1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

D

droid

Seems more like a list of Booker favourites/bestsellers to me... 'Fury' by Rushdie.... why???? :confused:

IdleRich

IdleRich
I agree, it looks as though they've taken every author who has won a major prize and then included all of their books.
I'm not certain it is the list that's in this book that's coming out by the way but it has exactly the same title and if it's not that then what is it? Any info appreciated.

Rambler

Awanturnik
It looks similar to that Boxall list - I ran the same tests on it and got the same results: ie, far too much McEwan, no Czeslaw Milosz (another Nobel winner, lets not forget), no Havel, no Klima, no Paradiso, no Hopscotch (!!!), no Monterosso.

But on the whole not too bad a list, as long as you overlook the blind spots over Latin American and East European literature.

Oh, and 253 should be there too...

And Heller's Something Happened...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah it is very Anglo-Amero centric but that kind of goes without saying.

Something Happened is an extremely nasty book although I did enjoy it.

Sorry to show my ignorance but what's 253?

Rambler

Awanturnik
The Geoff Ryman hypertext novel - see here. It was originally a website, but you can buy the book too. It's a classic of its type.

Yeah, Something Happened is nasty, but excellent - at least as good as Catch-22 I reckon.

STN

sou'wester
Funnily enough, my g/f bought this yesterday. To be honest I'm glad that a few years ago I gave up on Ken Kesey's second novel (which is in there) and spent the time reading Wolf Solent (which isn't) instead. It is an interesting list though. Not sure we need Dark as the Grave Wherein my Friend is Laid AND Under the Volcano, I mean they're both good but you have to be conscious that one was included at the expense of something else. Some authors are really over-represented.

Edit: was glad to see City Sister Silver in there. I'd class that as a worthwhile struggle.

Last edited:

leamas

Seems more like a list of Booker favourites/bestsellers to me... 'Fury' by Rushdie.... why???? :confused:

Easily his worst book, by a long way. Wouldn't recommend anyone read this.

Satanic Verses was great, so was Grimus, the rest I can take or leave.