiting for a time
Matt Jam Lamont and EZ started calling the beats "Grimey" on EZ's show on kiss. And grimey became a regularily used word to describe the music.

They used it in a derogatory sense though, right? As in "we're not playing any of this grimey shit" or words to that effect - and then it was taken up as a positive tag by the nascent grime artists.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
spackb0y said:
They used it in a derogatory sense though, right? As in "we're not playing any of this grimey shit" or words to that effect - and then it was taken up as a positive tag by the nascent grime artists.

EZ didn't use it in a derogatory fashion, no. He was still playing a lot of the new beats on dub then. I am sure MJL was being tongue in cheek.

And it had nothing to do with the Nore or Dillinja tunes, or even the So Solid tune of the same name.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
I remember a load of journos writing garage record reviews pre-grime referring to 'UK Filth'.

I'm glad grime stuck instead of that...

nunc

∞
i forgot all about this thread
i was being a little ingenuous, having read simon reynold's review of the cold vein

As Sasha Frere-Jones quipped in these pages a while ago, El-P is something like the Steve Albini of hip-hop: fanatically opposed to major labels, addicted to noise. Extending the analogy a bit, you could imagine a few years down the line the emergence of a rap equivalent to grunge ("grime," maybe): underground in style and sound, but hooky and forceful enough to storm the barricades of Hot 97 and BET, thereby terminating the entire bling-bling era (hip-hop's equivalent to hair metal). And a few years after that, El-P will be drafted in—to render radio-unfriendly the postbreakthrough album In Wu-Tero by spearhead grime-rappers Gnosis . . .

so yeah, is that it?