Bay Area Rap

echevarian

babylon sister
Here's a little prediction,

by June everyones going to be on the Bay's dick.

E-40's got a new album coming out with Lil Jon.

San Quinn just released a very impressive album.

You got Keak Da Sneak, Turf Talk, Ya Boy, and a whole list of other rappers.

All these guys are world class, easily as good as anything out of Houston.

Its not just about hyphy beats, there's a strong hardcore scene going too.

Just loads of good producers: Rick Rock, Droop E (E-40's son), more than I can count.

It just looks like its the Bay's year, at least if you believe the A&R's hype talk.

What I find utterly bizarre is hearing the little remnants of older underground rap getting mixed in with this stuff. A track with Zion I sharing space with hardcore-ish MCs like Turf.

Or even the track that Dj Shadow did with Turf and Keak.

Its a straight up electro-rave, hyphy beat, miles away from anything I've heard by the man.

So anybody who actually lives there want to spread some knowledge?

echevarian

babylon sister
Or alternately we could have a intelligent conversation about the growing popularity of Ecstacy within the mixtape scene country wide. But as it specifically pertains to this music.

E-40 - Da Dummy

Sounds like a guy rapping over acid house.

All us Reynolds acolytes got to have something interesting to say about the re use

of hoovers and acid lines in hiphop in recent years?

Hyphy does not equal San Fran crunk.

Its its own thing entirely.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I agree that this year will be all about the bay, looks like they got next. That Hyphy shit is live, I'm feeling it definitely. They needed their own brand-name thing to get behind and hyphy is it. Lot of energy and creativity there and yeah, that DJ Shadow tune is bannanas. Would love to hear him doing more like that.

Can anyone break down some more info about Thizz/Thizzin' etc? I know that there's a Thizz crew but is there another meaning to the word?

Anyone looking for more info pick up the current Murder Dog (Keak Da Sneak cover) it's jammed with hyphy info and interviews, basically a bay/hyphy issue. Gotta big up Murder Dog everytime, miles and miles ahead with their ears locked on the gutter. They also reviewed Pow and Run The Road 1 in the same issue and gave 'em both good reviews.

C

captain easychord

heard some recent E-40 mixtape at a friend's and was all like "what the fuck, this stuff is craaaazy". glad to know what to call it now.

re: the E and underground hip hop thing seems like the pills are getting caned in houston as well. recent lil' webbie lyric off a recent rapid ric mixtape:

"now where big pop at?
you know he ratchet too
you know he take them x pills and pop 'em two by two"

there's been loads recently. or maybe i'm just starting to pick it up more. i always though that E was a girl drug in hip-hop but it seems like these guys have managed to incorporate taking quantities of pills into their bragadocio.

echevarian

babylon sister
Good blog for Bay Shit

http://strivin.blogspot.com/

Man knows what he's talking about.

I was hopin that we could get the Megatron talking about this stuff.

He's a Grime DJ in San Fran, I know he's got to have heard some of it.

Speaking of Murder Dog

http://www.murderdog.com/july_articles/dizzeerascal/dizzeerascal_interview.htm

Anyone seen this article?

Dizzee claims E-40 and the Three 6 as major influences.

Listen to Charlie Hustle and Boy in Da Corner back to back.

See what I mean.

Or alternately listen to some prime Three 6 like Project Pat,

then go listen to some early Fire Camp.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
been playing the fuck out ot da dummy and thizz music vol 3 for a while. have to say keak is my favourite dude and superhyphy really is a killer jam. mtv are doing a my block... bay area soon, which should be pretty good as the guy making it is from oakland, so it is actually his block. i'm heading out in may to do something in print for the uk, too.

petergunn

plywood violin
scarboi said:
Here's a little prediction,

by June everyones going to be on the Bay's dick.

already happened... after houston, the bay has been the next internet carpetbaggers scene of choice for the last 6 months or so... andre nicotina played at joe's pub 3 pr 4 months ago and it was packed... the question is, what scene is next????

showing my age

Am I the only one who thought this thread was gonna be about DJ Morocco Moe, Digital Underground, Juanito etc.....

oh well, showing my age again

echevarian

babylon sister
Seriously though, you should check some of this stuff out.

E-40s totally in the tradition of Digital Underground/Too-Short.

He's stayed true to the West Coast electro sound, along with G-Funk, for his entire career.

This recent stuff stays in that vein.

Thanks...
Digital Underground live in Dolores Park in SF was probably the best hip hop show I ever heard.
It's hard to hear the tracks you are talking about, I can't find it on Juno for example.
But mostly I can't stand MCs, I think DU were pretty special, no macho nonsense.

echevarian

babylon sister
Well there is definitely a lot of "macho-nonsense" but there is a also a lot of just plain E-d up weirdness.

Its really fun, strange music.

Some of it is totally hardcore rap, and some of the songs are just about getting stupid.

Its the mix of the two that interests me, but I'm a lot more used to listening to hardcore.