grime mc's on d&b/jungle

benjybars

village elder.
anyone who's downloaded the old nasty crew set on blackdown's blog will have heard d double, stormin, and sharkey major spittin over d&b for the last 10 mins... dat got me so hype!! d double and stormin were actually proper decent.

ruff sqwad do the same thing on their sets sometimes, although they usually just piss around..still gets me hype though :)

what other grime mc's have people heard on d&b?? I was listening to an old riko set from 97 wid eksman and he MERKS!! I'll upload it later..

in dizzee's interview he said he's doin a d&b tune wid shyfx..zoop! has anyone heard dizzee on d&b?? what about wiley?

labrat

hot on the heels of love
apparently Virus Syndicate mc on jungle on some recent trax, anyone know the names of them?

D

droid

benjybars said:
anyone who's downloaded the old nasty crew set on blackdown's blog will have heard d double, stormin, and sharkey major spittin over d&b for the last 10 mins... dat got me so hype!! d double and stormin were actually proper decent.

They were chatting over 'wolf' by Shy FX from 98/99 - Ive got an MP3 somewhere with some other Grime MCs over the same tune - dire Jump Up/Tech-step hybrid that it is...

D

droid

xpress said:
ye ive got a set wiv d double on jungle, not my cup of tea 2 b honest

The high speed MCing is good - but most of the tunes they voice over are fairly shit...

tate

Brown Sugar
I hesitate to ask the question b/c I assume that most will respond "she's not grime" and "his disco-y liquid dnb sucks," but I have always wondered what people at dissensus had thought of High Contrast's track "Angels and Fly," with MC Nolay on it, from his last record, High Society? There's also a "club mix " now as well, which is unbearably cheesy by my reckoning.

(HC also remixed Kano's "Reload It," thoughts on that also welcome . . .)

High Contrast was bold enough to say of "Angels and Fly" that he "wanted to get a hybrid between drum & bass and hip hop. I never really felt it had been done totally right" (Knowledge Mag, August 2004, p. 22, in an interview conducted by Martin no less :) ) . . . hmm . . . well i've always thought that the tune was a bit too derivative of Noreaga's "Superthug" (both the beat and the keys) but what do I know.

Last edited:

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
Keith P said:
Gotta say thats kinda horrid.

Yeah, I can see why you'd say that. I actually like HC a lot, as I think he;s bringing a sense of fun and raving back to DnB but that's fairly inessential.

gumdrops

that remix of reload it was kinda awful IMHO
the original was alright for nostalgia reasons and the MCing was good but i thought they should have got someone other than diplo to do it, maybe someone from the scene
i think riko and DEE are both great over jungle, DEE's flow is actually better (or at least tighter) over fast beats
ive got an old pirate rip with dizzee and wiley over jungle (dizzee does the stop dat verses), i love it personally
hes meant to be doing a jungle track with shy fx on the maths and english album, not sure how that will turn out

benjybars

village elder.
gumdrops said:
that remix of reload it was kinda awful IMHO
the original was alright for nostalgia reasons and the MCing was good but i thought they should have got someone other than diplo to do it, maybe someone from the scene
i think riko and DEE are both great over jungle, DEE's flow is actually better (or at least tighter) over fast beats
ive got an old pirate rip with dizzee and wiley over jungle (dizzee does the stop dat verses), i love it personally
hes meant to be doing a jungle track with shy fx on the maths and english album, not sure how that will turn out

gumdrops, any chance you could post that wiley and dizzee on jungle?? if you do i'll bring you in to my family tree...

also, agreed about DEE; his clipped flow sounds DUTTY on d&b!

soi

benjybars said:

don't get me wrong I don't want anyone to get bent out of shape over this (and i guess it's been mentioned before and OT and all :)), but...WHY do ppl encode poor-quality recordings at 256k, like this one? that's 2MB per minute FFS! surely stuff like this is broadcast at 96 or less anyway