The Artic Monkeys are Stump with a hip producer

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Nothing more, nothing less. I really don't understand the psychic investment people make into these here-today-gone-tommorow dahhhhhlinks.

jenks

thread death
someone did me a cd of their stuff, just seeems so lumpen, so dull, so unexciting, am i now too old to see the fresh new kids stuff????

it all seems so poorly put together without the virtue of the 'freshness' so often associated with early punk

have i really seen all this before?

ChineseArithmetic

It is what it is
I thought when I heard it that the first half sounded like the return of melodic hardcore punk, and reminded me of Snuff, second half was mid-nineties Evening Session bog-standard indie. Dunno about Stump; they're maybe closer to Bogshed.

zhao

there are no accidents
literaly listening to it for the first time right now. normally I wouldn't even waste my hard-drive space for something like this but because of all the talk...

I'm on track 4 right now and so far it's pure shit. the sort of lumpy shit monkeys throw at you for no other reason than because they can.

it's an english version of horrid O.C. pop-punk. the kind played by guys with spikey dyed blonde hair and Ray-Ban sunglasses. the kind in the back-ground of X-treme sports gear commercials. just imagine snow-boarding footage to it.

I think Simon and Woebot have listened to so much good music that this monkey-shit sounds fresh just because it's fucking awful.

Last edited:

Woebot

confucius said:
literaly listening to it for the first time right now. normally I wouldn't even waste my hard-drive space for something like this but because of all the talk...

I'm on track 4 right now and so far it's pure shit. the sort of lumpy shit monkeys throw at you for no other reason than because they can.

it's an english version of horrid O.C. pop-punk. the kind played by guys with spikey dyed blonde hair and Ray-Ban sunglasses. the kind in the back-ground of X-treme sports gear commercials. just imagine snow-boarding footage to it.

I think Simon and Woebot have listened to so much good music that this monkey-shit sounds fresh just because it's fucking awful.

:D

john eden

male pale and stale
Oh wow - they sound like Stump and/or Bogshed?

I might have to check them out now...

"HOW MUCH IS THE FISH, HOW MUCH IS THE FISH?
DOES THE FISH HAVE CHIPS?"

:cool:

martin

----
Have I just downloaded the wrong album by mistake, but it sounds like the Libertines pretending to be Electric Six to me (with a northerner singing)

vernoncrane

garrett dweller
err. actually Stump would be a very positive reference point for me too...surely the monkey's cant be that good... i must have a listen to them too...

Woebot

john eden said:

stump were much more adventurous than the AM, and yeah they were OK.

but arctic monkeys sound *absolutely nothing whatsoever* like them......

Loki

john eden said:

i'm with John... i like them a lot more already...

"When Charlton Hest-on
Put his vest on."

john eden

male pale and stale
WOEBOT said:
but arctic monkeys sound *absolutely nothing whatsoever* like them......

I am lead on, with all my youthful beaming enthusiasm... and then cruelly disappointed, yet again. :(

diabolus in musica

I think on the first riff on the first track on their album, "view from the afternoon", they are utilising diabolus in musica the last appearance of which in the pop-rock world that i know of is on one of the tracks on the bends but i cant remember the name of the song.

then the stop start bit later in "view from the afternoon" is a dead ringer for ned's atomic dustbin's magnum opus "kill your television" (quite a moving song or is that only me), just to evoke another name from the cud / kingmaker etc. canon.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i liked stump a lot and am also enjoying the monkeys a lot, but that doesn't mean they're anything like each other at all. they're not. of course, they should probably give up making music after this first *glorious* album but for now, i'm absolutely loving them. they're young, full of fun, not trying to be anything they're not. it's totally rock 'n' roll, pretty biting but endearingly innocent at the same time and that's a tough balancing act to pull off. the best thing about them,fro me, though, is their sheer enthusiasm. you can you can almost hear them thinking "FUCK I'M IN A BAND AND MAKING A RECORD - THIS IS GREAT!!!!" right the way throughout the album. i'm pretty convinced that most people who are saying they're rubbish are doing so for reasons of indie contrarianism and have to say that for people who apparently so dislike indie music, dissensus is a pretty damned indie community.

Last edited:

Buick6

too punk to drunk
john eden said:

Obviously you get what I'm trying to say but the other fuckers don't, coz, as my mainmost mayn George said

"Guilty feet ain't got no rhythm.."

Thr Artic Monkeys make no sense to me coz I'm not some Pom, and Stump didn't either, but I sorta understand their everyday-peepz kinda wit-lyric vibe, that also reminds me of Alexy Sayles musical endeavours ('Didn't ya kill my bruvva?'). I could also throw in a Pommie-version of FISHBONE if they makes it clearer for you punces.

And that funky, po-punky, odd-noodly shit they do reminds me of the one or two Stump tracks I saw on the 'Gimme shelter' indie C86 video thingy. So they rest of you smarty-arses can get fucked if you think I'm a-talking non-sense.

mms

sometimes
i've said this before but i reckon lyrically and in the singers voice and delivery they have alot in common with george formby, all cheeky winks and saucy comments, course there is the accent too.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
mms said:
i've said this before but i reckon lyrically and in the singers voice and delivery they have alot in common with george formby, all cheeky winks and saucy comments, course there is the accent too.

The same was said about Morrissey ;)