Wilco: Shit or Clay?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
For nearly 10 years was never a fan. I found them to be the new REM, the ultimately MOR-indie type band that make earnest, workmanlike albums of song than nether enlighten nor offend. the toe the shiny-happy idealistic-Uni educated line so well, have the MOJO-friendly rock-history chops down pat, and are enigmatic and 'dangerous' enough to have that mystery thing called 'cred' or whatever it's called these days.

But all their record promised much and delivered NOTHING IMHO. Wanky Neil Young/Gram Parsons -easy-listening LA post-junky Barney Hosking's No-Depression bleh, or REM for people who are too cool to admit they like REM..

HOWEVER....

I changed my mind about them with their recent 'GHOSTS' album. Obviously Jim O'rourke is the new ENO, but he basically did an Eno on them, got rid of the fucken Scott Litt/Mitch Easter type brown bullshit and gave them some sorta sonique palette, even if they sounded like a more 'rockist' version of Yo La Tengo or something (another band who disappeared up their own arses)... I am now somewhat of a fan, though GHOSTS is really only half a record, the other half is their boring Billy Joel-with-grunge-guitars crap they do so well, but that good half is enough to open the door for some sorta respect/pleasure this band seems to finally deliver to moi.

I'm interested to know what other Dissensans' think of 'the WILCO' thing. There's prolly heaps that worship, but I know there's alot that don't.