Smoking Ban

labrat

hot on the heels of love
FUCK THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smoking in pubs is what made Britain GREAT!!

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
I fully support the smoking ban because I don't think workers should be exposed to cancerous fumes as an integral part of their jobs.

It seems I am not alone in this.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
No, smoking in pubs is not what made Britain great.

And I'm getting a bit sick of nicotine addicts selfish self righteousness.

D

droid

Have to say - it works very well here in Ireland... apart from nearly killing our tiny reggae scene - and reducing dancefloors to wastelands when everyone heads en masse to have a smoke outside - plus no more sneaky spliffs behind the deckles... :(

I cant believe smoking in the workplace in the UK is still legal!!! Thats appalling.

john eden

male pale and stale
droid said:
I cant believe smoking in the workplace in the UK is still legal!!! Thats appalling.

Are clubs and bars in Ireland now staffed by robots? (I mean, I know it can feel like that when it takes ages to get served, but...)

blunt

shot by both sides
I just read that the House of Commons bar(s) are, of course, exempt from this ruling, because the Houses of Parliament count as a royal palace.

I think that's what makes this legislation a bit too difficult to swallow for me. Whatabunchofcunts.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't smoke that often but I don't think this is a good move. Yes, there should be smokeless bars so that people have the choice but that's all. I just think that this government passes too many laws telling us what we can and can't do instead of concentrating on more important things. How much time was wasted on fox hunting?

Rambler

Awanturnik
I think you're basically right, IdleRich (on the meddling govt question), but why should it be the non-smokers who have to chose to go to another pub, rather than the smokers having to chose not to smoke? The choice cuts both ways, and the clincher is that not smoking doesn't fuck you and everyone around you up.

bassnation

the abyss
john eden said:

lol, theres nothing as self-righteous as a newly converted non-smoker.

having said that, a ban is good because it will give me extra motivation to finally give up. i can't really see myself nipping outside the pub every half hour for a cigarette.

good point about the reggae thing droid, wonder how thats going to affect soundsystems here? weed has always been illegal mind, and that never stopped people.

Last edited:
D

droid

john eden said:
Are clubs and bars in Ireland now staffed by robots? (I mean, I know it can feel like that when it takes ages to get served, but...)

:eek: I was thinking more of the office environment, as someone on another forum mentioned that they were allowed smoke at their desks...

Pubs and clubs in ireland are either served by a)Underage kids b)The extended family, or increasingly c) Immigrants and gap year students.*

*This a purely facile analysis as I dont drink and rarely go to either unless Im DJng or there's some very good music to be heard... :)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"why should it be the non-smokers who have to chose to go to another pub, rather than the smokers having to chose not to smoke?"

If there are smoking and non-smoking pubs then the smokers will have to "choose to go to another pub" when they are in the wrong type just as much as the non-smokers. I just don't see why this choice shouldn't be available to bar patrons and bar owners, if there is such a demand for non-smoking pubs then more people should open them and everyone would be happy.

john eden

male pale and stale
IdleRich said:
If there are smoking and non-smoking pubs then the smokers will have to "choose to go to another pub" when they are in the wrong type just as much as the non-smokers. I just don't see why this choice shouldn't be available to bar patrons and bar owners, if there is such a demand for non-smoking pubs then more people should open them and everyone would be happy.

Whether or not bar workers are exposed to toxic fumes as an integral part of their work should not be a choice FOR ANYONE - especially not their managers.

bassnation

the abyss
john eden said:
Whether or not bar workers are exposed to toxic fumes as an integral part of their work should not be a choice FOR ANYONE - especially not their managers.

its pretty much unjustifiable - the argument has moved on and peoples attitudes have changed, so i feel - even as a smoker - that this is democracy actually working for once.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Whether or not bar workers are exposed to toxic fumes as an integral part of their work should not be a choice FOR ANYONE - especially not their managers."

Sure but there must be a way around this. Whetherspoons Pubs and lots of others have no smoking at the bar, couldn't there be a way to extend this? Why not have a non-smoking room and a smoking-room and only the non-smoking room have a bar? That's a fairly simple answer but there must be other ways, again I think that the legislation is unneccessary and hamfisted.

john eden

male pale and stale
IdleRich said:
Sure but there must be a way around this. Whetherspoons Pubs and lots of others have no smoking at the bar, couldn't there be a way to extend this? Why not have a non-smoking room and a smoking-room and only the non-smoking room have a bar? That's a fairly simple answer but there must be other ways, again I think that the legislation is unneccessary and hamfisted.

All sorts of things have been suggested in the discussions up to the law being changed but my understanding is that none of them were workable either.

Non-smoking rooms still have to be cleaned and have glasses collected, etc.

Ventilation seemed like a good idea but then the research showed that it only removed the odour and not the nasty stuff which gives you cancer.

jenks

thread death
i think it's a good thing but i do wonder how it will work in practice, will certain bars turn a blind eye to smoking? how will no smoking be enforced, with coppers, smoking police?

i can see it leading to some ugly scenes but in the long run it will be the right thing

we don't expect to smoke upstairs on the buses and it is very rare to see someone smoking on a train, eventually smoking in pubs will be much the same

D

droid

They police it with a combination of fines, inspectors, and general mean-spiritedness/indignation on the part of the snitch-happy non-smoking public...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Non-smoking rooms still have to be cleaned and have glasses collected, etc.
Ventilation seemed like a good idea but then the research showed that it only removed the odour and not the nasty stuff which gives you cancer."

Good points I must admit. But then again surely smokers wouldn't mind bringing glasses back if it meant that their hobby could stay legal. What if smoking bars employed smokers or would that run into of some kind of equal opportunities legislation?