Will GRIME ever make it in America?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Personally I don't really think so, despite what the believers feel or think. I'll tell ya why. Old Dirty Bastard did a neo-grime album nearly 7 years ago called 'Nigga Please' - maybe not as frenetic as 'grime' but defintely glimpses of the genre. especially vocal-sonics. Sure there are some sonique breakthoughs in the grime sound, but just as DnB didn't make it coz the yanks were already doing the Florida Bass sound 5 years before.

Maybe the Rolling Stones need to endorse grime, but Mick is still shaking his ass to NY house, so maybe the next genre will cut it. But really, who cares if it blows in the US, really? Does it need to?

BrokenFist

Crackin Skulls
It would be nice if it did - I don't see anything wrong with the sound spreading to new places. But the US is a hard market to crack and I honestly wouldn't be too bothered if grime didn't make it here.

What do hip-hop artists think of grime? I mean, is grime creeping in as an influence to them?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
oh god not this again. sadly grime can't even break London yet, it's absurd to speculate if it will break the US. you might as well ask if broken beat will!

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Grime = UK Culture. Only people who want to buy into UK Culture will care about it, so probably no, it won't get massive in the US. But it might have 1 or 2 crossover artists or tracks.

tox

Factory Girl
Blackdown said:
oh god not this again. sadly grime can't even break London yet, it's absurd to speculate if it will break the US. you might as well ask if broken beat will!

I'm not sure about the States, but i honestly believe that Broken Beat is more likely to blow-up worldwide than Grime.

Despite having a very small London base Broken seems to be made throughout the world. Add to that the fact that it doesn't require knowledge of local colloquialisms or accents, and it is straight away more easy to accept globally. I know that out here in Japan, guys like Phil Asher, Domu and Seiji are all very well respected. Their sound has a worldwide "pre-made" audience just through fans of Gilles Peterson, Jazzanova etc...

(having typed that, I'm not sure if the tone of your original post is supposed to mean a; broken beat will never blow-up, or b; it has already)

Buick6

too punk to drunk
..yeah DnB Is quite popular in the USofA. So is that Ghetto-house-booty thing that they mix it together with...Also remember that Zac DeLaRocha left Rage to do DnB and shit that was more proactively underground and politically charged. Also Dn'B was more restful to it's American influences (like the Rolling Bones), often throwing in choice old-school hiphop choons into the mix.

Last edited:

gumdrops

Buick6 said:
Old Dirty Bastard did a neo-grime album nearly 7 years ago called 'Nigga Please' - maybe not as frenetic as 'grime' but defintely glimpses of the genre. especially vocal-sonics.
ODB's album doesnt sound anything like grime. maybe a few songs are like the hip-hoppier grime tracks, but otherwise, not really.

as far as grime blowing up in the US, there's a massive previous thread by poisonous dart on this board that discusses it. i think the conclusion most people came to that its never going to happen.

bassnation

the abyss
gumdrops said:
as far as grime blowing up in the US, there's a massive previous thread by poisonous dart on this board that discusses it. i think the conclusion most people came to that its never going to happen.

who cares whether the hordes of the midwest ever get it?

surely "breaking america" is something that only record company execs worry about. the whole phrase just brings to mind sales revenues, balance sheets and markets. fuck all that.

echevarian

babylon sister
Well I was kind of hoping that some of the "hordes of the midwest" might get it.

Might be easier to get gigs that way.

bassnation

the abyss
scarboi said:
Well I was kind of hoping that some of the "hordes of the midwest" might get it.

Might be easier to get gigs that way.

lol, i didn't mean for that to sound derogatory btw - was thinking more of the sheer numbers of people in midwest - the kind of figures that might have record execs salivating at the thought.

gumdrops

xpost - it doesnt bother me that grime does or doesnt break the midwest. i think british urban artists need to stop worrying about breaking america and concentrate on breaking the UK. the whole 'breaking america' thing is really overrated.

rubberdingyrapids

amazing. idk if i think that much of his slightly hammy dancehall vocals, but good for him for still being about and doing well. didnt expect to hear a grime mc working with skrillex, and funny that its flowdan, ie someone who americans might think of as being jamaican, rather than obviously british, so i guess the answer to this thread is that america is still not ready for british MCs.

version

amazing. idk if i think that much of his slightly hammy dancehall vocals, but good for him for still being about and doing well. didnt expect to hear a grime mc working with skrillex, and funny that its flowdan, ie someone who americans might think of as being jamaican, rather than obviously british, so i guess the answer to this thread is that america is still not ready for british MCs.

This is decent, especially around 8 mins and 14:50. Mad remixes of Rhythm & Gash and Pulse X at 17:35 and 26:55 too.