Grime Mixtapes Worth Listening To

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
Stuff like Aim High, Vol. 2 and the RWD mixtape immediately come to mind. I've also grown to like JME's Boy Better Know. Any other mixtapes you could call great?

C

captain easychord

the ghetto mixtape has a few good bits, but i think he's pretty overrated on the whole. he gets kind of monotonoous.

the eye of the tiger mixtape has some brilliant snatches, but a lot of it is hampered by bait crossover material. it's really well produced though; WD25 would be the highlight.

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
Yeah, I forgot about Eye of the Tiger. Love the production and I LOVE WD25 but there's way too much grime n' b nonsense on there. I thought Shyam's tracks were kinda alright but the rest of the stuff doesn't sit well with me at all.

killuridols

Change the game
JME's is probably the best out at the moment.

Ghetto's was dissapointing, but some of the tracks like 'levels' show that he is actually rather good at what he does.

Why is that grime mc's overload their mixtapes with us Hip Hop tracks though?

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
the rinsessions pack is incredible
guns n roses vol.1
industry standard vol.1
bossman's top of da underground is worth checking out
JME too

aim high2 is my favourite though

eye of the tiger was wrecked by the whole of the first half being RnB, who wants to hear that?

isn't tinchy strider supposed to have a new mixtape out soon, any news on that?

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Tinchy's CD will be out very soon.

JME's Boy Better Know: Poomplex Edition 2 is on the horizon too

MC Narstie "I'm Better Than You" CD is worth checking out as well. I rate his MCing and there's some big P jam beats on there.

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Eye of the Tiger is really quality, despite the density of r&g.
Doctor's mixtape holds up to repeated listenings too, unlike Ghettos.

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
Blackdown said:
Eye of the Tiger is really quality, despite the density of r&g.
Doctor's mixtape holds up to repeated listenings too, unlike Ghettos.

R&G, grime n' b...it's all the same to me. ;)

Blackdown

nexKeysound
actually i was thinking about my comment, it might give the wrong impression - some of the r&g on here is really good. it's great to hear slick US-inspired r&b singers using english road expressions.

actually the CD is full of surprises. B Live is heavy. Bear Man's b2b with Doctor is hillarious.

C

captain easychord

i agree with blackdown, the eye of the tiger mixtape has really raised the bar in terms of songwriting, production and musicality. even if some of the rnb stuff is a little cringey, it's all very well done for what it is. mixtapes are allowed to have rnb on them, there's not some unwritten rule that says all the underground stuff has to be dark and avant-garde. in the states even big gangsta rap mixtape DJ's like Envy will put out rnb tapes. i generally prefer more upfront hardcore stuff but you can tell that true tiger are committed to their ideas, the vocal elements feel integral to their stuff rather than tacked on.

re: logan's comment, OTM. ghetto has got skills and lyrics but when i listen to that mixtape it feels kind of directionless, not to mention horribly mastered and engineered. he needs a good producer to help him shape some of his ideas.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
ghetto's mixtape is so bleak, it's chilling.

also most of his beats sound derivative. he needs riddims from someone like wiley, terror danjah, wonder, danny weed or target behind him.

Fiddy

i was feeling Ghetto's way more than Doctors. Agree it could be better, but Ghetto is disgusting on wax and live.

Ones I regularly listen to, which aren't necessarily 100% grime, but worthy regardless;

Kano Beats & Bars
Bossmans Street Anthems 1 & 2
Ghetto 2000 & Life
JME Boy Better Know Shu Hut Yuh Mut (or whatever)
Eye of The Tiger Vol. 1
DJ Cheeky Underground Vibes
Aim High 1, 2, 3
Creeper Vol. 1 (if u can find it)
Dirty Canvas The Legacy
Essentials Heating
Durrty Goodz Durrty Whirl
Logan Sama CD's
Ears Breath of Fresh Ears
Nasty Crew Nasty Show 2002

C

captain easychord

^^^ what's the deal with the durrty goodz one? ever gonna get released?

Keith P

draw for the drumstick
couple mixsets on my myspace. old news for most people on here. Gonna be putting up a new mixtape in the near future.

Immryr

am i the only person who listens to the cold blooded mix tape?? when i first got this i really wasnt impressed, but then i cut out a bunch of the tracks on there i thought were surplus and ive left myself with 13 tracks which i listen to constantly.