Shi Ra Nui / 360 degrees?

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Shi Ra Nui was a sort of avant (and I mean it - really nuts) instrumental hip-hop label from Japan that was active up until the late 90s. The biggest point of cross-over for Western audiences seems to be the Sub Rosa label remix album ('Sub Rosa vs Shi-Ra-Nui'). I like the
original tracks on this compilation much, much more than the remixes.

It's a bit of a long shot, but what I'm wondering is if anyone heard any of the label releases or had anything to say about them?

I know that Shi-Ra-Nui had some kind of affiliation with a label called 360 Degree Records that is still operating. Anyone know what any releases on that label sound like?

I think I can pick up all this stuff locally (in Tokyo) but don't know where to start and whether it's worth it anyway!

If anyone can offer any suggestions at all I'd be very grateful.

This is the English language catalogue for 360 deg records, which includes the Shi Ra Nui titles: http://www.360records.net/ecatalog.htm

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Funny. I have been thinking about these guys lately ... I cant remember who was running the thing but it was championed in part by a guy called Atsushi Sasaki who now runs a magazine called FADER (no relation at all to the US mag). There was a related label called soup-disk that had a lot of good stuff on it: avant hiphop. Some friends of mine put out stuff on there but I dont know what ever happened to the label. I have the feeling that records are still coming out but Im not sure why I think so. I'm sure one can still find them somewhere? You might try asking at Los Apson? in Shinjuku. They know if anyone does.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
Oh yeah the releases. I had a couple of which some were better than others. the best I had I think was a label sampler, cant remmeber the title now but it was a printed on disk with a little track card pasted to a clear CD case and no other inserts. looking at the catalog I think it was either the *soliloqy of chaos* or *shadow jazz blunts* 1 or 2. these were all quite good if memory serves. artist picks: jigen, ruffneck piano.

Last edited: