The End, End User, wicked mash-ups

zhao

there are no accidents
saw this thing at a going out of business local record-shop called "Bollywood Breaks" by Enduser, whose digi-D'n'B I've heard before, and took a chance...

jesus fuck. if there was a hook this shit would not be on it. bollywood vocals and flutes riding dense waves of menacing breaks, somewhere between the post-DB and classic jungle sound. only 6 tracks, with 1 being weak, but the other 5 are all killer.

reminded me of this track by The End which is basically his remix of a Ballinese Gamelan piece, 8 or more minutes long, traversing all kinds of shadowy corridors, patient build-ups, sudden drops, and on-point stop'n'go dynamics - alternating between a-ca-pella ringing Gamelan bells, dark drones, and crisp new-jungle beats.

I guess it's somewhere between mash-up and remix, but this sort of thing is very exciting to me. anyone else feeling it?

and there has to be more in a similar vein, any recommendations?

Last edited:

ripley

welcome to breakcore! at least one of the strains of it I really like (the blurred line between mashup and remix)

(so yeah there's tons of hoo-hah about there being a genre called breakcore and what it means, muchlike the grime/dubstep debates, but i consider it a network of people and sounds and enduser is definitely representative.)

not sure though which aspect of it you are looking to seek out.. the bollywood-sampling side? the dark jungly side? more or less ragga vocals? serious or goofy? I can make some recommendations but everyone takes it in a slightly different direction, so I wouldn't want to steer you wrongly.

Maybe some newer stuff on Peace Off might interest you .. or some Aaron Spectre/Drumcorps.. or Aphasic.. or you could check out anything on Junk records, there might be at least one track per EP you'd like (dunno what else is to your taste, I like pretty much everything on there but some of it is bouncier and goofier). I can think of a couple of pretty epic Society Suckers tracks. I think the best of /rupture's mixes are up there with anyone's 'original' productions, you should if you haven't check out "Gold Teeth Thief."
Actually both his and Mutamassik's mixes for the "Shotgun Wedding" series on Violent Turd (called "the Bidoun Sessions" I think) would give you a good swathe of sounds you might like.

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
there's a CD i have that is bollywood stuff remixed by cut chemist, dj shadow, steinski and a couple of others, i don't have it to here at the moment so i can't check the name of it for you though, it fairly good, a few really great tracks, the rest is ok.

mms

sometimes
i was a bit dissapointed by this enduser record but the idea is good - bong ra's god of hellfire which brings back the spirit of the prodigy was good too,
that mutamassik record is great, i was listening to it the other day thinking it makes alot more sense from when i first got her 12" on ruptures label , its a great lp - hope to hear more from her.
my recommendation of other labels worth checking are planet mu for some stuff, junk, amex, Adaadat, ad noiseam, then there is stuff like cock rock disco and wrong music which is a bit sillier.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
ripley said:
not sure though which aspect of it you are looking to seek out.. the bollywood-sampling side? the dark jungly side? more or less ragga vocals? serious or goofy?

rupture's mixes

Actually both his and Mutamassik's mixes for the "Shotgun Wedding" series on Violent Turd (called "the Bidoun Sessions"

what interests me the most is the combination of what that pitchfork reviewer (thanks Tate) aptly termed "real, traditional beauty" and break-core or whateveryouwannacallit.

definitely "serious". no patience for goofy shit.

does that narrow down a little bit from all the things you could recommend?

yeah I'm down with rupture and mutamassik. have tried to order Bedoun Sessions from Turd, but they were out of stock just like everyone else at the time I checked.

oerdering the following right now:

Definitive Works - Mutamassik

Calling the Vultures - Enduser

ripley

I think Dj C's "Gone a Jail" has significant "traditional beauty" - actual several on the Mashit label fit that idea..

His earlier stuff under the name Electro Organic Sound System might also be to your taste.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
that bollywood breaks EP is great, production is fairly dirty but in a good way. I had a similar feeling when i 1st heard it. Like WoW,

question: who else does fucked up bollywood stuff?

His new Caustic Pulse on Damage catches him in fine form too.

zhao

there are no accidents
wonk_vitesse said:
question: who else does fucked up bollywood stuff?

yeah bollywood is a more inspired choice than enja for this type break-mash workout, but the tracks with enja are... not bad either :eek:

can't think of anything.

a lot of modern indian artists need to get with the 21st century beats and
production ideas. maybe I don't have access to the new crop but I hear too much cheesy rave or outdated breakbeats in much Bhangra and Hindi Remix.

not fucked up at all but Bombay the Hardway still sounds nice today as far as triphop lounge is concerned.

speaking of outdated, has anyone heard the Avant Gardism stuff from early 90s? the proto-drill'n'bass meets tabla? seems like that's an area ready for growth.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
that peace off tour is gonna be great, they're coming to the redstar, camberwell now run by Unsound, propa ruff'n'ready vibe. The rig seems to take up half the bar :D

zhao

there are no accidents
minikomi said:
must put in my 2 cents here but... cardopusher, peaceoffs latest uncovering from venezuela, is seriously bending my mind at the moment. http://peaceoff.c8.com/tnrtour/

I like this better than the first track you posted. really really nice actually. thanks.

no info about the tour on peaceoff site...

mister matthew

after having read so much good stuff about it i was a little underwhelmed by that bollywood breaks 12", i thought it sounded like a lot of other breakcore records but with bollywood samples over the top instead of ragga ones or whatever.

mms

sometimes
mister matthew said:
after having read so much good stuff about it i was a little underwhelmed by that bollywood breaks 12", i thought it sounded like a lot of other breakcore records but with bollywood samples over the top instead of ragga ones or whatever.

yes that's all it is really - alot of this stuff just appropriates as textures...

the new drop the lime long ep on tigerbeat is an interesting one, mixing punky vocals with grime issh bass, madly emotivley programmed drums etc ..
decent attempt to do something meaningful.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
good breakcore:

enduser, aaron spectre, drop the lime (maybe not even breakcore anymore, but dope, see above). I like that Enduser bollywood tune a lot and in general he's doing it pretty well. Aaron Spectre is here in Berlin and doing raggacore jungle breakcore whatever, also really well. He's definitely hitting a very focused spot right now, and his live PA is pretty excellent as well. Drop The Lime is adding in more punk singing and grime/dubstep vibes so he's starting to push outside of the breakcore envelope a bit but he definitely did do some clattering edit storm breakcore records a year or two ago, which are sick.