OK time to fess up

zhao

there are no accidents
all you upstanding and distinguished Dissensians of refined sensibilities and impeccable taste, I want no reservations in your reply to this question -

do you have any guilty pleasures and if so, what are they?

I'm talking about music that you would not vuluntarily admit that you enjoy and/or only play when no one is around, and/or dance in front of the bathroom mirror to; music which satisfies in ways no other can - for personal / sentimental, kinky, or what ever reasons.

or - things that you are attracted to and want to have around but have censored yourself, kept from indulging because it's "bad taste".

me, I'm listening to Morrisey's Bona Drag in it's entirety right now... and thoroughly enjoying it (but some lyrics do make me wince and no, I am NOT dancing in front of the bathroom mirror).

I also love "I think we are alone now" by Tiffany and "I'm your Venus" by... the Bangles? I want to get both of these ASAP. and maybe "Patience" by Guns and Roses. on second thought, the video on DVD would be nice.

this is not so embarrassing but the Pet Shop Boys - Behavior is awesome.

OK your turn.

(we already know Simon and Woebot's. if they are not they should be embarrassed by it)

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
I'm usually trying to take pride in my guilty pleasures, like, say, Rick Wakeman, who I've mentioned here before. Of course, I'll argue that his disco record "Rhapsodies" is a bloody mindblowing proto-rave masterpiece, but Wakeman records like "Journey to the Center to the Earth" and especially "No Earthly Connection" is probably a bit harder to defend. I guess it's simply the fun of it.

I didn't know Pet Shop Boys were a guilty pleasure, I've allways quite liked them. What's wrong with them?

Oh, and I like Electric Light Orchestra.

zhao

there are no accidents
hamarplazt said:
I didn't know Pet Shop Boys were a guilty pleasure, I've allways quite liked them. What's wrong with them?

well I'm no homo-phobe but I just don't want to mis-represent myself: blasting "I want to be your dog" out of your car will probably make people think you are gay. same thing with "Lucky Lisp" or "hairdresser on fire".

I mean I already have a penchant for form-fitting clothes...

DJ PIMP

I'm fond of the cheesey raps in pop tunes like Mase's verse in Mariah Careys "Honey" (awesome tune).

Harlem World we won't stop Mariah you're on fire
Gotta have another taste
Harlem World we won't stop Mariah take us higher
ooohh

Stuff like that.

confucius said:
well I'm no homo-phobe but I just don't want to mis-represent myself: blasting "I want to be your dog" out of your car will probably make people think you are gay. same thing with "Lucky Lisp" or "hairdresser on fire".

yer, cos the idea of 'straight' music fans listening to music made by queer folk has just so never been done has it...everyone knows that anyone who's ever listened to Ivor Novello, Marc Almond, Peter Maxwell Davis, Liberace or Joan Armatrading....could easily be mistaken for a poofta themselves!

jesu....

zhao

there are no accidents
infinite thought said:
yer, cos the idea of 'straight' music fans listening to music made by queer folk has just so never been done has it

oh god don't take offense so easily... (I was afraid this might happen)

there's a difference between music made by gay-people, such as Sun Ra (bet you didn't know that) or Michael Mayer, and overtly gay music like "Lucky Lisp". call me silly or uptight or whatever, but I don't personally feel comfortable blasting Erasure or the Village People down the street. I get hit on by men enough as it is.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Bon Jovi - great stuff to sing along to when it's good.

&

U2 - coz they always come up with one pretty good, catchy song.

hey don't knock the VILLAGE PEOPLE, that lead singer has a frucken great soul voice, just listen to MACHO MAN.

Last edited:

shykitten

peek-a-boo
confucius said:
"I'm your Venus" by... the Bangles?

do you mean 'Venus' by Bananarama? i have a thing for that, although i don't own it. i can't explain it as i loathe Bananarama/SAW otherwise, but i have a fantasy of discovering some tatty 12" single of it in a charity shop, taking it home... :eek:

anyway, where was i? erm, that recent Gorillaz single ('Dirty Harry'?)... all of Happiness, but especially 'Hello', by the Beloved... 'Pump Up The Volume'... 'Ebeneezer Goode'... Goldfrapp are fast becoming a guilty pleasure. not so much of a pleasure actually, more of a chore...

now i feel cleansed.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Gerardo's "Rico Suave" (wikipedia).
Just the way those two words are delivered in the refrain -
"Reee-co ... Suua-ve!"

It makes me smile everytime I hear it (not that often - but I did
pick up the 7" in a jumblesale years ago, a local radio station was getting rid
off some stuff).

The rest of the song is not much to write home about though.

It counts big time - as it's number 11 of the Top 50 Most Awesomely Bad Songs, Ever (vh1)
(Starship's "We Built This City" is top)

Rico Suave (video stream) (ugh - I'll take my coat :eek: ).

Last edited:

henry s

Street Fighting Man
it's tough to find true guilty pleasures nowadays...irony has made even the crappiest stuff laudable in some semi-respected circle...but here goes:

Journey - "Don't Stop Believin'"
Monkees - "Daydream Believer"
Nitzer Ebb - Belief LP

(for some reason I'm ashamed of things involving "belief")

and way more Sheryl Crow than a man should cop to...including the duet she did with Kid Rock...oh, and while we're at it, all of Kid Rock's ballads...

oh god, I'm ruined...ruined!!

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
hail

i don't feel guilty about anything. the stuff i don't play out in front of other people tends to be out of consideration not because i don't want them to know i like it, things like merzbow.

anyway, i'm quite a sun ra fan, but i never heard he was gay before, where did you hear that? it's not mentioned in the biography i've read, that book says he was celibate.

zhao

there are no accidents
I met this old jazz cat who lived with Ra and the Arkestra in San Francisco for a few years, and toured with them in the East Coast for a bit too... I was just as surprised to hear it as you are. "he was SUCH a queen..." was exactly what he said. I mean I guess the dude coulda been fulla shit, but didn't sound like it. he was talking about a bunch of stuff from the 70s that all sounded real, just events from his life in jazz. he's retired now and lives in San Pedro and does modern painting for fun, real smart and hip gran-pa type, just good vibes... can't think of a single reason why he would make sumn' like that up.

God I LOVE that Erasure song, Blue Savanna. I have to get that single RIGHT NOW.

Henry S., dude, I know what you mean about Nitzer Ebb. it's the vocals that make it so embrassing now. I used to listen to that CONSTANTLY in high-school. Laibach aged well though. Liben Heist Liben still sounds good.

Let's make this what David Foster Wallace described AA meetings to be: an irony-free zone.

jack

confucius said:
there's a difference between music made by gay-people, such as ... Michael Mayer

(psst Michael Mayer's not gay. he has a girlfriend and everything)

Don Rosco

It's got to be the whole of Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell, but mostly Paradise by the dashboard light. Oh man. What emotion! What power!

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I know we had a guilty pleasures thread before, and can't remember what I said, but really the things I'm most guilty about are the sorta earnest and lame things. There's plenty of silly 80s pop songs and so on I enjoy for the nostalgia, love dancing to, etc. but I kinda take that as sensible!

So...

I really like James's album 'Laid'. Produced by Brian Eno, but whoopdeedoo, it's still very meat and potatoes, earnest songwriting.

I like some REM songs, invariably the maudlin dirges, not the less smooth early stuff. 'Nightswimming', etc.

Aimee Mann's 'Give Up' from the Magnolia soundtrack.

I was fairly obsessed with a mid-90s Erasure slow tune called 'Rock Me Gently', particularly the Greg Hunter mix. Admittedly it has a massive breakdown with Diamanda Galas screaming over it, but it's generally very sweet and lovely and has the chorus "In my dreams, you're with me / You hold me sweetly and rock me gently / to sleep / in your arms" and FUCK, I FEEL IT, MAN!!!

Oh, and 'Iris' by the Goo-goo Dolls!? I know it's awful, there's definitely some irony in this one, but it doesn't mean I don't get the rush with all the build ups and crap.

zhao

there are no accidents
did we have a guilty pleasures thread before? wonder how I missed it.

Erasure with Diamonda Galas? wow that makes... no sense.

I'll never admit to ever having been moved by "Losing My Religion" or liking that "Orange Crush" song (that what it was called? was on the radio 24-7 in 1987).... in fact, I never have and I don't.

ok this is gonna be hard. once in a blue moon... I... enjoy...

(deep breath)

trance

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

zhao

there are no accidents
Buick6 said:
Was SunRa gay? Shit, then he's off my heroes list. Bloody sneaky poofter subversive, heh. :cool:

are you trying to provoke the infinite wrath of infinite thought?

can't you see it? I mean he was awfully queer (in the strange sense) what with the fancy dresses and head-pieces...

Diaz

Don Rosco said:
It's got to be the whole of Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell, but mostly Paradise by the dashboard light. Oh man. What emotion! What power!

not to derail the thread, but when i was a wee young'un (meaning slightly before now, by most standards) i was in a meatloaf music video, as "young loaf". for reals. 'objects in the rear view mirror (may appear closer than they are). totally different album,era, etc., but yeah. there you go.

anyways, as far as my 'guilty pleasures' go, it changes. does stuff you listened to as a kid and still occasionally do count?
i don't know if it's completely irony-free, but i really, really this one korean pop band, h.o.t. - high-five of teenagers. most of their music is silly cheesy rave-pop (candy), but they have this one video for a song called 'outside castle', that has by far the most attractive girl-looking-dudes i have ever seen, and it...well, it does for some reason strike a chord with me. i probably wouldn't listen to it in english though, and i guess that makes the difference.
other than that, probably sergio mendes (courtesy of my mom) or fishbone (courtesy of growing up in the valley).

-most hip-hop makes me feel guilty somehow, like it's not 'mine' to be listening to and if i were caught dancing to it the way i usually do in private, i would be quite embarrassed. i don't think that counts, though.