Mixtape-only tracks that deserve wider recognition

DavidD

can't be stopped
I thought this might be a good thread to start, especially considering the Kanye and Ghostface albums, which I love, missing some of the artists' best work (Luckily, some of the Ghost tracks were picked up for the pretty damn good theodore unit album). This post is inspired by two tracks in particular.

1. Jacki-O's "Zoom," a Commodores-sampling cut that makes great use of the inspiring hook of the original.

and

2. Freeway's "Night Shift," coincidentally another Commodores sample with some amazing verses from Freeway and Memphis Bleek. Both of these songs could be career highlights for the artists, but unfortunately will be unlikely to make it outside of the mixtape circuit.

Anyone have any other great examples?

nick.K

gabba survivor
I'm amazed how much gets left on the studio floor. my most recent discovery was 'bubba sparxx + petey pablo - git on dis motorcycle' like so many mixtape moments it never found an album. And what came of 'Take Time', that dizzee track where he stops to muse and whistle. I'd have bought an album of him chattin to himself like that. It's understandable, there can always be a few tracks that can't be released cause they don't appropriately represent the artist.

DavidD

can't be stopped
Donno the D Block track (I'll have to investigate) but "Get on Dis Motorcycle" is actually an album track on Petey's album this year; it SHOULD have been a single, though.

Another one I thought of - Jadakiss - The Champ is Here produced by Green Lantern; I guess they couldn't clear the awesome sample from Ali .

Backjob

It's the one with the "everywhere we go-oo people always ask us" chant on it. May have been re-titled - it was on a green lantern tape last year.

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
The version of Badunkadunk (Twista) on the Kanye West I'm Good mix - guess the sample was a bit too big to clear, but it pisses on the lp version.
Not sure what the title is but there's a J Love & Ghostface mixtape with (what I assume is) the J Love remix of Bring The Ruckus - reworks the beat on that very nicely.
And on the subject of Jadakiss, the Times Up '93 freestyle is amazing - be nice to have a longer version of that

Matos_W.K.

I like Kanye & Common's "Better Than Yours" and especially So So Def ft. Ludacris' "Freestyle" ("2004, the world needs more lesbians/And more drunk drivers to hit drunk pedestrians")

dubplatestyle

oh, and not really a mixtape tune, but kardi's "bellydancer" deserves to make it into every neptunes top 10 ever published and i dont even think it made it to a commercial release.

AshRa

dubplatestyle said:
oh, and not really a mixtape tune, but kardi's "bellydancer" deserves to make it into every neptunes top 10 ever published and i dont even think it made it to a commercial release.

If did come out on 12" actually, which led to year of shouting "A belly dahncer, a belly dahncer!" every time we got an order for it at work - isn't he Canadian btw?

gragy10

Veteran Lurker
AshRa said:
If did come out on 12" actually, which led to year of shouting "A belly dahncer, a belly dahncer!" every time we got an order for it at work - isn't he Canadian btw?

Yeah he's canadian - anyone know what happened about the court case about this tune? Some guy on the startrak boards claimed they (the neptunes) stole the beat from him pretty much wholesale. Par for the course claim if you're a successful producer I know, but this one seemed pretty convincing - it's not exactly a generic neptunes beat and I haven't heard them do anything similar before or since.
Amazing track btw - definite lost classic