PDA

View Full Version : M.I.A. -- "Galang" on XL

dominic
08-12-2004, 03:09 AM
Heard this record this weekend. Thought it wonderful. UK garage with pop chops. 100% sugar content. Anyone familiar with it?

Also, heard last night that my favorite NYC dance band Kudu got signed by XL recordings

Pearsall
08-12-2004, 05:52 AM
video (http://www.cissme.com/beggars/rm/xl/mia/video/xls199cd-01_rvh.ram)

captain pineapple
08-12-2004, 07:24 AM
I saw the video for this about a month ago and totally loved it.

If there's a noughties version of 'pump up the jam' by technotronic, then this is it :D

nick.K
08-12-2004, 05:17 PM
it came out way over a year ago on the Showbiz Recordings. the single was produced by either Ross or Stewart from the Fat Truckers who own the label. M.I.A. is one of those people who'd be at 'the' parties a couple of years ago, living with with Justin3 Frishm^nn (elastica), and duely knows the cool music bizz crowd so I'm not surprised by her success at XL or the hipness of her collaborators on the album. The label's pulling out all the stops to make her the next big thing - dizzee bombed in the shops, but they know where their cred is strong: bloggers, filesharers; the underground critics - so they've cannily put out a mix on the MP3 scene with Hollertronix's Diplo, cheekily titled M.I.A and Diplo - Piracy Funds Terrorism, it's a preview of the album that blends in her influences. A shame they dropped Wiley and sunk so much into her cause they'll be sure to ditch her if the marketing budget and sales don't tally.

captain easychord
08-12-2004, 05:49 PM
don't really hear the UKG in it to be honest. sounds like a pretty straight up dancehall beat.

stelfox
08-12-2004, 05:53 PM
there's plenty of grimy influence. i'm bored with her already, though.

nick.K
08-12-2004, 07:02 PM

agreed, I wouldn't call her versatile so I'm not expecting much and it's the grime bounce that attracted me. and as Jim Daze rightly pointed out it doesn't sound that great in clubs cause of how it was mastered.

captain easychord
08-12-2004, 07:18 PM

how? not trying to be snide here, i just don't hear the garage influence.

that 'boom---boom-bap--boom---boom-bap' sounds like it was lifted directly from "limb by limb".

Logan Sama
09-12-2004, 10:02 AM
This music, nor MIA have ANYTHING to do with Grimey Garage or that whole scene. So don't be confused into mis-representing the genre by including this in it. Cheers.

stelfox
09-12-2004, 10:45 AM
how? not trying to be snide here, i just don't hear the garage influence.

that 'boom---boom-bap--boom---boom-bap' sounds like it was lifted directly from "limb by limb".

yeah but she's done a lot more than just galang and trust me, quite a bit of the programming (ie the *tone*) *bites on* grime. i'm not saying she has anything to do with grime. she doesn't but she's quite happy to dine out on it, dancehall likewise. i'd like to be able to say that she has fuck all to do with ragga, but unforunately she has, using terms like galang, the aollo aollo rhythm on that piracy funds terrorism mix. doesn't stop me finding her stuff to be little more than fashionably opportunistic crap, though

hint
09-12-2004, 12:24 PM
art school crew in full effect

justine frischman is co-writer as well

I prefer "sunshowers" to galang

I agree that the grime influence is not really there - these sounds have been used in dancehall and drum and bass for years. the tempo is also closer to dancehall than grime.

captain easychord
09-12-2004, 01:33 PM
stelfox i've heard 4 or 5 tracks and with the exceptions of sunshowers they ALL have that dancehall shuffle. maybe some of the tones are techy but i think a lot of that has to do with the fact that she's using the roland groovebox to compose all of her music (notice the similarity to the kind of textures peaches uses.... right down to some of the same distorted drums .... wouldn't really call HER grime either.) you're right though when you say she's "dining out" on it. i mean, she's almost 30, she was roommates with JF for fuck's sake, she was probably into britpop until last year... :rolleyes:

either way, serious dilettante art-school bizniss inna da place. the current critical discourse seems to hold her as the paragon of world music.... don't really get how 'world music' can be ecapsulated in one person anyhoo.... : as long as we both agree she's shite. cheers!

mms
09-12-2004, 06:21 PM
it came out way over a year ago on the Showbiz Recordings. the single was produced by either Ross or Stewart from the Fat Truckers who own the label. M.I.A. is one of those people who'd be at 'the' parties a couple of years ago, living with with Justin3 Frishm^nn (elastica), and duely knows the cool music bizz crowd so I'm not surprised by her success at XL or the hipness of her collaborators on the album. The label's pulling out all the stops to make her the next big thing - dizzee bombed in the shops, but they know where their cred is strong: bloggers, filesharers; the underground critics - so they've cannily put out a mix on the MP3 scene with Hollertronix's Diplo, cheekily titled M.I.A and Diplo - Piracy Funds Terrorism, it's a preview of the album that blends in her influences. A shame they dropped Wiley and sunk so much into her cause they'll be sure to ditch her if the marketing budget and sales don't tally.

there has been a hand painted only avaliable at ruff trade single for a while too,
isn't steve mackey involved as well, geezer from pulp, my mate shared an office with him some time ago and he was playing the diwali riddim album when i went there once, that was odd.

i rate the b side to sunshowers but not really feeling the rest of it tho i'd like to hear more about her old man who was apparently a tamil tiger, and they're very interesting.

DavidD
09-12-2004, 09:57 PM
It may seem, erm, opportunistic for me to say this on dissensus where the talk is pretty anti-MIA but I don't really dig her stuff at all. And the MIA/Diplo thing is hella overrated.

nick.K
09-12-2004, 10:59 PM
It may seem, erm, opportunistic for me to say this on dissensus where the talk is pretty anti-MIA but I don't really dig her stuff at all. And the MIA/Diplo thing is hella overrated.
hella overrated, she looks right, that's all

DavidD
09-12-2004, 11:13 PM
"Galang" will probably make my singles list, but it won't be in front of scores of other dancehall or grime tracks.

Matos_W.K.
09-12-2004, 11:57 PM
one of my seven or eight favorite singles this year, easily. who CARES whether she ripped someone off? [haha cue loads of more-indignant-than-thou replies]

Woebot
10-12-2004, 12:03 AM
sfj sent me this, and i understand catchdubs' crew have some hand in it. so i probably ought to tread carefully however, i was not terribly impressed. she seems likely to sell to people who don't know what they're buying into. justin= fri%hman! it's not exactly what you call pedigree is it?

beyond these kind of slightly facile credibility issues (ok so what at the end of the day) i thought the beats were poorly produced, sounds like a promo to me (!) and there was a dearth of half decent tunes. and actually there's something mildly dishonest about the whole project that slightly rankles.

as for logan sama's comments. well yeah i don't hear the grime thing at all (it's a dancehall rip-off isn't it?) but it's yet another good reason that the grime artists need to get their act together and put the stuff out.

Matos_W.K.
10-12-2004, 12:20 AM
to me it sounds like a girl group record--as in "Iko Iko" not "Say My Name."

mpc
10-12-2004, 01:12 AM
the kids love it. ross orton remix is good. good mainly due to ross orton (fat truckers). elctro ragga.

Backjob
10-12-2004, 01:26 AM
What Matos said on the credibility issue.

So long as you don't judge it as any kind of a scene record, I think Galang is pretty good fun - the "hey ya heyyyy" chant bit is nice. And the MIA/Diplo thing isn't like any sort of work of genius, but the tunes they choose on it are all good'ns.

Put it this way, if she <i>didn't</i> have that background, it would be seen as an enjoyable novelty instead of a reprehensible rip-off...

Backjob
10-12-2004, 01:28 AM
I mean, otherwise it's like hating on Talking Heads for ripping off "proper disco". Not that I even like Talking Heads, but I still think that'd be a dumb-ass line to take...

DavidD
10-12-2004, 02:42 AM
Erg the problem with criticizing it is i feel like no matter what i say about the song its going to be too far in either direction.
I don't think its a BAD song. I said "I don't like it at all" but that was a lie. I like it ok. There's just an overwhelming hype that accompanies it riding this wave of eclecticism and timing. Song of the year? Its cool, but jeez...and the MIA Diplo thing was interesting in parts, boring in others, and i never really listened to it that much. I didn't say "oh this sucks" but...

now I sound like riding the fence. Well, fuck you I am. ;)

it is safe here.

DigitalDjigit
10-12-2004, 04:57 AM
What does "galang" mean in dancehall?

stelfox
10-12-2004, 11:45 AM
yeah but matos the fact is that it is just NOT GOOD MUSIC. i couldn't give a fuck what she's ripping off if she's doing it well. unfortunately she is not. i do find it very strange how americans seem to rate MIA waaay more than brits.

Woebot
10-12-2004, 12:32 PM
yeah but matos the fact is that it is just NOT GOOD MUSIC.
well i'm kinda taken with matos's recontextualisation. "iko iko", hmm. glad he can get something out of it.

not so sure the talking heads/disco thing carries much weight. in these instances its always the recontextualisation thats interesting. you couldnt accuse talking heads of being anything but nerdy college dudes. it's when people try and slip under the radar, pull a fast one that i get irked. (scratches head) somehow i'd be much less annoyed by M.I.A. if she was a white rock chick. horrible to admit........

dubplatestyle
10-12-2004, 12:35 PM
her backstory seems pretty hardcore. (i don't make determinations about whether or not it makes people "credible." i don't think ex-crack dealers are cool people either.) she could be making it all up too. would that make it better or worse?

i like her.

DavidD
10-12-2004, 12:37 PM
She can't be THAT hardcore, she hasn't sampled Pilot yet. Killa Cam is the barometer by which hardcore shall be measured.

Ned
10-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Whatever people say about her production being derivative or dishonest or whatever, I think she's a far better MC than most of the grime MCs that get all this hype.

Clubberlang
10-12-2004, 04:40 PM

I love quotes like this followed (and preceded) by miles of speculation about how she only got where she was because she's "pretty" and then finger-pointing at Justine Frischman and then digs at art students (haha and this is a joke, right, I mean wtf is this board if not a haven for geeky art kids) and oh then the race card (classy.)

hint
10-12-2004, 05:02 PM
don't think anyone's had a go at art school students have they? that's the initial connection between her and justine frischman, isn't it?

M.I.A. did artwork for elastica... who were kinda ahead of their time in the sense that they sounded, back then, the same as how a lot of bands sound right now...

and "galang" kinda means the same as "gwan" if used as an exclamation... think it's a shortened form of "go along" (whereas gwan is "go on")... but kinda means the same as "come on then, let's 'ave it!" if you just say it on its own - "galang! galang!"

DavidD
10-12-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm not choosing sides here but I assumed those jabs were more intended to explain the positive press surrounding average music rather than saying "she sucks bcuz she is not real."

captain easychord
10-12-2004, 05:05 PM
What does "galang" mean in dancehall?

galangal is a kind of spice used in thai cooking.

stelfox
10-12-2004, 05:26 PM
galang means "go along", " on your way" etc as in "galang 'bout yuh business"

jed_
10-12-2004, 07:22 PM
love it - one of the years best tunes. It's amusing the way people's peceptions of it changed after they heard who was involved. she's a terrible dancer though!

Matos_W.K.
10-12-2004, 08:41 PM

yes it is.

DavidD
10-12-2004, 09:21 PM
No you are.

mms
10-12-2004, 10:00 PM
blimey, as mutant dancehall goes it's alright, i'm sure she's very nice and like alot of pop people she has a ghost writer and a production team, she's not an auteur? big deal.i've heard it come from one car where i live so erm is that ok?
i prefer the b side to sunshowers, the second one but the best one that team have done is the lovers: sex club imo, that's ace.

Matos_W.K.
10-12-2004, 10:31 PM
but what am I?

mms
10-12-2004, 10:33 PM
but what am I?

you are the music :D , i think that's what david d's trying to say

Telephone Thing
12-12-2004, 12:59 AM
I quite like it, but then the fact that I know fuck-all about dancehall, grime or ragga, live in the US, and was eleven when the "Connection"/"Three Girl Rhumba" debacle happened and have no opinion one way or the other re: Justine Frischmann might have something to do with it...

Stelfox, thanks for the clarification on "galang"- was wondering about that.

Kuma
12-12-2004, 02:07 AM
I like it.
Then again, I like this Hatcha vs Benny Ill ep I just bought.
Then again, I also like merzbow.

weird.

Flyboy
12-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Fuck a backlash. I think M.I.A. is great, and that Piracy Funds Terrorism is full of really great songs - 'Fire Fire', 'Lady Killer', 'Bucky Done Gun Song', 'You're Good', 'URAQT', 'Amazon', to name a few. There are certainly some interesting things to be said about the way in which her music is self-conscious about her background - "my dad's a freedom fighter, dog", etc - but the joyless, kneejerk "she is fashionable, that's bad, also the filthy taint of Britpop is upon her" isn't one of them.

gragy10
14-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Hmm - Galang's a good pop song, easily one of the best from this year but the mixtape struck me as a let down and pretty dull - too many pointless bootlegs (tho admittedly the big pimpin' ones pretty cool).
I'm amazed that people can still be bothered to get indignant about someones marketting spin (in the Music Industry?! God, No!) but whatever....

Rachel Verinder
15-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Tyrone had it playing in his car in Corrie the other week!

I just fall for the record as great pop. I don't ask for the artist's application form and CV every time I listen. Doesn't bother me whether it's "real" or not. Real is overrated. Anyway if we got rid of all slumming middle-class fakers, then that would mean no Beatles, no Stones, no Who, no Pistols and no Clash. And no records by drug dealers? Wow there go all my Miles Davis records and 70% of my hip hop collection right out the window! Never mind! There's always Tracy Chapman!