PDA

View Full Version : what ails you?

infinite thought
07-02-2006, 03:58 PM
without being morbid or anything, I'm quite intrigued as to what (if any) annoying physical problems Dissensians have to live with and how they deal with them.

Personally I have a totally ruined right ear (it looks ok from the outside tho), as a result of lots of infections and an operation to replace my eardrum. Hearing is subsequently quite poor and I have a strange metallic taste on the right-side of my mouth which gets worse if I touch my ear. On the plus side, noise gigs are strangely calming.

So, what ails you? The more disgusting the better...

owen
07-02-2006, 06:34 PM
The more disgusting the better
happy to oblige!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crohn%27s

which is fucking annoying, frankly, though since being diagnosed I haven't had any 'accidents', and a chronic disease that is made better by drinking Yakult can't be all bad.

the most fun thing about it is that one gets so used to regularly discussing one's bowels as a matter of course that one frequently does so eg on buses, and people sometimes look askance. that and having an intimate knowledge of nearly all the public toilets in london rare in a heterosexual

infinite thought
07-02-2006, 06:56 PM
tee hee to the hetero-toilets knowledge...

I suppose what I'm interested in (not like THAT interested, it's not a weird thing, honest, honest) is the unintended existential side-effects of illnesses like my enjoyment of noise gigs, owen's knowledge of toilet-location, etc.

Just after I got my ear-drum all renewed, and the metallic taste turned up I thought 'this is cool, this must be what robots would taste if they had artificial tongues'. But now it's just annoying and reduces the taste of food.

Another benefit, though, (especially when I used to live above a late-night Turkish dancehall) is the ability to lie on one side with the good ear down...thus ensuring a relatively quiet night's sleep (the vibrations you can't do much about tho).

martin
08-02-2006, 06:56 AM
Not really an ailment, but I get double vision in my right eye and the eyelid's wonky as a result of being kicked in once. If I look upwards to the right, everything splits into two, and then into 4 - a bit like that old 70s hexagonal 'Top of the Pops' special effect. Side effect? I'm probably lethal on a motorbike

And I was born with a 3rd nipple, though that doesn't really grieve me

john eden
08-02-2006, 10:29 AM
I have shit co-ordination.

It's because one of my eyes is weaker than the other, so I don't have proper binocular vision. Apparenly this means everything is "flatter" for me. You are welcome to simulate this by closing one eye and then trying to catch something.

It meant I was always one of the last people to be picked for football teams (mind you, everyone says that now, don't they?).

I also used hay fever as an excuse to spend most summers of my youth indoors, tho I don't get that nearly as bad these days.

These two factors combined to make me the towering inferno of trainspotterish resentment you see before you today, your honour.

mms
08-02-2006, 12:02 PM
i've got an ayrhythmic heart beat
it adds extra beats to catch up.

droid
08-02-2006, 12:35 PM
http://www.aeromed.hu/krk/kep/aibo.jpg

infinite thought
08-02-2006, 12:41 PM
fabulous! I want more!

what about scars? scars are great. I have a fairly noticeable one on my forehead (which allegedly gets more obvious when I've been drinking, whatever that means) from jumping into a metal fireplace strut when I was four, shortly after my mother had promised to take me and my brother to the circus. I really like it.

Rambler
08-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Well, since you ask:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cystic_fibrosis

Plus sides? Well, I'll never get fat, for one. And there's the fun of having your bag, full of nebuliser pumps, glass phials, pills and syringes searched at the airport, and victoriously pulling out a multilingual explanatory letter from your consultant, "Ha, I don't need your security checks!"

Beating people who should be way fitter than me up stairs/onto the bus/etc. Can turn you into a smug git though. See also, being the only person not to cough in a concert hall/theatre etc.

There's also the acute awareness of time, and how you might be wasting it. It's a good motivator.

And good-looking physiotherapists, of course. :)

Lichen
08-02-2006, 02:08 PM
I am astigmatic (very crooked cornea, not bleeding palms). I found out in my mid-20's; I put my hand over my right eye and couldn'r read any of the ads on the other side of the tube tracks. When I got glasses I had the horrid experience of seeing myself and everyone around me in focus for the first time in my life. I still prefer soft focus and only wear glasses for safety reasons and for viewing distant media.

I also have a hideously mutated big toe nail that grows to form a rank, mushroom coloured talon. It was casued by kicking a barrier on the Northern Line. It will not yield to domestic equipment. I either have it machine-filed by a chiropodist or work on it with garden tools.

nomos
08-02-2006, 03:21 PM
I've been battling hypochondria for years. Also chronic hyperventilation. Not the smelling-my-lunch/paper-bag type, but habitually breathing in too much and out tool little. It sounds like nothing but it causes sleep and digestive problems as well as muscle tension.

Chronic headaches since I was little, sometime for weeks at a time, until I started seeing a chiropracter a couple of years ago.

Also minor things like astigmatism and a bad ear from standing beside the same speaker stack at a punk club week in and week out as a teenager. If I'm in loud circumstances and someone speaks loudly into that ear it turns into a painfully shrill warble.

My dad was nearly done in by a heart attack brought on by an ulcer combined with idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis (http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/000192.htm), which is congenital but I've shown no signs yet. The doctors said he'd be in a textbook one day.

nomos
08-02-2006, 03:26 PM
what about scars?
physical: bone spur above my right eye from the fat end of a flying baseball bat when i was 9. i had a concussion.

emotional: also, PTSD for a period after a massive car wreck. end-over-end a dozen times through a ditch at 90 km/h, according to witnesses. i was briefly amnesiac.

Freakaholic
08-02-2006, 03:45 PM
I broke my back about 8 years ago, stupidly thinking i was still a kid and the tops of trees could hold me up. Fell three stories into some mud (thankfully) and had a stresss fracture in 3 vertebrae.

The lasting problems: The brace made my back muscles very weak, and for years standing for longer than 5 minutes hurt. I developed bad headaches, muscle aches, and felt that it added to my developing a more "sketchy" or tense attitude.

Noadays, I work out and sit in the sauna to relax teh muscles afterwords. That coupled with this little invention have made life not only bearable, but optimistic.

http://www.theracane.com/

If you have back trouble at all, or jsut feel tense sometimes, it is worth every penny.

dHarry
08-02-2006, 05:00 PM
http://www.theracane.com/

If you have back trouble at all, or jsut feel tense sometimes, it is worth every penny.

does having a mullet enhance its effectiveness?
http://www.theracane.com/images/canepose2.gif ;)

but seriously, is it just a plastic curved thing with knobs that press into the muscles? any moving parts? it sounds great, just the thing for my permanently tense and aching lower and middle back, shoulder-blades and neck, given that I can't afford daily massage+osteopathy.

Freakaholic
08-02-2006, 05:13 PM
does having a mullet enhance its effectiveness?

but seriously, is it just a plastic curved thing with knobs that press into the muscles? any moving parts? it sounds great, just the thing for my permanently tense and aching lower and middle back, shoulder-blades and neck, given that I can't afford daily massage+osteopathy.

its exactly just a curved plastic thing.... it suppose to be specifically designed for yer back and whatnot, to not be able to hurt yerself, etc. but to me, its just like having a professional masseuse that you dont have to tell where the knots are, since they already know.

owen
08-02-2006, 08:43 PM
i had to ingest nothing but water and these

http://www.nutricia.at/Pictures/elemental_028.jpg

for 10 days last month, which was a curious experience indeed- the best thing by far though was having an entirely free and prescribed diet, and it was terribly functionalist and futuristic- would have been useful if i were in a spaceship, as opposed to a south london bedsit (and getting to drink it in the NFT without incurring the usual wrath about food and drink...)

martin
08-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Oh. I feel quite humbled now by all these people with real ailments

hay fever

Then again...

john eden
09-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Then again...

Oooh! Get you, Mr Scaramanga!

infinite thought
09-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Right. Now you have to scan those bits of you in proper show 'n' tell stylee (people with proper illnesses obviously exempt).

Martin, I want your third nipple by 3 pm, Eden your flat eye by 3.30, Lichen's toenail by 4pm and automaticforthepeople's amnesia by...er...when...?

Owen, you can leave your bowels alone and Freakaholic can carry on playing with his bendy stick.

Class of sick Dissensians 2006 dismissed....

droid
09-02-2006, 11:50 AM
LOL... Thanks a lot! My snorting-tea-on-the-keyboard-guffawing antics at that last post now has the whole office viewing me with wary suspicion! :mad:

BTW - I thought I had some health problems before reading this thread, but now Im not so sure... Get well soon people! (those of you who can get well that is...)

martin
09-02-2006, 12:28 PM
I'm not showing it off on a forum! People used to get burnt at the stake for one of these just a couple of hundred years ago

infinite thought
09-02-2006, 12:35 PM
only if they were girlies....you'd have probably gotten the gift of a goblet from the king. Or something. I assumed you were making it up anyway...boys' nipples are just the most pointless things ever anyway - trust you to have an added dose of pointlessness! Humans are the most maladapted animal....

There was a kid at my school who had two extra thumbs, but he got them removed. I always though that was silly - just think of the piano career he could have had. As it was he ended up playing trombone, which frankly someone with no fingers at all could play. Pah.

martin
09-02-2006, 12:46 PM
No lie, but it's tiny, my sister's got a third one in the same place too. There is actually a very good point to males having them, which I suspect you'd know if you'd pursued a degree in biology, instead of stuffing your loaf with the demented scribblings of 'thinkers' whose theories can only lead to discontent and dissatisfaction with one's lot! It's because, in the bronze age, we used them to catch fish

john eden
09-02-2006, 12:52 PM
It's because, in the bronze age, we used them to catch fish

Indeed - this is still the favoured method in some parts of Northamptonshire.

infinite thought
09-02-2006, 01:06 PM
http://www.pitts.emory.edu/woodcuts/1712BiblA/00002447.jpg

Martin's patented 'third-nipple fishin' technique eventually let him down.

bruno
08-03-2006, 08:14 PM
i have chronic bronchitis. my lungs are destroyed.

dsp13
10-03-2006, 04:48 AM
I have a mild "tremor"...(shakey man) most of the time it's unnoticable but it is agravated by caffeine, nicotine, lack of sleep, lack of food etc so if I drink loads of coffee and or chainsmoke I shake like a junkie or an alcoholic going through withdrawals... can be quite embarrasing around the office or trying to carry a cup of coffee to the table at a cafe after a big night on the piss... positive side effects? I'm good at doing fast micro scratches on a turntable? no..just made that one up :mad:

IdleRich
10-03-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm absolutely fine but reading the stuff above reminds me that I have a friend who developed a strange growth on top of his (bald) head. When he went to the doctor they told him that it was the same material as a nipple, that basically he had grown a nipple on his head. They cut it off but he still has a scar.

IdleRich
10-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Having said that I'm fine...
I play in a football team and one of the guys sent an email round with the lineup for the next game but everyone listed with joke names. He'd put me down as "Twitch" and when I asked him why he quickly sent an email back going "sorry mate, that was out of order". What was out of order? "Taking the mickey out of your twitch". So maybe there is something wrong with me that I didn't even know about.

droid
10-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Been wondering if I should mention that for a while now... :D

Freakaholic
10-03-2006, 03:03 PM
"Taking the mickey out of your twitch".

Im sorry, but I am completely confused as to what this means.

gabriel
20-03-2006, 03:31 PM
taking the mickey = poking fun at = making fun of = teasing (sbdy) about (sthg)

craner
12-05-2006, 09:15 AM
Fucking hell! I just found out that my blood pressure is 141 / 95 which is HIGH!!

This means I have to give up all the things I like or have a stroke.

bruno
12-05-2006, 09:24 AM
but you could also give up everything you like and get run over by a car or whatever. enjoy that bacon while you can oliver!

craner
12-05-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm only 28. What'll it be like when I'm 48? If I make it.

This is bad fucking news. I'm hypertense!!!

luka
12-05-2006, 10:04 AM
thats what happens when you spurn exercise and cannabis.

craner
12-05-2006, 10:19 AM
You're right. I can't believe you live a healithier life than me.

IdleRich
12-05-2006, 10:21 AM
"thats what happens when you spurn exercise"
Very sympathetic. You're gonna feel bad if he dies.

luka
12-05-2006, 10:28 AM
no i won't, i'll say
'i told you so'

craner
12-05-2006, 10:31 AM
what???? you think I'm about to die???

IdleRich
12-05-2006, 10:37 AM
"no i won't, i'll say 'i told you so'"
To a corpse?

"what???? you think I'm about to die???"
Not necessarily, just saying.
Anyway, I wouldn't worry, the Iranians probably fixed the test results.

luka
12-05-2006, 10:38 AM
to a corpse? sure, imagine how smug i'll feel.

infinite thought
12-05-2006, 10:46 AM
well, I'm sorry to hear that, oliver. I'm sure you're fine - aren't these things more like genetic predispositions anyway? I mean you might need to take up yoga or something, and flick through Vogue less often (ahem) but it'll be ok.

I hadn't realised you were only a year old than me - in my mind you occupy the role of 'proper person'!

jenks
12-05-2006, 02:08 PM
see what happens when you spurn the curry sauce?

zhao
15-05-2006, 10:43 PM
I went on a juice fast for 45 days last year. no solids, only vegetable and fruit juices, mixed with a little herbal powder. for 1.5 months I had unmistakably higher than normal energy levels, ability to focus and concentrate, and did not need to sleep as much.

point being: food is a drug and an addiction. we are addicted to the pacifying chemicals our brains produce in reaction to all food (not only fatty foods), and we are addicted to the emotional satisfaction of eating.

what our bodies need (minerals and vitamins and a tiny amount of protean) are not found in 99% of the food we eat, which are instead filled with things which slow us down, give us health problems, cause deadly diseases, but taste good.

thus food can be convincingly argued as a much worse addiction than any kind of narcotic - number of users, and lack of awareness of its side effects - fatigue, bowel problems, colon cancer, pre-mature aging, etc - and taking these symptoms for granted, as "natural".

infinite thought
15-05-2006, 11:03 PM
bowl problems
I think I have one of these - I never manage to do the washing up in time before I run out of receptacles for my cereal.

nomos
16-05-2006, 12:13 AM
I've had wave after wave of hypochondria lately. Diabetes, unnoticed stroke, cancer, blood poisoning, cardiac arrhythmia. It's nearly done me in a few times, I think.

zhao
16-05-2006, 02:21 AM
I think I have one of these - I never manage to do the washing up in time before I run out of receptacles for my cereal.

the trick is to wash up right after a meal

IdleRich
16-05-2006, 08:15 AM
"point being: food is a drug and an addiction"

"I had unmistakably higher than normal energy levels, ability to focus and concentrate, and did not need to sleep as much."
If this is the case then why did you cease your juice diet after just 45 days?

owen
16-05-2006, 02:12 PM
well, i had a no-solids diet for 10 days (for actual medical reasons as opposed to on a whim) and felt dreadful, but i may lack the power of positive thinking that confucius has such an abundance of. did homo erectus have a juice diet as well?

fldsfslmn
17-05-2006, 05:29 AM
I've had wave after wave of hypochondria lately. Diabetes, unnoticed stroke, cancer, blood poisoning, cardiac arrhythmia. It's nearly done me in a few times, I think.

Ah man, I hear you. Lately I have been concerned about malfunctioning thyroid, Gardner's Syndrome (?!), and asbestosis. (Asbestosis is a huge one right now. One of my co-workers disturbed a ceiling tile this morning and I couldn't really handle it, despite no indication the building has asbestos at all.)

Hypochondria is really only a symptom of generalized anxiety, I think, not itself a distinct condition. (Or at least that's how I try to keep it at bay.)

adam
23-05-2006, 11:34 PM
I also have crohn's and Owen's words seem horribly familiar to me. I think it's gone a bit quiet now but for a while I couldn't eat a bite without my stomach exploding with pain. And then there's all the other fun stuff associated with that condition.

On top of all that, I'm having a hip replacement in September. I'm 27 years old!

zhao
24-05-2006, 12:08 AM
If this is the case then why did you cease your juice diet after just 45 days?

because I still love the pleasure of food, the culture, and the social dimension.

also while for 45 days there was a surge of energy, I'm not entirely sure that it's advisable to juice indefinitely. I did lose a lot of weight (all fat - the herbal supplements I took have protein in it), roughly 30 lbs in 45 days, and I did not want to or need to lose more weight.

I resumed eating but what I eat, how I eat, how often I eat, as well as my relationship to food has completely changed as a result of the fast.

1. I gave up all meat (sea food excepted)

2. I now fast for a week or 3 every couple of months

3. I often skip dinner, and just have a vegetable juice - keeps energy levels up.

4. I no longer feel completely emotionally dependent on food - compared to before. the psychological difference is huge.

zhao
24-05-2006, 12:23 AM
well, i had a no-solids diet for 10 days (for actual medical reasons as opposed to on a whim) and felt dreadful, but i may lack the power of positive thinking that confucius has such an abundance of. did homo erectus have a juice diet as well?

there might be many causes - the "medical reasons" may very well be some of them - for you to have felt "dreadful" during your fast: not enough fresh juices, not enough electro-lyte concentrated water, not enough protein (but our body actually need very little of protein - less than 2 grams a day)

diseases such as cancer did not exist before civilization (roughly 10,000 years ago) precisely because our diet before then consisted of 5000 kinds of fresh plants.

______

I used to be a heavy drug user, ate whatever I wanted - meat for every meal - whenever I wanted - giant cheese-burgers at 4 Am all drunk and high - and made fun of all this New Age health shit RELENTLESSLY .

I had some minor intestinal problems (at the time thought I was dying), and started learning about all this stuff - now I know better.

the self destructive and wanton hedonistic aspect of the sub-cultural, anti-establishment lifestyle, which I know all too well, I now realize is just STUPID. and fits right into the falling asleep / drugged out / apathetic / consumerist cycle.

johneffay
24-05-2006, 07:24 AM
diseases such as cancer did not exist before civilization (roughly 10,000 years ago) precisely because our diet before then consisted of 5000 kinds of fresh plants.

Yes they did. As I pointed out in another thread, the fossil record shows that dinosaurs used to get cancer. Things like the Paleolithic Diet are nonsense. The reaon that not many Paleolithic people died of cancer is because there were lots of other things to kill them first.

I used to be a heavy drug user, ate whatever I wanted - meat for every meal - whenever I wanted - giant cheese-burgers at 4 Am all drunk and high - and made fun of all this New Age health shit RELENTLESSLY .

If this is the case, then surely any improvment in such a diet would make you feel better? Have you tried eating what mainstream nutritionists would label a healthy balanced diet and seeing how you felt then?

Grievous Angel
24-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Confucius' use of diet sounds like it was done sensibly and with good results. I've heard a lot of people say that occasional jiuce diets and intermittent fasting gives them huge energy. It's not hard to see why.

Anyway, for the last week, I've been convinced I have mouth cancer - a hangover from smoking - but the ulcer's gone away now. So now I'm onto incipient heart disease. It's just relentless.

:p

owen
24-05-2006, 05:42 PM
there might be many causes - the "medical reasons" may very well be some of them - for you to have felt "dreadful" during your fast: not enough fresh juices, not enough electro-lyte concentrated water, not enough protein (but our body actually need very little of protein - less than 2 grams a day)

it wasn't a 'fast', it was to avert stuff going into my ulcerated and fucked up lower intestine. read the thread before posting, eh?

______

I used to be a heavy drug user

surely not

i'm so glad you're not 'emotionally dependent' on food though, old chap

zhao
24-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Owen, where does your antagonism to what I'm saying come from? what is all this "california uber alles" and sneering - are you implying that I'm some sort of fascist? because I'm sharing a few experiences with the board which were enlightening as well as life saving?

do you think it's silly or a mistake to want to be healthy? to talk about ways to avoid disease?

edit:

if you have lower intestinal problems, so much the more you should learn about the things I'm talking about. why you are not finding out as much as you can about natural healing an herbal diets and vegetarianism is unfathomable. if you can avoid operations in the future why wouldn't you learn about what steps to take? and instead you are here making fun of me for talking about it???

Bacon Slicer
24-05-2006, 10:05 PM
It would take far too much bandwith to give you a description of all my medical problems. :eek:

zhao
25-05-2006, 11:36 PM
It would take far too much bandwith to give you a description of all my medical problems. :eek:

well if the screen name is a reference to your kind of diet...

Bacon Slicer
26-05-2006, 05:41 PM
well if the screen name is a reference to your kind of diet...

My screen name, perversely has nothing to do with food.

jenks
06-06-2006, 03:50 PM
What currently ails me is a broken knee cap sustained at work where i slipped on some juice on a lino floor whilst carrying a box of books - 24 hrs on and i am still in a rage - i have a vile blue leg brace and two crutches and i've been told i won't be able to ride a bike for 12 weeks - the whole fucking summer!!!! :mad:

zhao
06-06-2006, 05:52 PM
What currently ails me is a broken knee cap sustained at work where i slipped on some juice on a lino floor whilst carrying a box of books - 24 hrs on and i am still in a rage - i have a vile blue leg brace and two crutches and i've been told i won't be able to ride a bike for 12 weeks - the whole fucking summer!!!! :mad:

how is the worker's compensation thing work in England? if that happened in the US from what I understand you could be set for a while, financially that is, if you played your cards right

jenks
06-06-2006, 06:58 PM
how is the worker's compensation thing work in England? if that happened in the US from what I understand you could be set for a while, financially that is, if you played your cards right

i shall be contacting my union but as i work in a school i'm not holding out much hope :(

jenks
08-06-2006, 01:17 PM
I am now in a bizarre hinged fibre glass cast from hip to toe unable to move my knee at all and encased for the next 6 weeks- it all sounded so much sexier in Ballard.

IdleRich
08-06-2006, 01:20 PM
Sorry to hear about this, it sounds horrible.

jenks
08-06-2006, 01:25 PM
thanks - it sounds worse than it is - i can see the boredom being worse than the injury!!

(finished pattern recognition btw and will post on it when i am more lucid)

Grievous Angel
08-06-2006, 01:35 PM
fuck, Jenks, that sounds awful, comiserations!

Any soft tissue damage?

jenks
08-06-2006, 01:41 PM
fortunately just bone - a pretty clean break - thankful for small mercies i suppose.

matt b
08-06-2006, 01:44 PM
What currently ails me is a broken knee cap

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

Rambler
08-06-2006, 01:44 PM
The things some people will do to secure a month off for the World Cup...

Hope it gets better soon.

IdleRich
08-06-2006, 02:03 PM
"(finished pattern recognition btw and will post on it when i am more lucid)"
I've barely started (fifty pages) the Henry Green thing because I've been out every night since I got it. I'm going to my parents' for the weekend though which will involve lots of relaxing and a two hour bus journey there and back so I should make some headway.

jenks
08-06-2006, 03:48 PM
The things some people will do to secure a month off for the World Cup...

Hope it gets better soon.

thanks for that - i dreamed about the idea of having weeks off work and now that it has happened i already miss it. kpunk would probably riff on about me being in thrall to kapital or summat but i think it's simply the people - i wonder how people cope with not working with others - must quite a few here who plough a lonely furrow?

craner
09-06-2006, 02:46 PM
So my blood tests came back "slightly abnormal" according to my blunt GP receptionist, but not for anything I expected (high cholestoral, low glucose), but because I have a high level of hemoglobin. Too many red blood cells sloshing around. What does that mean, though? Now how am I dying?

bassnation
09-06-2006, 02:51 PM
thanks - it sounds worse than it is - i can see the boredom being worse than the injury!!

(finished pattern recognition btw and will post on it when i am more lucid)

funny you should mention knee injuries, mine is not as bad as yours but i felt something shift in my right knee cap when I kneeled down to plug something in. its been excruciatingly painful for a week now. i'm fine standing up but sitting and walking downstairs is agony. haven't been to the doctors yet but someone told me it might be a ligament problem. i put it down to sitting with my legs tucked under me when i am working.

Jezmi
09-06-2006, 03:14 PM
So my blood tests came back "slightly abnormal" according to my blunt GP receptionist, but not for anything I expected (high cholestoral, low glucose), but because I have a high level of hemoglobin. Too many red blood cells sloshing around. What does that mean, though? Now how am I dying?

It means that you can compete in marathons.
Or if you don't feel like doing that, you could sell your blood to professional cyclists. They do bloodtransfusions before and after the races. The extra red bloodcells give the athletes a higher of oxygen supply to their muscles.

jenks
27-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Not so much me as one of my sons

Last night we discovered that he is allergic to nuts

We discovered this the hard way - anaphalactic reaction involving massively swollen lips, constriction of the throat, rash etc.

Took him to the local hospital, excellent service, piriton injection, steroids etc.

Just wondered if anyone on here had much experience of this.

Lichen
27-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Only via a friend who developed a nut allergy in her early 30's. She carries a syringe at all times .

If it comes, I wonder whether it also goes?

bruno
28-07-2006, 03:48 AM
Not so much me as one of my sons

Last night we discovered that he is allergic to nuts

We discovered this the hard way - anaphalactic reaction involving massively swollen lips, constriction of the throat, rash etc.

Took him to the local hospital, excellent service, piriton injection, steroids etc.

Just wondered if anyone on here had much experience of this.

roughly the same thing happened to me last year, in my case a drug allergy, very nasty. first my arms and back, then my face and eventually my entire body. after the swelling had reached its peak i began to itch all over, it was a nightmare.

you do become more sensitive to things for a while. the allergies i had as a boy, which i had undergone treatment for came back in full in the aftermath. and i was left with marks where the rash manifested first, my back is a map. but you slowly desensitise, things return to normal.

i hope things turn out well for your son.

gek-opel
29-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Horrendous Tinnitus-like symptoms leading to distorting audio, bizarre over-sensitivity to certain fequencies in the environment especially human speech ("STOP SHOUTING!") and extreme disorientation. Bugger.

bruno
29-10-2006, 07:57 PM
ah, terrible, gek. i had a high pitched sound in my ear once, supposedly a sign that you're going mad! i probably was, come to think of it.

gek-opel
29-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Yeah tis pretty shit, weirdly the audio problems lead to a kind of visual disorientation, even though the vision is really ok. I don't think I'm going mad though!

mms
29-10-2006, 09:37 PM
roughly the same thing happened to me last year, in my case a drug allergy, very nasty. first my arms and back, then my face and eventually my entire body. after the swelling had reached its peak i began to itch all over, it was a nightmare.

you do become more sensitive to things for a while. the allergies i had as a boy, which i had undergone treatment for came back in full in the aftermath. and i was left with marks where the rash manifested first, my back is a map. but you slowly desensitise, things return to normal.

i hope things turn out well for your son.

i get a very similar thing with vodka, the skin on my face swells up and goes purple. rash on neck on chest,my throat and hands etc, it's only cheap vodka tho so it must be something in it, i never bother even trying to drink the stuff anymore though.
takes hours of sitting down drinking water then trying to sleep it off for it to go.

bruno
29-10-2006, 10:22 PM
that sounds nasty. wasn't there a mass intoxication through dodgy vodka a couple of days ago, in russia i think.

incidentally i had a vodka tonic at my cousin's wedding yesterday and it really made my head spin, clearly i can't drink anymore! probably for the best.

mms
30-10-2006, 12:57 PM
that sounds nasty. wasn't there a mass intoxication through dodgy vodka a couple of days ago, in russia i think.

incidentally i had a vodka tonic at my cousin's wedding yesterday and it really made my head spin, clearly i can't drink anymore! probably for the best.

yes i get more and more allergic to alcohol the older i get i think, what used to be ok now has loads of nasty side effects let alone massive hangovers, beer really fucks up my belly, but vodka is clearly a total no-no.

gek-opel
30-10-2006, 08:56 PM
All alcohol now leads to next day acid reflux-doom, shooting pains across my chest! Best to book the hangover for a day when lying in all day is possible...

bruno
31-10-2006, 12:05 AM
yes, we're pathetic. oh, and at that wedding i sat next to a girl who boasted she didn't have hangovers at all, fresh as a daisy every time, the little angel. what she doesen't know is that ten years from now her skin will be fucked up and her internal organs destroyed whereas i will be in a wheelchair sipping tonic water with a smile on my face!

craner
16-02-2007, 06:13 PM
I have stye! Will my eye fall out? Please tell me, I'm terrified.

mistersloane
16-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I have stye! Will my eye fall out? Please tell me, I'm terrified.

No it won't Oliver! It's just a spot that you get in your eye. If you take the anitbiotic drop/cream it will go away in a couple of days. If you don't take the antibiotic cream, it will go away in a couple of days as well. You'll be just fine, though it's hard to pick up people for sex when you got one, so I'd leave that out til it heals.

craner
16-02-2007, 06:24 PM
though it's hard to pick up people for sex when you got one

That is actually very inconvenient right now.

I guess it could be worse though. Thank you!

mistersloane
16-02-2007, 06:30 PM
though it's hard to pick up people for sex when you got one

That is actually very inconvenient right now.

I guess it could be worse though. Thank you!

An eye patch is always a good look.

craner
16-02-2007, 06:31 PM
While we're here again, can I say that this:

1. I gave up all meat (sea food excepted)

2. I now fast for a week or 3 every couple of months

3. I often skip dinner, and just have a vegetable juice - keeps energy levels up.

4. I no longer feel completely emotionally dependent on food - compared to before. the psychological difference is huge.

sounds like Hell.

arcaNa
19-02-2007, 04:26 PM
:
I'm suffering from Hyperacusis, a kind of acute oversensitivity to sound- now slightly more manageable through years of gradual hearing loss and the onset of tinnitus...*

And I'm actually allergic to electricity- which gives all sorts of odd side effects, from synaesthesia to actual physical buzzing/jolts la Poltergeist...

Unfortunately, none of my other senses followed suit... :slanted:

Interestingly, problems in processing sensory information seems to be a feature of autistic spectrum disorders (the lack of proper "filters" sorting the important bits from the random bits, causing sensory information overload- Perhaps a whiff of Asbergers would explain more than just a little bit of my erratic experiences over the years,lol!
...Although *that* fashionable diagnosis seem to get tagged almost uncritically to everyone and his grandmother nowadays, making me a bit suspicious about the use of it all, there seems to be a worrying trend of overdiagnostisation at the moment-

IMO most psychiatric diagnoses serves more as convenient selling point/propaganda for the medicine industry, who wants to push their nice little pills, than actually bettering treatments or helping people's health at all-

I mean, one of the GP's who tried to get me on medication had her office filled with pens, pads, stickers and whatnot boasting sympathetic ads for the very same product she wanted me to trust... (!) I daren't think of all the sponsored holidays, seminaries, spa weekends and treats they'd bribed her with that I *didn't* find out about... Although I doubted her integrity on the issue, and told her as much- Resulting in outraged frowns and a note to her successor labelling me as "difficult" and "argumentative"... :rolleyes: Yeah, sure, baby- Get me a free towel while you're at it, eh? Sigh... :mad:

(*although as a D.I.Y. "musician" I feel I've actually *benefited* from it, being able to remember/hear levels of sound apparently near inaudible to others, and having a sometimes bothersome memory/awareness of musical structures, although not formally trained- Ze parents early discovered i had musicality but didn't have the money for lessons- The only way to write things down is to use electronic equipment, and invent tracks from scratch... Use the gear to create the soundscapes without worrying too much about notes or chords, would've been nice to get a working knowledge of those things eventually, though!)

zhao
19-02-2007, 11:22 PM
sounds like Hell.

if hell is healthy, feels energetic, looks great, and gets chicks :cool:

nomos
20-02-2007, 02:50 AM
eye strain is ailing me like a ***** :mad: i dream of cucumber slices and valium laced eyedrops.

mistersloane
20-02-2007, 03:39 AM
eye strain is ailing me like a ***** :mad: i dream of cucumber slices and valium laced eyedrops.

I wear contacts, but for prolonged computer stuff use glasses with darkened lenses, it takes off the glare and also gives a distance between oneself and the computer, I'd recommend it.

nomos
20-02-2007, 04:16 AM
^^ that's a good idea

borderpolice
20-02-2007, 10:58 AM
: I'm suffering from Hyperacusis, a kind of acute oversensitivity to sound- now slightly more manageable through years of gradual hearing loss and the onset of tinnitus...* I used to have that too. Went away when i stopped worrying about it. I reckon hyperacusis is a form/manifestation of depression, when you focuss too intensely on yourself.
Interestingly, problems in processing sensory information seems to be a feature of autistic spectrum disorders (the lack of proper "filters" sorting the important bits from the random bits, causing sensory information overload- Perhaps a whiff of Asbergers would explain more than just a little bit of my erratic experiences over the years,lol! ...Although *that* fashionable diagnosis seem to get tagged almost uncritically to everyone and his grandmother nowadays, making me a bit suspicious about the use of it all, there seems to be a worrying trend of overdiagnostisation at the moment- if you think of autism/asberger's as nothing but names for a spectrum of ill-understood phenomena, it becomes less dramatic.
Use the gear to create the soundscapes without worrying too much about notes or chords, would've been nice to get a working knowledge of those things eventually, though!) It is quite easy to pick up this knowledge yourself. I used to muck about with electronics but realised that this was not getting me to where i wanted to be, so i took some piano lessons at a local adult education college and learned a bit of music theory. after a year i was fluent with diminished 7th, secondary dominants, chord scales, root progressions and all that fancy music theory. it's really quite easy once you look at it seriously and with sustained interest. it's also made me a much better musician.

Mr. Tea
20-02-2007, 01:10 PM
I had a touch of that AIDS once a few years back, but I'm alright now.

zhao
20-02-2007, 09:39 PM
I've been smoking so much grass the past week that my sleep pattern is all out of wack - when I get high I stay up until 5 or 6 AM and have to go to work at 10... I guess not an ailment...

coming back from seeing Joe Nice I stayed up until 7 AM :eek:

simon silverdollar
06-03-2007, 12:39 PM
today i found out the medical term for a condition i've had since i was about 10 or so. it's called, quite wonderfully, 'exploding head syndrome':

http://www.sleepeducation.com/Disorder.aspx?id=33

occasionally just as i'm getting sleep, i'll hear the loudest, most crystal clear buzzing sound inside my head, like the noise a jack lead makes as you put it into an amp. it'll wake me up with a start, and i'll feel quite confused.

it happens more when i'm very tired and/or on drugs.

Mr. Tea
06-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm disappointed that syndrome isn't more literal in its symptoms. :(

craner
22-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Now I've got a fucking veruka. I must have picked it up at the pool. What's the best thing to do? Cut it out with a knife?

HMGovt
22-03-2007, 11:42 AM
today i found out the medical term for a condition i've had since i was about 10 or so. it's called, quite wonderfully, 'exploding head syndrome':

http://www.sleepeducation.com/Disorder.aspx?id=33

occasionally just as i'm getting sleep, i'll hear the loudest, most crystal clear buzzing sound inside my head, like the noise a jack lead makes as you put it into an amp. it'll wake me up with a start, and i'll feel quite confused.

it happens more when i'm very tired and/or on drugs.

Used to get that after indulging in 1993-1994. It was like an electric version of that falling awake sensation. Not so much a buzz as a blue-white flash in my head with an inaudible loudness to it. Haven't had it for years though, sadly.

zhao
30-07-2013, 12:13 PM
a good contender for the most disgusting, annoying, and miserable common ailment is the sinus infection - difficulty breathing, low fever, chills, fatigue, and that nasty, nasty green pus that comes out your nose.

5 days into it now. Caused me to miss Cut Hands and Raime and a load of others. Using Cayenne Pepper, Oregano, Apple Vinegar, and hoping to god it goes away soon.

anyone else had it? they say every 200 colds becomes it...

i guess 1 good thing is i came back here to make some posts after MIA for several years :)

luka
30-07-2013, 05:08 PM
EWWW CRANERS GOT VERUCCAS, THATS DISGUSTING.

craner
31-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Hey, it's long gone. I caught it at the Oasis swimming pool in Covent Garden. Don't go there! I had to get a prescription for Bazooka.

I had it for ages, though, on the bottom of my foot. I was so stupid that I didn't know what to do about it. I brought this gel from Boots which I gleefully applied, but that just seemed to make the veruca turn white and expand. One night I was so drunk and half-crazed, I tried to dig it out with a pair of scissors. I woke up with a howling hangover, lying next to a pair of blood-stained scissors and surrounded by bits of dead veruca. It was still there, though, on the bottom of my foot, but now inside a big crater with walls of dead flesh cells. It started to infect my mind, which was already a little unbalanced at that point, so that I imagined two possibilities: 1) that the veruca would carry on growing until I was walking around on a big veruca-shaped stump rather than a left foot, like those feral pigeons you see in Soho Square or 2) it wasn't even a veruca but a slow-burning ebola strain that was going to swallow my entire foot and maybe my leg, torso, face, everything.

In the end I went to the doctor.

Mr. Tea
31-07-2013, 08:29 AM
FOOT-AIDS FOOT-AIDS FOOT-AIDS!

Edit: fucking hell. :eek:

craner
31-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Call me a sadist, but this is an amusing thread.

I hope Idlerich has managed to come to terms with his twitch, undiscovered until 2006.

I realise in retrospect that I should have been more sympathetic about Owen Hatherley's Crohn's Disease. At the time I just thought he was skiving in order to write books.

My blood pressure is quite normal these days but I still have a high red blood cell count.

droid
31-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Pull a muscle in my knee a couple of weeks ago which made cycling agony. Finally got over it and then fell of my bike yesterday. Now I have a sore neck, bloody arm and a massive bruise on my arse.

Leo
31-07-2013, 03:48 PM
christ, don't get me going on this. for starters: laser eye surgery to repair a torn retina...for the second time in 18 months! yeah. it's like having the most close-up seats for an insane light show while also getting gently but repeatedly punched in the back of the eye with each pulse.

think "clockwork orange."

hucks
31-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Call me a sadist, but this is an amusing thread.

I hope Idlerich has managed to come to terms with his twitch, undiscovered until 2006.

I realise in retrospect that I should have been more sympathetic about Owen Hatherley's Crohn's Disease. At the time I just thought he was skiving in order to write books.

My blood pressure is quite normal these days but I still have a high red blood cell count.

Owen was Owen Hatherly? I like his books.

craner
31-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Yeah, who doesn't?

benw
31-07-2013, 09:32 PM
i found out 2 and a half years ago that im epileptic the hard way in a greek airport. which has been a pain (and im told is unusual for someone in their early twenties to develop it now) but im lucky and dont have too many fits. but every fit means another year without driving, a pretty bruised body and my lips are almost always bitten through. Punchline is that my 'triggers' are sleep deprivation, stimulants and dehydration. so basically, getting pissed, going out late etc etc. not been to hard actually to steer away from 'caning it' but still not ideal...

craner
14-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Anyone had bruised or broken ribs?

If so, how do you tell the difference? And what do you do, just grit your teeth for a couple of weeks?

jenks
14-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Unless you've punctured a lung, it's usually a bandage and being told to MTFU by a disapproving nurse.

No1 son has buggered up his shoulder racing/crashing his bike - 4 weeks in a sling is driving us all mad.

mistersloane
14-05-2014, 03:51 PM
I had a touch of that AIDS once a few years back, but I'm alright now.

did it recur?

craner
14-05-2014, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I went head-first over the handlebars of my bike. Luckily, I didn't break my nose, or my modelling career would have been fucked.

jenks
17-06-2014, 08:01 AM
Awaiting operation to put my wrist, currently in too many pieces to count, back together with pine and plates after coming off the bike during a time trial. Been in plaster for a week. Yes it hurts. A. Lot.
Equally worrying to me is the huge sac of fluid at the top of my thigh which wobbles as I hobble around - my leg looks wider than Chris Hoy's. Should I be worried?