Touching the future (video)

D

droid

:mad: Argh! mustve missed that...

Ok - gotta come up with something equally futuristic then...

turtles

in the sea
There's been tons of research on tabletop displays for a while now (I built a wine-tasting tabletop display for a course project :D ), so it's cool to see this stuff coming out in production. BUT, that said, the bitter truth of most of the research that's gone on with this stuff is that though the interaction method is kinda cool, no ones actually found any really good application that really take advantage of the display. I laughed when I saw a pic of this in the paper today because, what was the application it had? Photo sharing. Photo-sharing table-top display papers are pretty much an entire genre unto themselves in CS. It's the only half-decent table-top application anyone's come up with. And everyone agrees that a table top display is a pretty expensive replacement for just printing some photos and spreading them out on a table

So yeah, cool technology, no killer app yet. Mind you getting it into the commercial domain rather than the academic will probably hugely increase the number of useful ideas for it...

I saw a guy playing music the other night, he had all his softsynths ad things in his computer and all the control surfaces on his lemur.
So instead of having to carry 10 midi controllers, he just had this one screen and could flick between the different control surfaces as he liked.
I wasn't into the music but the interface was pretty amazing, almost as much fun as having some actual synths (no sarcasm intended)