Roll Deep - Rollin' Deeper

Matt DC

If indeed this is to be the final version of the album... well, I can see it being a divisive one. I've no idea if there's an ILM thread on this at the moment, but its BY FAR the poppiest thing the scene has produced so far. A real early 90s rnb feel to it, musically it sounds very American as well - I'm not sure if you can even call this grime any more.

I listened to this and Run The Road back to back and I can't help but feel that, enjoyable as this is, Wiley has bottled it somewhat. No idea what the tracklisting is, but that penultimate track, the one with the Eastern samples, is ace.

Anyway - opinions?

Last edited:

Hadean

10 below
have to listen more, but the initial feeling - with the r&b / northern soul pop flavour - was LOVIN' it

D

droid

Matt DC said:
If indeed this is to be the final version of the album... well, I can see it being a divisive one. I've no idea if there's an ILM thread on this at the moment, but its BY FAR the poppiest thing the scene has produced so far. A real early 90s rnb feel to it, musically it sounds very American as well - I'm not sure if you can even call this grime any more.

I listened to this and Run The Road back to back and I can't help but feel that, enjoyable as this is, Wiley has bottled it somewhat. No idea what the tracklisting is, but that penultimate track, the one with the Eastern samples, is ace.

Anyway - opinions?

I have to say i think that apart from about 3 of the more 'grime' tunes its absoloutely appalling.. MC-wise, I dont think they pull off the whole hip-hop/r+b speed stuff at all. Their going for a shiny Kanye West kind of sound, and it just ends up sounding cheap...

I dont think this holds a candle to either of the Dizzee LP's, the Wiley album, or the previous Roll Deep singles... Im gutted! - i was really looking forward to this... :(

(That said track 15: 'poltergeist relay' is excellent - but one good track does not an LP make...)