john eden

male pale and stale
I've got Scorn's "Deliverance" single (which is more like a mini-LP). And their tracks on Isolationism and Macro Dub Infection. There are some great bits on it which I'd like to hear more of.

I like all the dubby, dark, weird ambient aspects.

But I'm a somewhat put off by:

a) The more "metally" aspects
b) The vocals

So.... any Scorn recommendations that avoid that sort of thing?

Anything else by him which I'll like? He seems to have used a bewildering array of project names.

jasonh

Given that you aren't fussed on the metal side of Scorn, the best place to start will probably be Ellipsis, which is the remix album they did with the likes of Laswell, Autechre and co.

My favourite of theirs is Evanescence, which manages to meld the dubby stuff with their earlier metal leanings to better effect than anywhere else. Plus, I am a lot of a metal head, and I love guitars...

After Evanescence the bassist/singer left, so it became a Mick Harris solo project. The first one released with the solo line-up, Gyral, is also pretty good and has no metallic influences (all dancey/dubby).

matt b

Indexing all opinion
john eden said:
oooh! Hark at him being all mysterious! :p

c'mon then!

i only said the story was more interesting than the record. i didn't say the story was of interest in itself ;)

matt b

Indexing all opinion
but anyway...

i lived with a band signed to earache.
earache were notorious for ripping their bands off (the band i knew didn't make a penny)
hence, in order to 'get paid' band members used to go to earache and steal what they could.
scorn record included.

you can now use that story to assess the quality of the scorn record ;)

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
jasonh said:
My favourite of theirs is Evanescence, which manages to meld the dubby stuff with their earlier metal leanings to better effect than anywhere else. Plus, I am a lot of a metal head, and I love guitars...

great record :)

john eden

male pale and stale
matt b said:
you can now use that story to assess the quality of the scorn record ;)

Well it would probably depend on the band concerned, I reckon. :D

If it was Napalm Death, Deicide or Godflesh, then quite interesting and scope for further revelations about their diligence in household chores.

If it was Sore Throat, Bolt Thrower, Carcass or Ultraviolence then less so.

If it was anyone else, then I'm probably not bovvered! ;)

Oh yeah - thanks to jasonh and subvert. :cool:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
john eden said:
If it was Napalm Death, Deicide or Godflesh...

how old do you think i am????? ;)

john eden said:
If it was anyone else, then I'm probably not bovvered! ;)

its not a very good story is it? sorry.

however, i did used to have a lot of earache records.

the band in question were named after a kung-fu film

john eden

male pale and stale
matt b said:
how old do you think i am????? ;)

I would've been even more interesting if you'd been toddling around in your nappies whilst Napalm Death were rehearsing the tracks to SCUM, methinks! :p

matt b

Indexing all opinion
john eden said:
I would've been even more interesting if you'd been toddling around in your nappies whilst Napalm Death were rehearsing the tracks to SCUM, methinks! :p

they were very caring parents, but did everything very quickly......

francesco

Minerva Estassi
john eden said:
I've got Scorn's "Deliverance" single (which is more like a mini-LP). And their tracks on Isolationism and Macro Dub Infection. There are some great bits on it which I'd like to hear more of.

I like all the dubby, dark, weird ambient aspects.

But I'm a somewhat put off by:

a) The more "metally" aspects
b) The vocals

So.... any Scorn recommendations that avoid that sort of thing?

Anything else by him which I'll like? He seems to have used a bewildering array of project names.

Well, really, the tracks you have are my favorite Scorn tracks and probably the only that you need, sorry. Best album by Scorn is the first "Vae Solis" which is very brutal metal but the guitarist is Justin Broadrick from Godflesh and here he plays godly, one of the best things he did. In that album the last track "Heavy Blood" is very heavy dub but the vocal almost ruin the song, wish was an instrumental. Then they lost the guitar and made "Colossus" (the track from MDI 1 is a remix from a track in here) which is almost all dub and ambient (in the "deliverance" style), but again, the vocals.... the third is more ambient dub and less heavy but again the vocals... then they lost the bass player, Bullen, and become irrivelant lite industrial dub made only by Harris. And Harris solo works or collaborative works are even worst of his pal Laswell '90 works (except "Murder Ballads (the first)" with the Eyless in Gaza singer (name?), but is not dub and all the merit are of the singer, not the lite industrial isolationis ambient background provided by Harris).

john eden

male pale and stale
EDIT - I meant hilarious in a good way!

In fact I might have to get it now.

Google has reminded me that it was called "Disgrace to the corpse of Sid" and had 90 tracks on side one.

I really hope it is as mad as I remember it. If it isn't it will still probably really annoy Paul Meme when he stays round my house next time.

Paul is my New Dad when it comes to playing obnoxious loud music (which isn't from Jamaica): "This is HORRIBLE, John! Why can't you like PROPER MUSIC?" :cool:

Not sure if Sore Throat is the same as Saw Throat, though? [oops, just read the start of that review!]

Last edited: