polystyle

Bassness

Thanks for that , Syn
As someone who enjoyed that Dub War night mentioned in the int.,
glad to hear he dug the night too ...
Don Q & Joe Nice , everyone made it work

borderpolice

listen to the kode :

I think the reason people find dubstep slow when you come from drum and bass is because there’s so much space in the music. In a sense it’s a more interactive music because you actually have to add yourself, you have to fill in the rhythm between the spaces yourself, make it up yourself​

the kode understands

Last edited:

synaptic

Global multinuum
borderpolice said:
listen to the kode :

I think the reason people find dubstep slow when you come from drum and bass is because there’s so much space in the music. In a sense it’s a more interactive music because you actually have to add yourself, you have to fill in the rhythm between the spaces yourself, make it up yourself​

the kode understands

yeah and this in a similar way:

Most of the people that produce and deejay dubstep were into jungle and it’s almost like we know jungle so well now that we don’t need to hear the fast breakbeats; it’s in our bodies already. What was exciting about jungle has almost been internalized into our systems, so we don’t need so many elements anymore to get the same vibe.​

bassnation

the abyss
borderpolice said:
listen to the kode :

the kode understands

i agree with this - but the same is true for a lot of dance music. when you first get into it, these things don't come straight away and tend to veer towards tunes that spell ideas out. later its almost like acheiving acololyte status or something - the merest hint will do.

hamzen

I found the interview interesting, but especially like the concept of hyperdub.

Looking at my own journey through the dance scene since 1990, from african headcharge, massive attack, innocence = natural thing, the orb, the holy ghost, dubby tribal house '92, proto drum'n'bass like Sweet harmony, dubby trip-hop, early d'n'b til '96, deep dubby new york house 94-5, Armand Van Helden, dubby garage like doolally's straight from the heart, til 2002, and although I then got into brazilian house it's the dubbier stuff I really liked, then dubstep, obviously a pretty key concept for me too :), bloody great to see it written up as affirmation though. Maybe I'm not as shallow as I thought I was :)

What's weird is that I've never been massively into dub pure, apart from Burning Spear and a bit of Gregory Isaacs