Where is Kodwo?

nomos

Administrator
I've looked all over the net in vain, finding only Ccru, Nettime and assorted bits. Nothing recent. I'd expect he'd have a lot to say about dubstep and grime, and I'd like to see how he reconfigures his break-based concepts in the hacked-2step context.

Anyone?

satanmcnugget

twas i who first suggested that we start an online petition to DEMAND that he start a blog, lest we all camp out on his lawn

but nobody listens to me (fuckers!!!), so....shrugz :)

john eden

male pale and stale
Last time I saw him he was talking about writing in exhibition catalogues.

Something he wrote about blaxploitation is quoted in one of 3 new stewart home pamphlets I have...

blissblogger

i think he has a job for a TV production company that evolved out of this Black Film Workshop thing --forget their name, a bunch of Black British film makers that K was friendly with-- anyway it's now a TV production company with a more streetwise name (Smoking Gun or something like that) and K has been coming up with ideas and treatments for series, mostly music related

i imagine he is also busy, like he's been since More Brilliant, on that whole museum/art gallery/conference circuit, giving talks and being on panels and such across Europe and indeed the globe -- as you say writing catalogue essays and such

his girlfriend and he were working on some out-there project -- a film or documentary -- about zero gravity, i think they actually went up into the upper atmosphere and did the whole Zero G thing a couple of times

but yes it is frustrating that we don't see his writing in magazines hardly at all ... it feels like the kind of interzones where "that kind of thing" is allowed e..g like iD have kind of closed up.... so the only place it can go on is art journals and academia

he totally welched on his deal with Woebot, where matt was going to get him a new copy of Enforcers 6 cos it got melted in a house fire and K in return was going to start a blog

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i think i-D is still doing interesting stuff. i get pretty much free rein to do whatever the hell i like there, anyway, provided it works. it would be nice to see kodwo doing music crit there again because we've got totally different approaches (boiled down, i like taking physical journeys to understand music and kodwo likes making psychic/theoretical ones) and i think they'd complement one another really damned well. i want to see the dude writing more coz i miss him lots and he's a nice chap. i might see if i can drag him out for my forthcoming resonance fm series (CHECK THAT PLUG OUT! i'll make a proper announcement when i've got dates for it, but some dissensians will be guesting on shows and it's going to be a lot of fun).

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
Now I feel like a stalker. Here's an IMDB entry.

Sounds like he's doing interesting work but yeah it's a shame that the fora his sort of written work have been closing down. I think Woebot and satanmcnugget have got the right idea. John, where could I track down those Stewart Home pamphlets from overseas?

On the plus side, Steve Goodman/Kode9 has been doing more current work in a similar vein. I'm looking forward to seeing more from him. Thanks all for the info.

john eden

male pale and stale
I'll have a look at those pamphlets tonight - it might just be a reference rather than big quotage.

He's also lecturing, btw.

Woebot

blissblogger said:
he totally welched on his deal with Woebot, where matt was going to get him a new copy of Enforcers 6 cos it got melted in a house fire and K in return was going to start a blog

it's true isn't it! that feels like a million years ago......

he really should do a blog. they're such wonderfully useful things. everyone should have a blog i reckon.

owen

blissblogger said:
lecturing

oh yeah he's been doing stuff at Goldsmiths hasn't he

uncanny really- cos he's teaching a 'music as communication' media course, which i did when i was at goldsmiths and spent most of my time using 'more brilliant...' as proof that the course was utterly useless...

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Last edited:

jutboyd

Dubscout
such a good question, myself and several friends have been wondering what kodwo has been up to. i picked up a mediocre album called Folky ( a comp of folk/electronic) just because kodwo had written the liner notes. i'd love to hear his insights on dubstep, reynolds has blogged a bit a bout it, but not all that much.

Karl Kraft

Last times I hear anything abt Kodwo it was in relation to architecture. I saw him at a Sweatshop debate where he was on a real Archigram trip, and he's just contributed to champion of Brutalism David Adjaye's Public Buildings book, he's the guy who also did that amazing 'Within Reach' collaboration with Chris Ofili @ Venice Biennale 03. Kodwo seems to do an amazing variation of things