Prince alone in the studio

woops

is not like other people
RIGHT. I've just got this off Woebot's webl:

"It's arguable that within electronica the margins for error are slight, without intuitive self-censorship and a superhuman musicality many recordings are doomed to grate.

At once like like stand-up comedy and watercolour painting the forbiddingly solitary nature of the process and the practitioners slight arsenal mean that without alloying powers of collaboration (the trump card of genre and the reason behind the artistic success of as disparate units as Foul Play and Pansonic) there simply isn't enough tension in the music."

I don't get this at all. There have always been solo performers, with or without a slight arsenal, superhuman musicality or whatever. I also thought of hip hop, rnb, jungle producers who also knock em off solo regularly.

Superhuman musicality presumably covers yer afx, vangelis, pierre henry and that, but surely you can't just dismiss all "electronica" one-man shows on these "tension" grounds? As if the Pan Sonic do their stuff staring hard into each others eyes, willing them to put a foot wrong? I like Mouse on Mars as much as anyone but I rate Jan's solo stuff just as highly.

This feels to me like a bit of a pop at geeky electronica bedroom producers (and now you see why I'm posting this - I took it personally!)

Surely its down to whether you like whoever's style, their "sound" or whatever, rather than mental pictures of the recording situation? WOEBOT admits its arguable - so argue.

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
yeah, but there are other elements that come in to play in in other genres that keep these solo ventures from sounding too much like the inside of some bloke's head. hiphop has MCs who the producers work with and then DJs play it in their sets shed different light on it, likewise jungle, R&B has vocalists, classical & compostion have orchestras and conducters. i can't think of any other genre that is as solitary as electronic music. singer songwriters who play solo can bring human aspects that electronic music can't and they can play live (even the best laptop shows don't deliver in the way performed live music can, imo)

PeteUM

It's all grist
Are we talking single individual + laptop shows or solo electronica in general?

Uh...I think some of both is better than others...?

And I'd rather watch Pimmon do his taxes than Embrace or something. I suppose that's obvious though.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
I think this is the reason I cant stand laptop shows, or coffehouse singer/songwriters. Never put the two together, but it has to be the self-abosrbed, introspective, cut off from reality type of thing.